1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Does the Prius actually have a Neutral?

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by demiller9, Mar 15, 2010.

1. demiller9

demiller9 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Forgive me if this is a stupid question, my Prius is on order. I've read about how the Hybrid Synergy drive works, and the PSD, and don't understand the suggestion to put the Prius into Neutral to stop SUA (Sudden Unintended Acceleration).

My understanding is that the Prius transmission has no clutch, and there is just one always engaged gear (a planetary set). So how can you put that into Neutral? I understand on the Prius Neutral is just a command to the ECU to run MG1 in a contrary manner to prevent the ICE from making the car move. Is there actually a Neutral?

2. wwest40

wwest40 Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    I
    The HSD system goes into neutral by "programming" the motor/generators to rotate COUNTER to the ICE, if the ICE is running. The HSD drive system, ICE, MG1, MG2, is NEVER mechanically "uncoupled" from the drive wheels.

3. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    The ICE is not directly pushing the wheels, resistance from MG1 forces Engine power to the wheels. (In heretical mode, MG1 is pushing through the engine) If MG1 and MG2 are not producing or consuming power, the ICE has nothing to push against, so it turns freely.

I use this visual aid when text is not enough

A simulation of Prius's Planetary Gear

You can push up the red lever alone and the wheels never turn.

There is no Neutral in the sense of the Engine rotation not rotating the PSD, only in the sense of not rotating the wheels.

4. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    In the simplest case, if you remove all power from the motor-generators (MG1 & MG2), all the engine (ICE) can do is spin MG1 as a freewheel. Shut off the electricity to the MGs, and everything stops.

Tom