1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Does the search feature even work on this site?

Discussion in 'PriusChat Website Questions' started by Silver 2008, Nov 3, 2008.

1. Silver 2008

Silver 2008 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I have tried to use the search feature in the past and got frustrated. Today I was trying to find a specific post that I could remember the title of. It was "Too much oil."

I tried to do a search for "too much oil" and it found no matches. I kept narrowing the search, all the way to just "oil" which should find a ton of posts. It still had no matches.

So what is wrong with the search feature?

Mike

2. jelloslug

jelloslug It buffed right out!

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    The search feature on this type of forum software is poor at best. I have the same problem with any forum that uses this software.

3. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Use google, and specify the site to be priuschat.com, like this example:

- Google Search

Tom

4. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  5. Silver 2008

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Thanks Danny. I guess the search box at the top does not work, but the Google one does. I thought the Google search tool would search the entire web and not just PriusChat.

I learned something new today.

Mike

6. jpadc

jpadc Type before I think too often

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the tip Danny. I guess that makes me want to ask the question about why you use vBulletin for the PriusChat site? I know absolutely NOTHING about software solutions for community user group sites like this, so my query is merely out of curiosity. I was just wondering if you would be willing to describe why you chose this software and what you like / don't like about it for this application.

Thanks again (see my other posts) to all of those who put forth such efforts to make this site possible for the rest of us.

7. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Mike,

The search feature works -- both in its basic and advanced search modes. But it has problems searching words with fewer than 4 letters.

Your search phrase "Too much oil" had two 3-letter words, which drove the search feature nuts.

The search feature's google mode also works great because it google searches PriusChat and one other board.

I use the search feature in all three modes -- basic, advanced (including sub-modes like posts, thread titles, user posts, threads started by user) and google -- depending on what I think is best for my search.

8. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    What Boo said. Most forum searches won't allow keywords smaller than 4 characters in length.

9. Silver 2008

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Good to know. Silly, but good to know.

Thanks.

Mike