1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Does the split window make cars look closer?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by w1ngnut, Dec 23, 2011.

1. w1ngnut

w1ngnut New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I've noticed on this forum (I'm new) that a lot of people comment on how people behind them ride their bumper. I've noticed it too, but I wonder if it just appears that way or if it is indeed the case that they are too close. Comments?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    :car:i think any hatchback makes them look closer than a car with a trunk, but they are still way too close.

3. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I agree with this. We humans judge distance partially by perspective. Part of this perspective is the relative size of the trailing vehicle in your rear window. A nearer window makes the trailing vehicle look smaller. A more distant window, such as with a Prius, makes the trailing vehicle fill more of the window, so it looks closer.

Tom

4. Canard

Canard Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    One of my favourite features of the split window (at night) is that tailgater's blinding headlights are blocked by the split. :)

-Iain

5. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Yes, it does. Just something you get used to.

6. Pri4Us

Pri4Us Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    That is rather nice... unless the guy behind you is driving one of those jacked-up pickup trucks.

BTW, I noticed early on that we actually have a bit of curvature in the glass that extends horizontally the full width of the rear window. This causes a slight amount of optical distortion up to near the level of the lowest defroster element trace. I wonder if all Gen III Prii rear window glass exhibits this trait?

7. energyandair

energyandair Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Another factor may be that we tend to judge distance of the car behind by distance from the rear window which we can see clearly rather than the back of our car which we cannot.

The rear window of a hatchback is noticeably closer to the car behind than the rear window of a sedan. This is particularly true of a hatchback with a Kamm back and a 2 part rear window like the Prius.

8. NargilFenris

NargilFenris Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I have noticed it in mine but the distortion seems to be as it gets closer to the bottom.

9. dsharp88

dsharp88 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I think it just appears that way because hatchbacks have an abrupt "cut off" by design.

10. cap160

cap160 Older Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
  11. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It seems to, though it may be more a feature of the glass than the split. I notice it most when parking - the car I thought I was going to back into is always a safe distance when I get out to look.

12. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney EditProfOptInfoCustomUser Title

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If you want to see that drivers simply drive too close, just do a brief count when as you pass a marker.

Many drivers drive too close to each other. It's dangerous, the cause of a large number of accidents, including fatal ones, and it wastes gasoline too.

13. fulltank

fulltank New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Think I have more trouble judging the distance in the front than from the rear. I pull into a spot only to find that I had a good couple of feet to spare? This vehicle is hard to judge the front because you can't see anything beyond the windshield...