1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Does the standard warranty include roadside assist?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Jeannie, Jun 30, 2006.

1. Jeannie

Jeannie Proud Prius Granny

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I'm about to take my first trip longer than 25 miles after 10 weeks of ownership - heading about 250 miles north to see my grandsons (almost 5 and 18 months), so I was wondering if I have roadside assistance, and how to reach them if I need them.

2. seasalsa

seasalsa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I believe that roadside assistance ws discontinued for the 06 due to lack of usage on the 04-05. I know that I lnever used it before it ran out at 36K.
    If in doubt just check your warranty booklet.

3. mcbrunnhilde

mcbrunnhilde Opera singin' Prius nut!

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Roadside assistance was included with the Prius tire warranty and both were discontinued for '06. I had assumed it was because of cost! I used it once when I had a flat and didn't know about it. I damaged it enough when driving that I got a new tire out of it for free. :)

You do get it with the extended warranty, though. If you don't have that, get AAA or http://www.betterworldclub.com/ (which offers discounts for hybrid cars).

4. rufaro

rufaro WeePoo, Gen II

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mcbrunnhilde @ Jun 30 2006, 08:45 PM) [snapback]279504[/snapback]</div>
    I've been told by another PC'er that all roadside assist has been discontinued, extended warranty or not--and I still want to know what the &*(&^*^( I am supposed to do if something covered breaks down when I am in the middle of nowhere and want to use some of the bennies of the extended w'ty, apart from calling AAA, because they keep threatening to cut us off if we call them more than some ridiculously low number of times per year (mostly our calls have been for stuff like dead batteries in the middle of nowhere...).

5. mcbrunnhilde

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rufaro @ Jun 30 2006, 11:36 PM) [snapback]279571[/snapback]</div>
    Sorry for the misinformation--I thought I had always heard that the extended warranty kept up the roadside assistance that the '04 & '05 people got with the tire warranty. Actually, all you get is towing IF the repair is covered under the extended warranty. Here's the text:

TOWING BENEFIT:

If a covered component mechanically fails, as determinded by the Administrator, You are entitled to reimbursement for Your towing expenses to the nearest dealership or authorized repair facility, up to the limites specified in the Vehicle Service Agreement Informaion. Licensed professional towing agencies' or auto dealers' receipts will be required for reimbursement. Your deductible does not apply to this benefit. For reimbursement please refer to the "How to Submit Claims" section. This benefit will only apply upon authorization of a covered repair.

Of course, the towing is "unlimited" so it's great if you're out in the boonies. If you tend to let the battery go down, then I guess getting roadside assistance with your auto insurance is the cheapest way to go (maybe $20 a year????).

6. rufaro

rufaro WeePoo, Gen II

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mcbrunnhilde @ Jul 1 2006, 01:41 AM) [snapback]279598[/snapback]</div>
    Therein lies the problem...if I "overuse" my AAA, they're gonna dump me. If I am in the middle of nowhere in the middle of the night and one of my "covered components" that is needed to run the car fails, is there a 24/7 Toyota warranty # to call to get a tow to come, or am I on my own, and then just HOPE that Toyota'll pay me back? Or is it like an HMO, where if you get unauthorized treatment you have to fight to get it covered? (I was once hospitalized, under my hmo policy, and my HMO doc was off for a weekend. I had to fight when the hmo bean counters told me I was supposed to have gotten prior authorization for treatment by a non-plan doc...That's a conversation I can hear, yes please, my doctor is away and this other guy who isn't one of your docs is covering my docs inpatient rounds, will you please authorize this? Not until you fill out these forms in triplicate. Um, which forms? The ones we will mail you in 8-10 working days. Umm, I don't THINK I'll still be hospitalized then...am I allowed to croak without triplicate?)

AND, if I use my AAA, technically there IS no charge to be reimbursed...Is there an answer to this that I will like, or is this my first BIG Toyota gripe?

7. duanerw

duanerw senior member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I have an 06 pkg 4 and the roadside assistance phone number is on my drivers side back door window.

8. rufaro

rufaro WeePoo, Gen II

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(duanerw @ Jul 1 2006, 05:09 AM) [snapback]279623[/snapback]</div>
    Would you mind sharing? I sure would like to have that puppy! (That's one pup the other pup won't get jealous of...)

9. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rufaro @ Jul 1 2006, 05:16 AM) [snapback]279602[/snapback]</div>
    the rules are as such:
    if it's a warranty issue, the tow is covered. nothing like health insurance where you have to get prior authorization or anything, the car fails, the part's under warranty, the tow's covered. i don't know the exact steps to handle the reimbursement, and we're taking off for a 1200 mile trip this afternoon, so if you remind me in a week i can look it up ;)

if it's not a warranty issue (say you run out of gas and don't realize it- yes it pops up on PC regularly- and have the car towed in) then the towing expense is up to you.

warranty is basically designed to cover expenses related to repairing inherent things that can go wrong- a pump fails, a hose breaks, whatever. it doesn't cover things that the owner is responsible for maintaining such as proper gas levels, or botched modifications to the vehicle done by the owner.

make sense? and like i said, if you remind me next week i can look up how DH's workplace deals with the warranty and towing situation.

10. mcbrunnhilde

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    :unsure: :unsure: <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rufaro @ Jul 1 2006, 02:16 AM) [snapback]279602[/snapback]</div>
    Well, if you think you might "overuse" your AAA, there's nothing that says you can't have two roadside assistance providers! The cheapest way (I think) would be to get it through your auto insurance (it might even be a free benefit), so I'd investigate that first if you tend to run out of gas or have flat tires.

If you KNOW the problem with a disabled car is something under warranty, it looks like you have to arrange for towing on your own and get reimbursed after the "administrator" determines whether or not the problem is under warranty. Most roadside assistance plans allow for a short tow, most premium plans allow up to 100 miles, but the extended warranty reimburses you to the nearest Toyota dealership or authorized repair facility, however far that is. It looks like a combination of the warranty and a roadside plan will cover you best, and I guess you just need to have a backup plan like Better World Club if AAA dumps you (or use your car insurance roadside assistance first and have AAA as the backup). :unsure:

11. Miss_Taz

Miss_Taz New Member

Or you could opt for AAA "PLUS", which is like $78 a year instead of $46, and has no limit on the # of calls for help...

I've had this for years...

12. marjflowers

marjflowers New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I have an 06 package 2, and the Pocket Reference Guide says:

Complimentary Roadside Assistance for 3 years/36,000 miles. Ask your dealer for details.

Prius 24-Hour Roadside Assistance includes:

1. Towing for mechanical breakdown and jumpstart 12V battery only
    2. Toll-free number, 24hours 7 days a week
    3. Lockout protection
    4. Flat tire changes
    5. Fluid delivery
    6. Road hazard
    7. Concierge service
    8. Mechanical first aid

Toyota Prius Roadside Assistance
    1-877-304-6495

Peace --