1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Does the taillight stay on during day?

Discussion in 'Gen 5 Prius Main Forum' started by JB88, Oct 23, 2023.

1. JB88

JB88 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Can someone tell me if the new Prius always has the taillight bar on — even during daytime conditions? Or would you have to turn on full lights for this? I like the feature some cars (BMW, etc.) have where the rear lights are always on.

2. aforkosh

aforkosh Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    I had this question yesterday when we finally had some light rain in the Bay Area. The DRL or Auto position on the switch only lights the Daytime Running Lights (headlights running at dimmer than low beam). However, the position on the switch above that (and below full-on) runs the DRLs but also adds the side marker, parking, LED accessories lamp (if equipped), tail, license plate, and instrument panel lights. This is from the 2023 Prius Owners Manual, pages 199 and 200.

I verified the operation yesterday since I wanted to know how to have the tail lights on without fully turning on the headlights.

3. priusmouse

priusmouse Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    Do you think it is safer to run the one in the middle rather than the DRLs during the day? I;ve always wondered about this. Sometimes I feel like people dont see me during the day and I put it up to the full-on level.

But, I worry that IF the back lights are on all the time during these higher settings, maybe people behind me wont be able to distinguish it from when I brake, thus increasing the likelihood of them rear-ending me?

daisy555 likes this.
  4. priusmouse

priusmouse Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    Do you think it is safer to run the one in the middle rather than the DRLs during the day? I;ve always wondered about this. Sometimes I feel like people dont see me during the day and I put it up to the full-on level.

But, I worry that IF the back lights are on all the time during these higher settings, maybe people behind me wont be able to distinguish it from when I brake, thus increasing the likelihood of them rear-ending me?