1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Does the Techstream read subcodes on gen1?

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by AlexY, Jan 9, 2014.

1. AlexY

AlexY Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sorry if there is answer somewhere but digged a bit and not sure, so need final answer for the question from the topic.
    My 2001 Prius just died, probably ran out of fuel (was on reserve for 2 days) and does not starts now, got error code P3191 (from scanmaster) but without subcode I have no idea what is going on, checked some basic things like throttle, coolant pump, oil, recharged HV battery as it stopped even crank the ICE. It is very common problem I see but every case have different cause.

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    1. Add fuel to the fuel tank
    2. Disconnect the 12V battery for a few minutes to clear the DTC
    3. If you still have problems, clean the throttle body interior and throttle plate. Do not contaminate the MAF sensor.

3. AlexY

AlexY Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for answer, I found these suggestions on forum before posted my question.
    1. done (UK model does not have bladder), half tank of petrol now.
    2. done, actually all of this happened after 12V battery replacement.
    3. not done yet, will do..
    Is it possible there is air in injectors rail blocking it? Did not analysed fuel system yet.

4. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The fuel pump is supposed to operate at 43 psi and should clear any air that developed in the fuel line pretty quickly. If you still have problems after cleaning the throttle plate and throttle body interior, you will need to measure fuel line pressure to confirm the pump is operational.

5. AlexY

AlexY Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Problem solved for now, tomorrow morning will check it again in cold condition.
    What I did? Well, scanmaster found 3 ECU's, 3-rd one is probably HV battery computer (unidentified by program) and this one reported P3001 (happened when voltage dropped to something around 250V), Found this message and this was the solution, I mean switching to neutral just after start. For some time motor was working very unstable and exhaust smell indicated huge amount of unburned fuel, after about 1 minute everything was fine, 3 start up cycles later all warning lights gone, no error codes from scanner.

Next morning and problem returned, P3191 code comes again, usually within 3 start cycles it runs normal but this time I did neutral trick and it did the job, so went to car shop, bought throttle cleaner, used it and it seems car is back to normal, let's see after a week.