1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Does the traction battery charge the 12v battery, or only the ICE? -Highlander

Discussion in 'Toyota Hybrids and EVs' started by Haraald, Oct 27, 2017.

1. Haraald

Haraald New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a bunch of 12v accessories (LEDs, fans, etc.) for camping attached to the 12v battery in the rear of my 2017 Highlander Hybrid. I leave the car on in Ready mode whenever I run them. But sometimes I don't have the AC or heat on so the ICE (gas engine) doesn't turn on very often. During those times, is there a risk my appliances will run down the 12v battery, or does the big traction battery keep the 12v charged even if the ICE is off?

Thanks!

2. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    For the Toyota hybrids, there is an inverter powered by the traction battery that keeps the 12 volt battery charged when the car is in Ready mode, The engine only needs to run to recharge the large Traction battery.
    Be sure you do not overload the 12 volt battery though. There are fuses and if the inverter gets overloaded it is expensive to replace.

3. Haraald

Haraald New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks! I put a 100 amp fuse between between all my 12v stuff and the 12v battery, so I think that should protect that inverter?