1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Does this count as a majority of Iraqis wanting us out?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by burritos, May 14, 2007.

1. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/conte...7051000387.html

"A majority of members of Iraq's parliament have signed a draft bill that would require a timetable for the withdrawal of U.S. soldiers from Iraq and freeze current troop levels."

Or do we really care what the democratically elected word really is in Iraq? I think not. We're staying whether you like it or not. However, Dubya is gonna have to change "operation spreading democracy" to "operation stfu until cause you're on our oil".

2. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(burritos @ May 14 2007, 11:52 AM) [snapback]441670[/snapback]</div>
    When they vote on it let me know - it is kind of like the Democrats who had to offer tens of billions of dollars in pork to get people to side with them on their recent vote on Iraq funding.

I am of the opinion that the day the Iraqi's do not want us there - we should leave.

In fact i will take it a step further, i would give the current plan some time (how much i do not know) and see where we stand then. if it is not good i would move our troops back - not out of the region - just back - and wait to pick up the pieces and act if/when needed.

3. larkinmj

larkinmj New Member

This resolution, which has been signed by a majority in Iran's parliament, has been virtually ignored by the media. Hopefully there will be a formal vote on it soon.
    And, remarkably, it may the Republican Party that finally gets fed up and ends this war. Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell was asked to comment on this resolution by CNN's Wolf Blitzer. McConnell replied, "I want to assure you, Wolf, if they vote to ask us to leave, we'll be glad to comply with their request."
    Here is a link to McConnell's comments- it's a UPI story, but what's interesting is that it was posted on GOPUSA.com

4. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(larkinmj @ May 14 2007, 12:45 PM) [snapback]441723[/snapback]</div>
    I would hope if their govt votes for us to leave - and i would hope it is by a huge majority because if it is 51/49 i would not feel good about that - they would elect to have a general referendum and let the entire populace vote. if the general vote was for us to leave then i would pull back to a neutral corner and sit it out - but i would leave a large number of assets near just in case.

the question is, if we leave and then a "genocide" begins where there are thousands and thousands of people being slaughtered daily - should we go back to stop the killing or do we let them just kill each other at a significantly larger volume than today?

5. Darwood

Darwood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ May 14 2007, 12:23 PM) [snapback]441753[/snapback]</div>
    Yes, that's a best case scenario. We back out to the border (where we ought to be now) and if/when the violence ratchets up and they beg us to come back, it will be clear that we are the peacekeepers instead of occupiers. We might actually make progress if we were't the scapegoat. Maybe we can get them to pay for the protection instead of our kids paying through the nose for this.

As for the 51/49 vote, sounds like US voting history. Let's let the general populace vote on Iraq! Or on Bush as president! Oh, I see. The US general population should just trust our elected officials, but Iraqi's should get a direct say when an issue is close.

6. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Darwood @ May 14 2007, 01:52 PM) [snapback]441775[/snapback]</div>
    my only concern about having a general referendum is that if the decision is to tell the US troops they are personas non grata - i do not want one iota of guilt as an American when they start burying the dead in mass graves --- there is NO doubt in my mind and lots of other peoples minds too that it is not a question as to if there will be genocide, the only question is how many will die, if the Kurds get into it too, and if other outsiders also get into the mix. I think this will make the withdrawl from Vietnam and the insuing Cambodia Killing Fields look like a picnic.

7. fshagan

fshagan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ May 14 2007, 08:34 AM) [snapback]441713[/snapback]</div>
    President Bush, in his "state of the war" speech earlier this year, said that all provinces in Iraq should be under Iraqi control by October of this year. If that happens, then American advisors may still be needed but the higher troop levels we are seeing now will not be needed.

8. TimBikes

TimBikes New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Unfortunately there is no easy answer. One only has to look at Gaza to see what is happening now that the Israeli's have pulled out. It's like somebody lit the fuse to a powder keg. Mind you, I am conservative but no fan of GWB or this war -- in fact I think we should be getting the hell out. But I do fear for what will happen if/when we leave. But I think the only solution is unfortunately going to be for us to leave and for there to be such a massive spasm of violence that it will finally burn itself out. The only problem is, who will be the last man standing so to speak, and will he be worse than Saddam Hussein?