1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Does this sound right to you?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by SpookyNoodleGhost, Nov 8, 2005.

1. SpookyNoodleGhost

SpookyNoodleGhost New Member

First off let me just say that the Prius I purchased yesterday was the 5th new car I have had the 'pleasure' of buying. Is it just me or does EVERYONE hate their dealer after the deal is done? These guys are so freakin’ slimy.

I got this long drawn out story about how this vehicle was paid for by someone out of state and he ordered the custom leather and chrome dipped wheels so I have to buy those things too if I want it. It seemed like a rare opportunity to get the black package 6 that I wanted so I bit the bullet.

As I was signing the papers I was daydreaming about how cool it would be to hit that button and quietly drive off in my slick new environmentally friendly black Prius. So as the dealer is taking me to my car he tells me there is a problem. It seems they decided to take the interior out of the car to “take measurements†for the leather.

Here is where it gets odd… They tell me that I really ought to go with the crème leather color because it is a stock color that would correspond with the bluebook value of the car. It was explained that if I chose another color that it would hurt the resale value. I was leaning towards the grey color. So they told me the crème leather was going in whether I liked it or not and when I get the car today I can make them change it if I want. Does this make any sense to anyone?

P.S. today will be my first day with the car - any pointers?

2. Maytrix

Maytrix Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Nope, none of it makes sense. You should be able to see the final product before signing any paperwork or handing over any cash.

And I can't imagine the color of the leather affecting resale value, as long as it still goes with the image of the car. Bring Pink leather, probably would hurt the resale value :)

3. maggieddd

maggieddd Senior Member

so you actually bought this car?

4. Jack 06

Jack 06 New Member

Winters, CA: Prius capital of US. 30 miles W of S
    WOW.

See the poll/thread I just posted---coincidentally! :eek:

5. jeromep

jeromep Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You've been slimed. BTW, please post your (general) location, preferably in your profile and not in the thread.

Anyway, yes, slime is present. First off, where is the car? Did you see it? Did you touch it? If not, I'm a little scared for you.

Leather is not a factory option, so any leather job you see on an 04-05 is going to be aftermarket. For those living in GST and SE dealership areas it is a listed option, but it is installed at port, not in Japan at time of manufacture. Beware. Sometimes it is very well done, and sometimes it is very poorly done. But the measurements for the seats are widely available and many third party upholstery shops purchase leather seat covering which are pre made to the Prius by their supplier. Often times those are very good recover jobs, however it also requires a shop that can install the pre-made covers properly.

Anyway, If the base interior color (headliner, carpet, lower trim) is beige then I wouldn't cross that with gray leather. However if the vehicle came with gray as the base color then I would insist on gray leather. The black color in 05 came with either a beige interior or the gray. I would also lean toward gray, which makes me angry that all the best exterior colors came with brown. Yech!

6. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    What a crock of sh!t. Don't buy a tricycle from this dealer. If he resists returning your deposit tell him you'll go to the state attorney general with a bait-and-switch complaint.

7. chrisek

chrisek geek

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Sorry, that sucks. :(

Get your money back and hit another dealer in your area, unless you are cool with the creme leather installed. Then take it and enjoy it. It just wasn't the right way to get you into the leather is all.

Actually, that wasn't the right way to earn your business at all. :eek:

8. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    As much as you want that car, I suggest you cancel it and find another dealer. If he's so smart as to add more stuff even though he found a buyer, he's dealing with the wrong customer (i.e. you). Just say, no I don't want it, thank very much for your time and goodbye.

9. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I don't understand why you have to have Leather unless it is already installed, and/or you want leather. If it is not installed and you don't want it don't get it!

10. aka007ii

aka007ii New Member

Oh man, as soon as they said there is a problem and the interior has been ripped out I would have demanded the contract void. I wouldn't have even gone that far but it sounds like you are cool with the extra $$$ for the rims (which you could get cheaper aftermarket) and the leather should be the color you want. And they are retards for telling you that Gray isn't a stock color for black. It's offered in both colors. Just open a brocher and point it out to them. I know it's so tempting to just take this crap because you want the car but every time they win it just fuels the fire for them to keep it up.

11. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    SpookyNoodleGhost wrote:

"Here is where it gets odd… They tell me that I really ought to go with the crème leather color because it is a stock color that would correspond with the bluebook value of the car. It was explained that if I chose another color that it would hurt the resale value."

This indicates, or at least implies, that the leather interior had not been done yet, so why would the Dealer simply delete that option? Sounds like they're fabricating a story to enhance their profit at your expense.