1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Does Toyota lose money with each Prime sale?

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by PT Guy, Dec 4, 2016.

1. PT Guy

PT Guy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    A Bloomberg article reprinted in the local paper tells of the ten states that require a certain percentage of zero emission vehicles sold from each manufacturer. California, Oregon, New York, and New Jersey are mentioned. ZEV sales generate credits for the manufacturers that can be bought & sold to other manufacturers. GM uses their credits to remain in these states and sell the rest of their line. Bloomberg estimates that GM will lose $9,000 on each sale of a Bolt, but they need to do that to continue in business in those states. FiatChrysler stated they lost $14,000 on each 500e sale in 2014. Tesla sells all their credits; FiatChrysler is a big buyer of credits.

Now I think I understand why I had to go to Oregon to find my Prime, a state with a ZEV requirement, and why no Primes are offered in my state of Washington. Toyota needs to sell the Prime at whatever price they can get even if it's at a loss to stay in business in Oregon; they do not need to do so in Washington. Toyota will have the hydrogen fueled Mirai for sale in California. Zero emissions, only water emitted.

GM’s Ready to Lose $9,000 a Pop and Chase the Electric Car Boom - Bloomberg

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  2. huskers

huskers Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Well, they are losing my money.

Kevin_Denver, Felt and Trollbait like this.
  3. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I am confused if any other state except California has a mandate with $penalty for failure to sell enough Plug_ins. My perception is that CA is the 800-lb gorilla in the room. WA is also CARB just not extended CARB, right?

But yes I agree the mandates force the auto makers to reduce prices to make the sales. Also demand for plug-ins has not been what autos hoped. Good time to buy though.

bisco likes this.
  4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    From the article:

Sounds crazy, but the damage makes perfect business sense

I think along similar lines, regarding the mandatory TPMS in the States. If I had to put them in, say on an extra set of snow tires on rims, I'd say: "Sure, put them in, and use the cheapest available please. What do I owe you?".

And then never initialize them, problem solved.

5. Rmay635703

Rmay635703 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    Nothing like wagging the dog.

But most of these articles are pure bs. Check their math, no different than the 250,000 loss GM took on each 2011 volt. (In Bloomberg s imagination)

Almost as bad as the rediculous massive 20 billion barrel oil find in Texas that is touted as energy independence when we use 7 billion barrels each year.

Felt, Dragon Rider and Trollbait like this.
  6. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I think the ZEV mandate looks at the fleet sales in other CARB(extended?) states, not just California.

7. Neohippy

Neohippy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Supposedly Tesla is going to lose a good amount on every M3 they sell at base price. I read they need them to sell at 50k to make a profit. Any options will put it close to 50k just like any nice Model S is 100k

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    no way to know if toyota is making, losing or breaking even. but a 9 kWh battery is not that expensive, they cut a lot of corners, and it's just a prius after all. so, imo, they're breaking even or making very little.

9. JamesBurke

JamesBurke Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Lose money? Are you saying the only profit on the G4HB is equivalent to the cost of the added battery, charger, and plug on the Prime?

10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    well, they do get a few thousand more for prime plus over similarly equipped lb.

Felt likes this.
  11. PT Guy

PT Guy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Why does Toyota limit Prime distribution to a few states? Are these actually the states with the ZEV requirement? There has to be a reason why Oregon gets the Prime and Washington does not. My little town has the highest Prius ownership relative to the population in this state. I think I have the only Prime, and I had to travel to another state to get it. There has to be a reason.

plow likes this.
  12. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It does seem several of the 8 "full" CARB states CA, MD, NJ, NY, MA, ME, CT, RI are getting the most Primes.
    OR is not considered full CARB but they are close to full CARB status (10yr/150k mile warranty).

But I assume this will expand in 2017. I think they try to hit the highest sales states. This included Virginia for PiP but we seem to be off too for the first Primes. Our PiP sales in VA were probably not what Toyota hoped, due to de-emphasis of free HOV for hybrids in VA.

#12 wjtracy, Dec 5, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2016
  13. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    I suspect the reason you can't get the Prime in some places yet (like Canada), is limited production. They will come next year.
    As far as "loosing money", nice imagination!
    Even -if- (and that's a big "if") Toyota's cost of production is equal to or more than the sale price, the sale allows them to make a lot of money on their other models. It also allows them to sell the Prime and learn how it works in the hands of the "great unwashed public" (Prius Chat members especially! ;) ). To prepare for "future developments". Note that Toyota has finally admitted to themselves that H2 cars are not the way of the future and they are preparing for EVs. Or perhaps I'm reading too much into the announcement just made re EV research at Toyota.

Ask yourself this, if -any- company is "loosing money" on the sale of any of their cars, how are they staying in business? Something Bloomberg, at least, should appreciate! They are supposed to be "business experts" aren't they?

pilotgrrl likes this.
  14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    patience grasshoppers, prime will be ubiquitous at some point in the future.

15. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The Prime is a 2017 model, that just arrived in Nov 2016. Some states were going to get it first, and some are going to have to wait. Plug ins tend to go to California and full CARB states first. These are cars, and not some little consumer good like a phone that can be delivered to all the stores and be kept in the back room until the release date.

pilotgrrl and HPrimeAdvanced like this.
  16. Dragon Rider

Dragon Rider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Here in Miami I check with my dealer and they have none. The dealer app no luck either. I understand having them in the garage is waste of inventory. Even my Gen 4 Two Eco was not at my dealer. It came from the main dealership that they have . I don't think they are in a hurry right now to make those sales. I want to drive one .

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

pilotgrrl and HPrimeAdvanced like this.
  17. plow

plow Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I doubt Toyota looses money on each sale but the ZEV facts likely do play into where the Prime is currently in early distribution.

"Special provisions in the Clean Air Act allow states to either follow the federal requirements or adopt California’s vehicle emission regulations. Nine other states adopted the California regulation: Connecticut, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New York, Oregon, Rhode Island, and Vermont." -- ZEV Mandate - ZEV Facts

Check the map and article at the link above. Informative.

Plow - just waiting for my ship to come into The Port of Newark. :)

HPrimeAdvanced and wjtracy like this.
  18. Neohippy

Neohippy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I have the window sticker to my 2013 PIP advanced. It was $40,900. It says a lot that they can sell the Prime Advanced for 34k

HPrimeAdvanced and Bluegrassman like this.
  19. ttait

ttait Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I read yesterday that Toyota will have an across the board price increase of 3% starting Jan. 1, 2017.

20. GT4Prius

GT4Prius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Excel
    Ok, but judging by the reference to dollar exchange rates it looks like this applies to the US only for now.

This is worth mentioning IMHO in a forum which has English speaking members from all over the world, not just from the US.

Here is the quote:

""We have been absorbing all the additional costs till now, thereby protecting our customers from the price increase. However, owing to continued pressure of high costs and foreign exchange rates remaining at high levels of above Rs 68 against USD, we have been pressured to increase the cost of our products," he said.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.