1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Does Toyota make an engine-block heater for the 2017 Prius Prime plug-in?

Discussion in 'Prime Accessories and Modifications' started by poggo, Feb 26, 2017.

1. poggo

poggo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    I've bought an engine block heater for a Prius, but the date range for the product goes from 2004-2015.

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Is a block heater going to work on a plug-in? Most effective you don't plug-in, just drive in hybrid mode I guess. If you go through the build-and-price process on Toyota Canada, with a regular 2016 Prius, the block heater is an available accessory. Not sure about Toyota USA.

Build Your Toyota Prius - Toyota Canada

(Above link will work, if you also click "show all accessories".)

A screen grab:
    upload_2017-2-26_19-14-19.png

Not sure why the specify only certain hybrid battery type? (n)

#2 Mendel Leisk, Feb 26, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2017
    Bonobo.P. likes this.
  3. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Uh yes but why?

Use EV to reach speed and then use HV to warm-up without a load.

Bob Wilson

4. ForestBeekeeper

ForestBeekeeper Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Our Prius Prime seems to produce heat very slowly.

The heated seat is noticeably warm at around 5 miles, defrosting the windshield starts to have an effect at around 7 miles.

5. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Living in N. Alabama, I have not used preconditioning in our Prime that requires locking the car. But in our BMW i3-REx, it is brilliant.

Try it, you may be surprised.

Bob Wilson

6. GT4Prius

GT4Prius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Excel
    Hmm Honda Canada eh? Who would have thought they'd sell you a Toyota!

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  7. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I'm gonna blame 30 plus years of Honda history. Fixed, thanks! :oops:

8. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    The standard Prius block heater should work just fine in the Prime (and that's a rhyme). It's the same engine people! Now installing it, that may be an interesting exercise. ;)

It should also speed up warmup. But how many plugs do you want to manage in the morning?

9. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    The engine block heater itself has not changed since 2004. Some models offer more challenges to install it, due to accessories, and body work.

10. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    It'll depend a lot on the scenario. If you're going to be typically starting out and going a fair distance in EV, engine off, the heat built up in the engine by the block heater is going to be somewhat dissipated, if and when the engine does kick in.

11. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Are you asking for a Prius c or a Prime?

If you're asking for a Prius c, I can move the thread. IF you're asking for a Prime, just make sure the wire doesn't get caught in the active grille shutters when the shutters close.

12. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    One thing I just thought of. It is my understanding the Prius block heater was developed for Toyota Canada. It was then grabbed by a bunch of US owners as a "good thing" (tm). The Prime isn't offered in Canada until May, according to rumour. But it is still the same engine, and the block heater should still fit.
    Oh, and Pearl S doesn't have one. Pearl had one, and it made almost no noticeable difference in warmup in Edmonton winters, which is why Pearl S doesn't have one (along with the ripoff price Toyota Canada wanted for it). Those of you in warmer climes may have better results. ;)

13. poggo

poggo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    Thank you for the offer to move the thread, but it won't be necessary. I was wondering if Toyota made an engine block heater for a 2017 Prius Prime, which a coworker bought. I bought and installed an engine block heater for an older Prius C, and when I recently did a search on engine block heaters, I saw Amazon offers one for Toyota Prius 2004 to 2015 model years. I should have been more specific in my original post.

Tideland Prius likes this.
  14. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    After reading a thread Block heater plus car charger on same circuit? | PriusChat and learning that Canadian Prime comes with factory installation option of engine block heater (Part# PU140-00931), I thought about installing one on my PRIME. Parts itself can be purchased on eBay for only $54. Called a dealer, a service manager there said Prius does not need an engine block heater and they have never installed one before, but gave me an estimated quote of $140 for parts and $264 for labor, total $404. Does not seem to be worth the cost unless DIY. The question is, is engine block heater on PRIME really needed or if not needed, then at least somewhat beneficial to have one installed? Certainly, Toyota Canada seems to think so, but not Toyota US, even though I live very close to the border.

#14 Salamander_King, Aug 23, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2018
  15. ForestBeekeeper

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I live in Maine and we own two Prius'. We have never seen a need for a block heater on our Prius'. I have a block heater for my diesel tractor though.

We normally see about 2 weeks every year with temps of -20F.

Salamander_King likes this.
  16. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks. I read your comments on Gen3 EBH threads when I searched on this topic. Your climate is probably similar to ours. I think you are correct that it does not NEED it. My last and only car that had EBH was 30 years ago when I was living in North Dakota. That said, since Toyota Canada have this option, it maybe needed in very, very cold part of Canada, maybe. More relevant question for me and most living in Northern US is, does EBH help in fuel efficiency and also help to increase comfort level in PRIME in cold morning when ICE comes on anyway? Also, is it beneficial for the longevity of ICE by reducing strain on the engine warm-up?

17. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I suspect you will never NEED a block heater, your antifreeze is good to -40 (with -40 C and F are the same)
    There are reasons you may want a block heater:

Better gas mileage, the engine gets bad mileage until it is warmed up. To some extent you are using electricity to gas gas.

In most cars, Engine coolant is used to heat the passenger compartment. In the Prime, this is less true than most cars.

Driveability of any car is poor when the lubricants are cold.

18. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    If you start off and do most of your drive in electric mode, the block heater is not that practical. When you're starting and driving it like a regular hybrid Prius, then yes, lots of advantages: faster warm-up, easier "cold starts" for the engine. Any time of year.

19. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Problem was that last winter when the temp got down to below 10F (-12C), the ICE would come on when I start the car no matter what I did. So, I was driving strictly HV mode for my most of morning commute (~20 mile) for the duration of 1-2 month during winter when morning temp were low.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  20. ForestBeekeeper

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    From my observations, anytime it is relatively cold, the ICE runs to start-up and run anyway. Just to keep itself warm.

The EBH may help when you first jump in the car.

We keep our cars in a carport, so they are under a roof. If you had a layer of ice then snow on it, I think that defrosting the windshield may become a much greater task. That would be true with a EBH and without one.