1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Does toyota require one to buyt a new Prius with options they may not want because it is shipped tha

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by alj65aedeker, Jun 9, 2009.

1. alj65aedeker

alj65aedeker New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Sorry if I sent this more than once while I get used to using the format of this chat forum. I recently priced a new 2010 Prius IV with the navigation package and I asked about body side molding. I was told that in order to get the Prius I wanted I would be required to buy the Prius with additional options I did not ask for because that is the way Toyota ships the vehicle to the dealer. Among the options I was told come shipped with the model I wanted was the remote start at approximately $595. plus the complete molding package not just body side molding but front and rear bumper guards and door guards for an additional cost of over $850.00.If one does the math I wind up paying over $1,400 in options I did not necessarily want and I could purchase the whole solarroof package with Navigation. Is this what Toyota does with a hot new car that may be in high demand?

2. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Re: Does toyota require one to buyt a new Prius with options they may not want because it is shipped

Toyota ships them to the dealer with all those options, because the dealer ordered them that way.

One of my nearby dealers has more than $2400 in mandatory Toyota options, on every 2010 Prius. 10 miles down the same street, another dealer gets its cars bare and adds the floor mats itself. You can guess which one has my order.

Check out more dealers.

3. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Re: Does toyota require one to buyt a new Prius with options they may not want because it is shipped

Somewhere here on PriusChat there will be a thread listing all the standard options packages. Those are the options shipped from the factory.

Other options can be added at the port or the dealership, and by and large they are overpriced and serve no purpose but to increase dealer profit. If your dealer requires you to accept them, SHOP ELSEWHERE!!! Toyota does not require you to buy those things. But some dealers do, because they believe you have too much money. Other dealers will sell you the car as it comes from the factory, with the options listed here on PriusChat or perhaps on Toyota's own web page.

For more information, post your question on one of the Gen III forums here on PC, where there are people with specific knowledge about the 2010.

4. binclintonusa

binclintonusa New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    IV

I did not necessarily want and I could purchase the whole solarroof package with Navigation. Is this what Toyota does with a hot new car that may be in high demand?:cheer2:
    htt p://pret-auto.og

5. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius

Toyota manufactures the Prius in a series of "packages", which are basically groups of options. Because of this, some features are only available with other features, whether you want those other features or not. These are generally big items, such as grouping NAV with the moon roof.

As Daniel points out, there are other dealer options that are installed after manufacturing. These are small (but often expensive) items such as stain guard and aftermarket alarm systems. You can opt out on these, but you may need to find another dealer.

Tom

6. Dolce

Dolce Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II

Also, since these have high markups, there is also room to negotiate. Even if your dealer won't lower the sticker price with the options, tell them you want some other incentives, like lower finance rate on the loan, higher trade in value of your old car, discount on any extended warranty, free maintenance contract for oil changes or something else that has value to you. This is just one way to get a lower cost and still have the car you want while it is still in short supply. The dealer is going to make a profit in your car sale no matter what. They don't really care which area the profit comes from, so they are willing to shift the lost in one bracket as long as the bottom line is still profitable to them. Naturally, you should still shop around to other dealer just to have a comparison on what is the real market value of the car and features you want. Good luck.