1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Does your Prius get stupid on wet snow and ice?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by daronspicher, Mar 6, 2006.

1. daronspicher

daronspicher Active Member

A month or two ago, there were a couple threads dealing with their prius basically yielding to the traction control system when on wet slush or ice. That seemed real wrong to me, and was a concern for me buying the car.

Yesterday we drove in the Chicagoland snowfall and the car did great, but I didn't test any of this.

This morning our driveway had about 3 or 4 inches of real wet snow on it, so I thought I'd try some stuff out.

Our driveway slopes slightly down toward the street, about 100 feet long.

Going up the driveway, the car grabs and paws and keeps going.. seemingly the same as my wife's frontwheel drive car.

Going down hill, it is fine. I stopped and tried backing up (expecting it should just spin).. and it does.. It was trying.. and that was a good thing to see.

Which is different than I was reading about in previous threads where the trac basically takes over and there is no action to the wheels.

Now that I have the car, I just wanted to chime in with my experience being "As expected"... at least with this situation.

2. lowspeed

lowspeed Member

When you say backing up ... did you go reverse ? or did you do a 180 and go up hill ?

3. Bill Lumbergh

Bill Lumbergh USAF Aircraft Maintainer

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The Prius handles quite competently on hard ice and any type of snow. Good tires enhance the performance, of course. Only times I have had issues were when the snow was about 6" deep and unplowed, and on a steep parking area covered in thick glare ice. Never got stuck, though.

4. daronspicher

I did it both ways...

Stopped going downhill, tried reverse.. didn't get far.. but it was trying, spinning.. but stuck.. as I expected..

Driving up the driveway, it did better, and was able to 'claw' it's way to the top and into the garage. I could feel the car shuttering left and right slipping and spinning a bit but keeping going. It really was what I would expect... and I was glad to see it work.

To have the car just go to thud and not even 'try' as I was reading in some posts over the winter would have been disappointing.

5. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Personally I find the Prius to be excellent in the snow, far better than my FWD Lexus. I haven't experienced any of this trac rendering the car immobile. I think its probably an issue of learning how to drive this particular car in the snow. Out of our two cars, this is the one I choose to drive in the snow.

6. michalopoulosgk

michalopoulosgk New Member

Try going half way up the driveway, then stop, then try to start again. That was the way it happened to me and the car completely stalled, went dead. I had to back up downwards to the black top and then start again. It is fine as long as the car keeps going. Once you stop on snow going uphill, however, then I found it difficult to make it start going again. That is when the traction control took over, in my case.

7. lowspeed

lowspeed Member

Thats what happend to me on an 04... I wonder if they "cured" the problem on 06's

8. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Does your Prius have Vehicle Stability Control (VSC)? When I play in the snow with my VSC Prii, it felt quite sure footed, even with OEM tires . . . no left/right anything.
    If I lived in snow country, I'm sure I would get a set of good winter tires on their own rims - but for my purposes OEM is ok.

Speaking of snow country, only one you posters in this thread so far has bothered to place your location in your profile. Please do it . . . it can help you get a correct answer to a question. :)

9. daronspicher

I tried this all again this morning. This time, I stopped going up hill on the ice and snow. It was colder this morning so it was actually worse conditions for slick.

After I stopped, it was pretty good at getting going. I was pleased. I don' tknow how to explain it, but 'pawing' a bit from side to side is what it seemed / felt like. I got going forward and would have been on my way. Well, to keep going, I'd be on my way off the end of the driveway into the grass..

I have 2006, package 5 which I believe has the VSC.

10. MyPria

MyPria New Member

I had a 2005 with MichelinX-ice snow tires stop dead on my very steep driveway. It wouldn't do anything till I put it in reverse. Scarry. I now have a 2006 with the same Michelin tires and I have not had the problem. Maybe it has been corrected. By the way, it was not my driving that was the problem in the 05. I've lived in the same house for 25 years and have had about 25 different cars, and not one besides my 05 Prius ever stopped dead.

11. Ken Cooper

Ken Cooper New Member

My experience:

Living in an area of rolling hills, on leaving my driveway I've had to pass on to a dirt road where there's a need to drive up a rather steep hill. In both mud and snow I've been forced to take running starts to make it to the top. I don't always make it. Sometimes I'll get two thirds the way up and the car simply doesn't want to go any further. It's not that the hill is in such bad condition, it's the fact that both front wheels will reach an area where they both start to spin .. the car simply won't let that happen and it just stops trying (it won't even let me try to 'rock' my way out of the situation). Thus, when this occurs, I back down the hill long past my driveway (scary when it's slippery) to get the best possible running start. Once it took three tries before I finally reached the summit. That was last winter. This winter we're in drought thus no new experiences of this sort.

I accept the fact that this is simply the CPUs protecting the hybrid drive apparatus from damage (motor/generator, etc.). If the weather here was severe more frequently I'd definitely get snow tires. As it stands I've replaced the stock tires with the Michilin Hydroedge. So far I've felt significantly more secure with these than I did with the originals.

12. daronspicher

Ken, I'm curious about your car. What year is yours? Did the 2005's have different programming for this than the 2006's...

13. Ken Cooper

Ken Cooper New Member

It's a 2004. Got it in March of that year. It would be interesting to know if the newer Prius's function differently than mine in situations like this.

14. Schmika

Schmika New Member

I'm curious too. I have an '05 pckg 6 with ABS, VSC, the works. I have no problems at all. I think the year and the VSC have something to do with it.

15. lowspeed

lowspeed Member

This is very interesting. i wish we could start a poll on this.

The only problem is if someone did not experience this he might not know what we're talking about, so the poll would not be effective.

That was my only pet peeve about the prius.... But i still got an 06 Great car all in all.

I will be thrilled if 06 doesn't have this problem.

16. michalopoulosgk

michalopoulosgk New Member

Mine is an 05 with package 6. I would also be curious to know whether Toyota perhaps heard last year's and this (early) winter's complaints and silently fixed the problem without announcements in the 06 models. If so, I would be willing to trade.

17. Ken Cooper

Ken Cooper New Member

Actually, except for Nav and garage door opener I have all options including VSC and traction control.

Maybe this issue is a thing of the past and has been corrected in the later models. I hope so. I do plan to replace this Prius with a new one sometime in the next year or two.

18. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I have a 2004 Prius with the standard Traction Control and the optional VSC. Trust me on this: the wheels will NOT spin. Impossible. With all-season tires, this car is impossible to drive on slushy snow and especially ice, it just stops moving.

When I first had the car, after a major blizzard I went to Polo Park, a local mall here. I had Michelin Harmony "all season" tires on, my winter tires hadn't arrived yet. I wanted to take the ramp to the upper level open parking, and the ramp makes a sharp turn so a run-up can't be done.

Ahead of me was an old Chrysler, I'd guess mid 70's vintage. More rust than car, all banged up. But it did have fairly new studded tires on. Made it up the ramp no problem, even left a blue smokescreen for me to follow.

I got about 1/3 up and the car stopped. No wheelspin, no nothing. The VSC icon was flashing on the dash. It didn't matter if I lightly pressed the gas or floored it, nothing. I had to back down and park what seemed a mile from the nearest door.

At green lights, the car would barely move, and I always worried about getting rear ended. The many times when I found myself with one wheel on dry pavement and the other wheel on ice, same thing: nothing.

The winter tires made a huge difference. I had Dunlop Graspic DS-2 last winter and Yokohama Ice Guard this winter. A sticky winter tire really helps.

I did try to get it stuck in purpose into a snowdrift at my hobby farm. I discovered you can NOT "rock" the car to get unstuck. Once the traction control algorithm determines you have poor traction, the wheels will *not* turn.

My Dad has a 2003 Buick LeSabre and it also has traction control, though it can be defeated with an override button. The traction control in that car is much more intelligent: if one wheel is on dry pavement and the other wheel on ice, the car will move normally. With studded Cooper WeatherMaster ST/2 winter tires, the car is almost unstoppable.

If Toyota has actually changed the traction control algorithm for 2006, it's about time. I hope they offer a TSB to us 2004 owners. I have spoken to a small number of '04 owners here in Winnipeg and they have the same complaint.

19. lowspeed

lowspeed Member

How can we confirm with 06 ? unfortunately (or fortunately) ... winter is over where i am...

20. 200Volts

200Volts Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    A quick recap of my TC experience at Tahoe.
    I was on an uphill on ramp to I-80 with minor slush and hard packed snow. I got up to about 45 mph near the merge start, then hit some deep slush-snow(about 4 inches?) and the car started to coast. I floored the gas-let off the gas-eased backed on the gas, just coasting. I pulled into traffic, got on drier pavement and started to accelerate. Scary.
    2004 #6 with VSC.