1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Does your State DMV charge extra for Hybrid and Electric Vehicles?

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by GoodOldBob, Nov 17, 2023.

1. GoodOldBob

GoodOldBob Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    L Eco
    I just bought a nice 2020 Prius L Eco from a dealership in East Texas. I went to the DMV office to register the vehicle and was surprised to find out that Hybrid vehicles have to pay an extra $50 per year in Arkansas, Full EVs have to pay an extra $100 per year. The notification had some mumbo jumbo about "Hazmat disposal" of the batteries as the justification for the fee. How about YOUR State / District / Provence?

2. ColoradoBoo

ColoradoBoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hey, don't give Colorado any ideas! I think we must pay the most of anybody with something called an "Owners Tax" which is based on the MSRP of the vehicle, new and used. We have to pay this tax every year when we renew our plates.

So if you're vehicle costs $50,000, the cost of getting your license plates is over $1,050 the first year. The 2nd year it's $750 then $600 then $450 and for years 5-9 it's $225.

It's simply stealing money from folks and I know a lot of folks who will not even buy new cars because of this crazy tax. (Which is even after paying the sales tax on the car when you buy it.)

But, yes, they are talking about adding a tax to EV's because they don't pay the taxes for gasoline.

"Any politician promising not to raise your taxes is like a vampire promising to become a vegetarian." --Pierre Poilievre

"Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it." --Ronald Reagan

GoodOldBob likes this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    not here, but it wouldn't surprise me if they do someday. most states are trying to make up for lost gas taxes, and hybrids, phevs, and bevs are easy targets.

if they just increased gas tax or put a fee on cars over x mpg, they'd probably get voted out of office

4. Mr.Vanvandenburg

Mr.Vanvandenburg Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I think CA is $100 per year, and $200 on initial reg, which factored in to me not getting the Bolt in 2020. It may be changed they are always fighting these things back and forth. No hybrid tax, which to me seems correct. Weight doesn’t matter, which to me is incorrect. 2019 or before, grandfathered in, no tax, which to me is very incorrect. Not sure if it is this way today.

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    if it made sense, it wouldn't be government