1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Doesn't this steering wheel design make more sense with the digital cockpit?

Discussion in 'Gen 5 Prius Main Forum' started by thnok, Oct 21, 2023.

1. thnok

thnok Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
  2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Honestly? That dash is a hard pass for me.

daisy555, Pri3C and bisco like this.
  3. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    A yoke works okay when it only has to turn less than half of a circle to get from lock-to-lock. To make that work properly, you need a variable-ratio steering system so that the wheels can be turned a lot at low speed and very little at high speed.

Toyota has developed this for use in an upcoming Lexus. The yoke only turns about 150° in that car.

Meanwhile, Tesla just took out the round wheel and put in a yoke. You still have to roll it hand-over-hand about 800° to get from lock-to-lock, which is really awkward, and probably the reason why they've already backed down from making that the default on new Teslas. It is still available as an option.

In other words, Tesla has proved that yokes are bad as a drop-in replacement. Toyota may yet prove that they are good as part of a complete variable-ratio steering system.

Carmakers have been able to produce instrument displays that are visible around round steering wheels for 100 years. They didn't always do it right, but there are thousands of examples of successful design by now.

thnok, fuzzy1, AndersOne and 2 others like this.
  4. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The yoke will be available as an option in the Lexus BZ EV. I've only seen positive reviews for it.

That car, the bZ4X, and new Prius all have a similar dash display. The hypothesis is that it was designed for the yoke, but Toyota didn't feel it was ready by time of release for the BZ4X and Prius.

thnok likes this.
  5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    most people here claim that if you put the seat at the right height, the right distance from the dash, the right seat back angle, and the right steering wheel angle, you can see the dash info just fine, no matter your height, torso length or inseam.
    personally, i like to make all those adjustments for driving comfort, and expect the necessary visual information to be in clear view.

daisy555, Pri3C, Trollbait and 3 others like this.
  6. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Which is why I give credence to yoke being intended. No top half of a steering wheel, thus no need for all those adjustments.

thnok likes this.
  7. Pri3C

Pri3C Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Same. With such a thin profile, that dash looks like it would be easy to accidentally break, more prone to heat damage, and costly to repair or replace.

8. daisy555

daisy555 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I’m only 5’ 3”. During my test drives I focused on adjusting my seat height based on comfort first. I was able to see the digital display but my head was very close to the headliner. Plus the steering wheel was pretty close to my legs. This also caused my head to hit the front window panel (whatever it’s called) when I was exiting. I might need a small wedge style support cushion so the seat and my legs can be a bit lower and moved back slightly. Who knows…maybe I’ll need blocks on my pedals. :p I saw the old post about this.

This all sounds like a really uncomfortable experience. Ha! I was actually comfortable driving. It was the getting out part that took some thought.

I’m also not someone who likes to sit up close to the steering wheel. I see a lot of short women doing this and it seems dangerous.

bisco likes this.
  9. thnok

thnok Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    yeah my money is on the same. but probably something happened last moment that needed a switch. The yoke would have been ideal given the Gen 5 is quite different with so much horsepower as well.

10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    maybe a button on the yoke could keep the wheels turning more without turning the yoke more?

11. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    [​IMG]

12. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Toyota's yoke is steer by wire. The turn ratio varies with vehicle speed, and by how quickly and how much the yoke is turned. Sounds complicated, but all the reviews I've seen say it is very intuitive. Most will have no more trouble using it than a traditional steering wheel.

I think getting it working right and easy to use took longer than desired. Thus why it is showing up on the just, or soon to be, released RZ EV instead of the first cars using the dash lay out..

Roqu3 likes this.
  13. Hammersmith

Hammersmith Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    This is specific to my situation, but I'm glad it didn't get added to the 2023. Would have been a deal-breaker for me. Because of dexterity problems with one of my hands/arms, I really need the top third of the steering wheel. But I love the yoke concept in theory(grew up watching Knight Rider lol).

14. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    It would likely have been an option, as is the case with the Lexus. At least until the idea became accepted by the public at large. I do expect it to be an option for the Prius during the midcycle refresh.

The ability access is an interesting question. There'll probably be steering wheel add ons or yoke extenders if they do become the norm for those that need it.

15. Hammersmith

Hammersmith Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    I'm chuckling, because with my luck the yoke option would have been tied to the PVM option. :D

16. Roqu3

Roqu3 Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A

This is the review of that steer by wire yoke, it seems it still has a small lag

23049PCD8G ?

17. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Maybe I’ve been driving too long, but a yoke doesn’t excite me

18. Roqu3

Roqu3 Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    yeah I think is stupid unless its a F1 car

bisco likes this.
  19. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    It's like the electric hummer.

It's only interesting because nobody else has that.

Ooops, now somebody else has it, so there's little point to more of them.

I suppose an argument could be made that the lack of a metal steering shaft and the reduced bill of materials to make a yoke vs. a wheel could be a weight savings and less plastic in the waste stream etc.

But it remains to be seen how much other hardware is required to enable the rest of it and make it as safe as a mechanical steering system.

I don't think I'd mind driving it, but I wouldn't pay anything extra to get it.

20. MyPriusMarvin

MyPriusMarvin Member

If I was Knight Rider, maybe.