1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Dog/child car seat configuration

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by dahliared, Mar 14, 2010.

1. dahliared

dahliared New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I have to apologize for the strange thread title-I couldn't engineer that sentence in a better way.

We have owned our 2010 Prius IV for about a week now, and will be moving overseas with the car. We have a 70 lb dog and a child in a booster. I am wondering if anyone would be willing to share with me packing strategies for travel with our kiddo and dog. We are assuming that we'll put our daughter in the 40% side, and lay the 60% side down for the dog with some backpacks stuffed in the back, but I'd be interested in hearing suggestions from experienced Prius owners. Do most dog owners end up with roof racks/storage containers? Thanks!

2. MaineYota

MaineYota New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The title was fine :) We have a kiddo on the way, a Subaru Tribeca as our long-haul vehicle, and a 75-pound chocolate lab. Even with the massive cubic footage available in the 'Beca, the sheer volume of stuff that kid- and dog-travel require necessitated a rooftop carrier.

If you go that route, consider craigslist. I got a screaming deal on mine, and they're usually made of sturdy enough stuff to handle a couple owners.

3. dahliared

dahliared New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Thank you for the recommendation. I'm wondering what roof racks do to the MPG? It's also tough having a large dog in the back because he only lays down on longer drives, and on shorter drives he's really impeding visibility in the back. I'm hoping he'll like laying down on the 60% side when we try it.