1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Dog grate for 2004/5 Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by ededed1122, Nov 18, 2004.

1. ededed1122

ededed1122 New Member

Does anyone have a suggestion on dog grates? I haven't picked up my car yet, but I'll probably need something to keep our dog in the back. Thanks

2. TCD

TCD Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Howdy,

Just a side note... My current record is three Goldens, all of which would rather drive (oh for opposable thumbs!).

I've been thinking about using a soft net like the cargo net that came with the Prius; one that could be easily setup and removed. Personally, right now I just keep the back seats down and use the hatch to get them in and out.

3. priusham

priusham New Member

Michigan - land of everlasting snowflake icon!
    DOGS?!?!?

4. wesj49

wesj49 Junior Member

You can raise the back headrests as high as they go and it makes a pretty effective dog barrier.

wesj49
    04 Seaside 9

5. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    If you have a big enough dog she can't get into the front, besides how do you pass the bones back when you go to the bank? I had one for my Explorer but in the Prius a "Big Dog" has trouble getting in the front. There is my experience. Dogs rule cats drool!

6. BobA

BobA New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusham\";p=\"51353)</div>

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hdrygas\";p=\"51476)</div>

Nice Henry...the cat lovers will get you!!!!!!

Bob Andersen

7. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BobA\";p=\"51480)</div>
    Nah, we can love Henry and his dog too. Besides, I bet that Newfie drools more than my cats (they don't drool by the way). :)

8. TCD

TCD Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    RE: "If you have a big enough dog she can't get into the front seat" That must be a pretty big dog!

I wish I had the picture of the morning ran into a 7-11 and when I came out one of my Goldens, was sitting in the driver's seat (Wyatt 100 lbs.), paws on the wheel and dash. Rusty (135 lbs.) was sitting up in the front passenger seat. They looked like a couple ready to go to church... well sort of! The crowd around the car was quite amused.

For dogs your are one of the family, for cats you are just one of the help...;

9. TCD

TCD Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hi Folks,

I think that we have a source for a soft, removable netting that could be stretched behind the front seats. I’m going to check with these guys ASAP.

I just found this link on another thread:

http://store.davidhonl.com/index.html

And this information:

We have been able to arrange a 10% discount for PriusChat members when you use the coupon code 'priuschat' on their website.

TheCargoNetStore.com has also joined PriusChat as a business sponsor -

http://priuschat.com/forums/new-priuschat-...com-vt5420.html

10. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TCD\";p=\"51553)</div>
    And help that is to be mistreated at that!
    • We cat owners need a new organization: CETH - Cats for the Ethical Treatment of Humans :D

Presuming the grate doesn't need to be metal to keep the dog from flying/lunging forward, the netting thing sounds good. You could probably hook it to the forward hand holds on the roof. Not sure what at floor level but I did see that davidhonl has a D ring installation kit so you could fashion your own attachment points if necessary. Not sure what affect that would have on side curtain air bags though.

Can I get a soundproof one so I don't have to listen to the kids squabble? With the Prius, I can't send one of them to the 3rd row seat like I used to.

11. Mary Lou

Mary Lou Junior Member

[font=Comic Sans MS:8c9b9b9ad2]I ordered a rear seat hammock from drsfosterandsmith. I have a very active large dog. Much to my surprise, he lays on the back seat while I drive.

Check it out:

Backseat hammock

Mary Lou[/font:8c9b9b9ad2]

12. pjo1966

pjo1966 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mary Lou\";p=\"51657)</div>
    Mary Lou...

I don't suppose this hammock has a slot to pass the seat belt receptacle through... My PitBull wears a seat belt harnass. I've been looking for something to cover the seat that won't slip off when she gets excited at seeing another dog.

13. Mary Lou

Mary Lou Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mary Lou\";p=\"51657)</div>
    [font=Comic Sans MS:60c07fbb84]The hammock does not have a slot, but Sonny also was used to sitting in the back with a harness that had a slot for a seatbelt to slip into. For the entire ride, he tried to squiggle out of it. I was thinking of cutting a slot in this hammock for the seatbelt but he's happier without it. Not as safe, but he's calmer. Maybe when he gets older......[/font:60c07fbb84]

[font=Comic Sans MS:60c07fbb84]Mary Lou[/font:60c07fbb84]

14. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bruceha_2000\";p=\"51510)</div>
    Nah, we can love Henry and his dog too. Besides, I bet that Newfie drools more than my cats (they don't drool by the way). :)[/b][/quote]
    I am a cat lover as well, however I have become violently allergic to them. With in 20 Min around a cat my eyes are swollen shut. I do have a picture of my daughters cat sleeping on the chest of Fred our Newfie at that time. It was a symbiotic relationship, the cat would purr and the dog was warm and everyone was happy. I will look for the picture and post it . It is defiantly a classic, Mycroft kitty and Fred.

15. TCD

TCD Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hi Folks,

I spoke to David and we are working on a net that will go across the back just behind the seats (in general). I am sending David the dimensions and a few pics and he will work on a design. I'll keep you posted.

I agree that the net will not stop the dogs from flying forward in an accident. My Goldens tend to settle down when underway. However, for those of you who are concerned, here's some info on pet restrains:

http://www.canineauto.com/index.htm

http://www.neopaws.com/belts.html

http://shop.ruffrider.com/index.php?show_c...raining+Harness

And if you are on the west coast and looking for a Golden of your own:

http://www.homewardboundgoldens.org/index.htm

16. pjo1966

pjo1966 New Member

Thanks for the links. I like the idea of being able to latch her into the cargo area.

17. ededed1122

ededed1122 New Member

Thanks all for the great discussion; and especially thanks for working on a design.

18. TCD

TCD Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hi Folks,

Hopefully I'll have a prototype in early December. I'll keep you posted.