1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

doing 10k checkup at 11k. Warranty jeopardized?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by sas0611, Aug 24, 2008.

1. sas0611

sas0611 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My wife has 10800 miles on '08. She missed the 10k interval. I'll get the service done tomorrow unless this causes a 'black mark' which jeopardizes warranty? If so, maybe I should do oil change myself and self document the service. I could let them do the tire rotation which is the only other service performed at 10k miles. Any reason to be concerned ? Thanks in advance!

2. jelloslug

jelloslug It buffed right out!

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    There is nothing that says that you are required to have Toyota perform the suggested maintenance on your Prius. In fact it is quiet illegal for them to void your warranty if you don't have them service it.

3. alanh

alanh Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Specifically, they have to claim that the extra 800 miles caused a failure that would otherwise have been covered by the warranty.

4. 9G-man

9G-man Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    No need to worry, no "black mark", just get it done. Ask for a oil change and tire rotation, not a xxx,xxx mile service. That way you don't get ripped off, and don't let them sell you anything else.

5. eurosteve

eurosteve Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Sorry if this question isn't totally related to the question, but speaking of dealer service vs. DIY service:

Many of the items on the maintenance schedule are worded "inspect" this or that. How would you document that you inspected the items in question?

6. jelloslug

jelloslug It buffed right out!

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    There is no need to document it per se. The entire point of inspecting it is to make sure it's not worn, leaking, loose, etc. and then correcting the problem. If you feel it necessary I believe you could just check it off in the maintenance book.