1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Dolphins, sharks, and submarines

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by daniel, Sep 30, 2007.

1. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I got home yesterday, one day late due to a missed connection. I swam with wild dolphins (wildquest.com), rode a one-man submarine (sub-bahamas.com), sailed on an America's Cup racer (sailnassau.com), swam with sharks (same outfit as the subs), and snorkeled in nice warm water.

For the dolphins, we spent six to seven hours a day on a catamaran, occasionally sailing, but more often motoring, not so much looking for dolphins, as waiting for them to come to us. When they did we waited a while to make sure they seemed interested, then a couple of people went in the water to see if they would stick around in the presence of swimmers, and then we all went in swimming with them. They interpret diving as play, so we dove down a lot, though there were some among us who stayed at the surface on floats. Typically, if I went down 5 or 6 feet and swam, one to three dolphins would come alongside and swim with me, so close I could have touched them (but didn't because we were asked not to) for as long as I could remain under. Out of the five days on the boat, we swam with dolphins twice, for half an hour or so, maybe longer; and once we got in the water to watch a pod of dolphins feeding at the bottom, but ignoring us. The rest of the time we cruised around, snorkeled at different reefs, combed a deserted beach, or jumped off the boat into the water. I was seasick some of the time, but not severely, or for terribly long, so the scopolamine did its job pretty well.

The shark swim was the last activity in a half-day of reef snorkeling with the same outfit that runs the subs. They lowered a bait cage to a depth of 50 feet, and then we got in the water and watched the sharks so far below us that they were mere shadows. Soon, however, they started to come back towards the surface, and when they appeared to be maybe 10 feet down we all panicked and scrambled back onto the boat. So it wasn't so much swimming "with" sharks, as swimming above sharks. Yes, it felt like a crazy thing to do, but they told us that none of their clients has ever been bitten. And we were only in the water with the sharks for about ten minutes. Once we were all safely on board the boat again, they pulled up the bait cage and gave the sharks the food, resulting in a wild maelstrom of dorsal fins.

Fear is not a rational emotion, and seeing sharks (big ones, six or seven feet long!) coming up towards us all too quickly, was not actually the scariest thing I did. The scariest thing was jumping off the deck of the dolphin boat into the water. I am terrified of heights.

I'll now try to post some of the pictures from the dolphin experience.

The island of Bimini, The Bahamas:
    [attachmentid=11772]

Getting off the plane in Bimini:
    [attachmentid=11774]

Wildquest:
    [attachmentid=11773]

I'm going to keep these posts short. More pics to follow immediately.

Me:
    [attachmentid=11775]

Dolphins:
    [attachmentid=11776]

The number of devastatingly beautiful women on this trip was amazing, and for the most part they went around in very scanty bikinis.
    [attachmentid=11777]

It looks like PC is going to join these posts together, in spite of my effort to keep the posts shorter.

More dolphins:
    [attachmentid=11778]

More dolphins:
    [attachmentid=11779]

Us swimming with the dolphins. I'm wearing the black swim cap (otherwise the top of my head gets sunburned) and the yellow swim fins:
    [attachmentid=11780]

That's all for right now. I have to go out. I will post more pictures later.

2. EricGo

EricGo New Member

I hope you enjoyed yourself, it looks like a blast.

Mind if I ask how much it costs ?

3. fshagan

fshagan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Wow! What a great vacation! Except for the shark part ... I don't care if they are 50' down, I'm not getting in the water above them, especially if they are feeding! That may not be a rational fear, but its one I have nonetheless.

Two out of five dolphin encounters seems great to me ... and those other 3 days are not "wasted" like they are on those cattle-boat whale watching excursions. Reef snorkeling is just this side of heaven for me.

Good to hear you didn't get sick all the time too; catamarans are very stable and the water can be very calm around the islands.

4. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Glad you enjoyed yourself and the seasickness wasn't too bad.

I would have avoided the shark swim. No one bitten.....yet. I would have been the first. I just know it.

5. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Costs for the activities are on the web sites. Wildquest charges from $1,500 to $1,700 for a 5-day "week" based on double occupancy. Air fare depends on where you start out. Any travel site can give you fares.

I, too, said I was not going to get in the water with sharks. And nobody had to. It was only about ten minutes, after snorkeling at two other places. But then when the time came, I knew that if I didn't get in the water I'd regret it afterwards. And the plain fact is that driving to the airport was far more dangerous than getting in the water with sharks when the captain knows what species they are: 97% of shark species never attack humans.

(And to clarify, swimming with sharks was not on the dolphin trip. I have no pictures of the shark swim. But we did see a shark or two on the bottom when we were swimming with dolphins. But those stayed on the bottom.)

That's me, with the number 55 fins:
    [attachmentid=11781]

Cruising in calm seas, and taking a snooze:
    [attachmentid=11782]

In rougher seas you can sit on the bow and get drenched when the boat hits the waves just right:
    [attachmentid=11783]

Snorkeling on a reef:
    [attachmentid=11784]

Reef again:
    [attachmentid=11785]

This was the scariest thing I did my whole time in the Bahamas. I am terrified of heights:
    [attachmentid=11786]

The scenery was breathtaking:
    [attachmentid=11787]

The whole gang from my week at Wildquest:
    [attachmentid=11788]

Attached Files:

6. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Number 55 fins. Does that mean you have big...er....flippers?

The coral looks a little bleached out. Is that normal or is it showing some stress from environmental reasons?

7. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Good to have you back safe and sound Daniel. :)

Godiva, good catch on the encrusting coral. It does indeed look bleached.

8. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    WildQuest has a video on YouTube here. This video was not made the week I was there, so I didn't meet any of the people in it, and I am not in it. I did get a DVD with video that includes me, but it's much too big to post here. I have not even watched it all the way through, as I find it rather tedious.

I don't know for sure about the coral. I know coral is having problems all over the world due to changes in water temperature. But corals come in all different colors, including white, so I have no reason to think that the corals in these pictures are especially bleached.

All in all this was a great trip, and I recommend it to anyone who likes the water and shares my fascination with dolphins. I had fun on Paradise island, at the resort (just across from Nassau) but the place I expect to return to is WildQuest, on Bimini, not the resort on Paradise Island.

9. h2photo

h2photo Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    wow, looks like you had a blast. Swimming with dolphins is something I've always wanted to do, but it's just too expensive for me right now. :( Thanks for the images! Makes me wish I could go!

10. fshagan

fshagan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Sep 30 2007, 03:03 PM) [snapback]519570[/snapback]</div>
    We did Atlantis on Paradise Island on a day trip excursion while on a cruise, and it was fun for the day. Snorkeling in their lagoon had to do after not seeing anything on the ocean side of the resort, but we still enjoyed it. It was much better than a shopping trip (although we just did the "beach day" and avoided the guided tour through the resort.)

11. vtie

vtie New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Sep 30 2007, 05:57 PM) [snapback]519427[/snapback]</div>
    Good to hear that you had a great time!

Most sharks aren't nearly as aggressive as many people think. I have been surrounded several times by sharks during scuba diving. The only slightly intimidating moment I ever had was when a mother(?) shark with a small one made a few rounds around us to check us out.

According to what I have been told by several scuba instructors, on most reefs it is actually the feeding that can make the sharks aggressive. The sharks get used to the pattern that, when they see people in the water, they can expect food. If they don't receive food, they become disturbed and can turn against the divers.

On many places where scuba diving is done with some attention towards nature preservation, it is actually strictly forbidden to feed the sharks nowadays. Ironically, it is the PADI organization itself that is resisting this...
    http://www.flmnh.ufl.edu/fish/sharks/innews/SharkFeed.htm

12. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You lucky duck Daniel, looks fantastic!!

Hey there are white pointers cruising the beaches here, I have an agreement with them, I stay out of their living room and swimming pool and they stay out of mine. I have been swimming with seals but that doesn't compare to your holiday.

13. TJandGENESIS

TJandGENESIS Are We Having Fun Yet?

★Lewisville, part of the Metroplex, Dallas, in the
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Nice pics. Looks like it was fun.

14. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(vtie @ Oct 2 2007, 12:58 AM) [snapback]520183[/snapback]</div>
    I agree that feeding should be prohibited. As I think I mentioned earlier, I felt that the shark feeding was done in an irresponsible manner, and I did not believe the operator's claim that the sharks did not eat the fishes attracted to the fish food. I do believe that the risk to us was minimal, but I think the relevant point was made in the article: that feeding changes animals' behavior. It has long been understood that feeding of bears is the principal cause of attacks by bears on people, and there's no reason to think that sharks are different in this respect.

But where there's money to be made, the worst of human characteristics will come out. I expect shark-feeding to continue until there's a high-profile multiple death.

I did not know, when I went on that half-day trip, that we would be swimming with sharks, or that they would feed them. It was simply billed as a half-day snorkeling trip, and the principal activity was snorkeling. Perhaps I should have refused to participate in the shark swim, but, hey, I'm not that principled.

WildQuest, where I swam with dolphins, does not feed the dolphins. And the dolphins did not display any of the sort of aggressiveness that I would expect of animals conditioned to expect food from people. Throughout history dolphins have shown curiosity towards ships and swimming humans, and this was the behavior I observed, as they swam among us, often just inches away from us, without ever seeming to expect food.

15. SSimon

SSimon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Looks like such a relaxing time! I'm smiling as the dolphin excursion seems to be as well managed and thoughtful of the dolphins as you had predicted. :)

I'm glad you had such a nice time and that your belly was compliant. I'm even more glad that you're back safely.

16. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Now I'm trying to decide where to go for a winter get-away in December or January. There's also a trip to Machu Picchu in April. But I'm not sure how I'd react to the altitude. I guess they give you cocoa-leaf tea (the precursor of cocaine) but I don't like stimulants other than caffeine, and even that I don't handle well at all.

17. SSimon

SSimon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    You're spoiled. :D

Maybe the stimulant affects one differently at the higher altitudes???? Maybe it'll be more tolerable for you in that case? Something to look into as that sounds like a worthwhile visit.

Keep posting pictures, please. You're going to places I would currently not have the duration of time to visit. How about going to New Zealand for me?

18. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SSimon @ Oct 3 2007, 06:25 AM) [snapback]520537[/snapback]</div>
    I went to new Zealand and Australia the winter before last. I have no pictures. This summer was the first time I had a camera small enough to justify the nuisance of carrying. I expect to return to NZ. It is a wonderful country, and maybe (?) the only country with the guts to tell the U.S. to F off when the U.S. tried to bully them into allowing nuclear-armed ships into their harbors. But it's a long, uncomfortable flight, even in business class.

19. fshagan

fshagan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Oct 3 2007, 06:43 AM) [snapback]520544[/snapback]</div>
    Have you been to the Galapagos islands? There are some excursions there that are environmentally sound (there used to be a tour operator named "Limbladt" or something like that). There are also some tours to Antartica, but they are more like cruises than "adventure tours".

20. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I'd love to go to the Galapagos. But my seasickness makes that impossible. In fairly calm waters scopolamine reduces it to a tolerable level. But in rougher seas, even scopolamine is not enough, and I get deathly sick. Antarctica presents the same problem, but since I don't care for cold weather, it's never been high on my wish list.