1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

DOME FUSE fault: No interior lights, no stereo, no clock, no remote key locking.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by babfems, Aug 11, 2014.

1. babfems

babfems New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    PLEASE HELP!

This is my story.

I just bought a high mileage 2005 Prius T Spirit with Audio off on the MFD, the trader said it's only a fuse & I accepted. But after driving it some distance, I realized the key fob remote locking don't work as well as the interior lights. Also, the VSC light is showing which for some reason I thought was ok & he said it's related to brake pads.

For the past few weeks, I have been from pillar to post, looking for solutions. I have had abt 4 diagnostics done, all saying Steering Angle Sensor for the VSC light but no solution to d electrical issues listed in d thread title.

Fuses have been checked, including the 15A dome fuse under the hood, but still no luck. An auto electrician took apart the entire dash but still couldn't find the problem.

I am frustrated even though the car drives except now that I hear this buzzing sound wen IG-ON & ready, it's like constant humming which wasn't der until after I came back from the auto electrician.

Does any have an idea what I can do?

2. babfems

babfems New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
      • [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    1. PLEASE HELP!

This is my story.

I just bought a high mileage 2005 Prius T Spirit with Audio off on the MFD, the trader said it's only a fuse & I accepted. But after driving it some distance, I realized the key fob remote locking don't work as well as the interior lights. Also, the VSC light is showing which for some reason I thought was ok & he said it's related to brake pads.

For the past few weeks, I have been from pillar to post, looking for solutions. I have had abt 4 diagnostics done, all saying Steering Angle Sensor for the VSC light but no solution to d electrical issues listed in d thread title.

Fuses have been checked, including the 15A dome fuse under the hood, but still no luck. An auto electrician took apart the entire dash but still couldn't find the problem.

I am frustrated even though the car drives except now that I hear this buzzing sound wen IG-ON & ready, it's like constant humming which wasn't der until after I came back from the auto electrician.

Does any have an idea what I can do?

3. nh7o

nh7o Off grid since 1980

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    First thing is to get the codes (DTC's) read by a Prius specific code reader and list them here. Was the car in an accident? This can lead to various wiring faults in difficult to reach places.

However, it sounds like the seller was disreputable, and that you were lied to. So some sort of redress is appropriate. Someone selling a car and saying "it's just a fuse" is a big red flag. If it was actually "just a fuse" they would have replaced it, since that is trivial to do. Fuses blow for a reason, so there is some underlying fault.

babfems likes this.
  4. babfems

babfems New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you for responding. Yes, I know av bn done over by this dishonest trader guy and when I contacted him he said because the car has done over 200k miles I should expect average condition even he did not mention this in the autotrader advert. He offered to buy the car back as long as it's the condition I bought it. I don't know how to get redress from him because this is stressing me out.

Anyway, I am just trying to salvage a crisis and I have already spent some money going from pillar to post.

Fault codes found:
    C1231
    C1300
    B1421
    B1242

Thanks

5. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If you have an opportunity to return the car, you should. At minimum it sounds like the skid control ECU needs to be replaced given the presence of DTC C1300.

The buzzing sound is a warning that the brake system is impaired and you should not continue to drive the car with that warning present.

With regards to the electrical circuits that are not functioning, the troubleshooting is reasonably straightforward. You pick a non-functioning system and trace the 12V power until it no longer is present. At that point you would have identified the failed component.

This requires access to the Electrical Wiring Diagram for your model year and an understanding of how to read it. That might be too much to expect from the electricians that are available to you, and therefore is yet another reason you should unwind the transaction if possible.

Here is the Toyota Europe website where you can obtain technical service information:

Toyota Service Information

#5 Patrick Wong, Aug 13, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2014
    babfems likes this.
  6. Easy Rider 2

Easy Rider 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    I think you should DO that. It is probably the best that you can expect.......even if you lose a little bit because of "administration" or paper work costs.

AND......in the future, do ***NOT*** buy anything where the seller says "It only needs......(anything)" because if it really was that simple, he would have fixed it already. With modern electronically controlled cars, things that appear minor can turn out to be VERY major......and that gets worse every year.

babfems likes this.
  7. babfems

babfems New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you Patrick Wong and Easy Rider 2, your contributions are very helpful. I will contact the trader now that I have the Logbook to see what I can get from him.

I have also considered towing the Faulty Goods line & using Sale of Goods Act to seek redress, even though it looks like it will be a long process.

Thanks again.

8. Paige

Paige Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I have the Exact same symptoms this guy had. Exact! Tell me there isn’t just a fuse that runs those systems?

Paige

9. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Is your car an SKS model (where the FOB can be in your pocket while you drive, etc)
    Does the SKS function work, or do you have to put the FOB into the key slot?
    When you put your foot on the brake and press the power button, does the dash turn on?
    Does the car go to ready mode and drive?