1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Dome Lights on...help!

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by fgerwig, Oct 8, 2009.

1. fgerwig

fgerwig New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I just brought my 2010 home tonight and the dome light and map lights are staying on despite the switches being in the "door" position. The manual says they will be on for 20 minutes after I exit the car, but it has been over a 1/2 hour. Any advice? I really do not want a dead battery on my shiny new car!

2. fgerwig

fgerwig New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Oh well, never mind. It seems to have resolved itself. My wife played around opening doors and closing them for a few minutes and it is now fine. They go off as soon as one locks the doors.

3. epi117

epi117 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    dont feel bad i got mine thursday and as payment for not paying attention to salesman, took me five mins to figure out how to turn off car.

on the hand i am deeply in love with my 2010 black prius, was day dreaming about washing it this weekend.

4. fgerwig

fgerwig New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Mine has not repeated the "dome lights on" issue. I resisted washing mine today as it has been raining here in WV since the evening I brought it home. The good thing about the Sandy Beach Metallic paint...it does not show dirt. We too are absolutely loving our new Prius.

5. kneeboard

kneeboard New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    My 2015 Prius V suddenly had the dome light stay on. There was no open door indicators on the dash. I tried opening and closing doors and I manipulated the dash dimmer/on switch and nothing worked, the dome lights stayed on. I removed the dome light fuse and later put it in and the dome light stayed on again. I removed the dome fuse and left it out. 2 weeks later I had a 12v auxiliary battery problem and called AAA for a jump. I had to replace the battery, 6 yrs old. 2 weeks later before I took the Prius in for an oil change, I reinstalled the Dome light fuse. The Dome light worked correctly and I didn't have to have Toyota service look at it.

6. Vincent Detour

Vincent Detour Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I learned on this forum the way to assure your dome lights go off, especially in daylight when you may not notice that a door, or the hatch, is ajar, is yes to lock the doors. I never used to bother locking when there was nothing in the car to steal.

Then I had my first incident running down my accessory battery, and that causing it to fail and need replacement.

Mind you, it was the original battery, and seven years old, but it was a big hassle to figure it out and replace it in my driveway, for me.

Doors are locked always now.

7. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I park in the garage and never lock the car, dome light stays off. Haven’t ran into that issue in particular yet. To Borrow a quote, as usual, your miles may vary.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  8. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Same story here.

There may be a connection between locking the car and dome light going off. Maybe one of the (unlocked) doors is slightly ajar or something? There's a little rubber "nib" in each door frame, that you can depress. They're switches; depressed they signal to the car that that door is closed. Maybe try opening one door at a time, see if the dome light goes off when you depress the nib. Could be one is failing to close (or open), whatever it does when depressed.

When I'm depressed..., oh, off topic.

9. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    My dome lights linger for a minute or so after closing the door, and then fade stylishly out.

However, if I lock the door, they fast-forward immediately to the stylish part.

So locking the door might not have much to do with the end result of dome lights being out, but makes it easier to confirm they've gone out, without loitering around the car for that minute or so it would otherwise take.

10. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    i purposely left one key information out, just like people who never post the CEL codes and can’t figure out what’s wrong. Anyways, the dimmer wheel is rolled all the way down and flip the dome light off so no lights are on when all doors and hatch are fully closed.

Mendel Leisk likes this.