1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Don Quixote

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by daniel, Nov 21, 2005.

1. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Don Quixote, in the famous novel of the same name, is described by the auther as an idiot. His brains have been scrambled by reading too many trashy books (of knight errantry) and he is completely delusional. he thinks a windmill is a giant; he thinks two flocks of sheep are opposing armies; he thinks an inn is a castle. He believes that he is a great hero who should be revered by everyone and he is sure that in the end he will be rewarded with wealth and honor. But everywhere he goes he leaves destruction behind him. The windmill does more damage to him than he does to it, but he kills a great number of the sheep, he refuses to pay his bill at the inn, he releases a chain of criminals; he does almost nothing good and he is a menace to good people wherever he goes. In the end he regains his sanity and repents of his crimes shortly before his death.

And yet he is universally regarded as a great hero and someone to be emulated. His is the unofficial patron saint of lost causes. He was the emblem of the loyalists (the anti-fascists) in the Spanish civil war. As though he was fighting for good but defeated by stronger evil forces, when in fact he is doing evil, under the delusion of doing good.

How does a destructive, delusional idiot become a univeral hero?

(Note: I am not criticising the book. It's a wonderful book. But it's not a book about a hero. It's a book about a maniac.)

(Another note: It's one of the few books that's good even in translation, though it's better in the original.)

(Yet another note: I've read a few of the books that Quixote read, from a collection entitled "Historias caballerescas del siglo XVI," and while it's fun to read the books a famous fictional character supposedly read, they are, as Cervantes said, pretty dreadful.) (They are surprisingly easy to read, though, once you figure out just a few archaic words and a few common letter substitutions - - assuming you read Spanish, that is.)

2. LaughingMan

LaughingMan Active Member

Is this a thinly veiled critique of certain monkey-faced world leaders? :lol:

.. and his loving public who thinks of the idiot as a hero? :D

3. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    No. I can see how a parallel could be drawn. But when I criticise Bush I do it openly. This is about nobody but the fictional Don Q.

4. LaughingMan

LaughingMan Active Member

Cool. "How does a destructive, delusional idiot become a univeral hero?"

Good question indeed!

5. DanP

DanP Member

Where did you get the idea that Don Quixote was ever a "great hero" to anyone? While people often compare their opponents to Don Quixote, no one would ever identify themselves with that character.

6. Rancid13

Rancid13 Cool Chick with a Black Prius

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    My first instinct would be to ask George. That proves it can be done. ;)

7. rohlrogge

rohlrogge Rich

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Don Quixote was a romantic idealist and had all the faults that come with that role!!

I actually have to disagree with people not identifying with some aspect of Don Quixote - everyone is frustrated at the wrongs that occur in the complex world we live in today and also at what might be viewed as our individual inability to correct or deal with those wrongs. Don Quixote acted out out his desire to correct all wrongs and you can see what he experienced. There is a message here somewhere and when we figure it out the world will be headed in the right direction.

Actually here is an extract from a web site that makes a comment on the meaning of Don QUixote - "...Different ages have tended to read different things into the novel. When it first came out, it was usually interpreted as a comic novel. After the French Revolution it was popular in part due to its central ethic that individuals can be right while society is quite wrong and disenchanting—not comic at all. In the 19th century it was seen as a social commentary, but no one could easily tell "whose side Cervantes was on". By the 20th century it became clear that it was simply a unique and great work, the first true modern novel...". Here is the link to that web site - http://www.answers.com/topic/don-quixote

8. Schmika

Schmika New Member

The curent mantra of many people today is that "as long as it is for the right reason...do anything you want". Many failed policies (both liberal and conservative) suffer from the "feel good" reasoning rather than the "does it really work" reasoning.

I didn't know he was a hero. People who consider him a hero probably look to other leaders based on what they "say" not what they "do".

9. maggieddd

maggieddd Senior Member

Universally regarded as a hero by whom???? The intellectuals, the teachers, the literally critics, the corrida fighters, whom?
    I don't regard him as a hero, but you might. I will agree that in Spain he is regarded as a hero but universally all over the world? Not really.
    Maybe you think he was regarded as a "hero" because a "hero" in a novel is just a principal male character?

10. tag

tag Senior Member

In addition, since when is referring to a person, his/her attributes, or goals as "quixotic" or "quixotical" considered to be complimentary? I've always sort of been left with the opposite impression.

11. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    This reminds me of the George C. Scott movie They Might Be Giants. In that movie George C. Scott played a judge who thought he was Sherlock Holmes. He said that Don Quixote was crazy because he thought windmills were giants. If he had said they might be giants he wouldn't be crazy. :)

12. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Okay. So apparently I was wrong in thinking that don Q was universally regarded as a hero. But many do consider him so, as a few of the replies above have shown. He was the patron saint of the Loyalists, who knew from the start that they would lose the war, but also believed they were fighting against something inexpressibly evil (fascism).

I think maybe I find Rich's reply the most helpful: that Quixote was a romantic idealist. It's also interesting that people have not always been certain where Cervantes stood. Very near the beginning, as don Q is starting out on his first adventure, we are told that the sun beat down so hot that it would have dried up his brain, if he had had one (after reading all those trashy books). And it is pretty clear that Cervantes excoriated the books Quixote read. And I can tell you they are dreadful books indeed. After that, I was pretty sure I knew where Cervantes stood.

However, I can see how he could be seen as a romantic idealist. His intent was always to do good, and to (singlehandedly) transform the world.

The adjective quixotic can be applied in a semi-positive way: a kind-hearted and misguided bumbler may be refered to endearingly as quixotic.

Anyway, thanks everyone for your thoughts.

13. DanP

DanP Member

Yes, he was a romantic idealist, but he was also singularly out of touch with reality. I'm not saying the character is without admirable qualities--far from it. He possessed the most admirable qualities we normally associate with the medieval nobility, including a marked "greatness of spirit" or magnanimity. Ultimately, however, the character is quite out of his mind, and no one in his right mind would choose emulate him. Come to think of it, however, I can see how a prisoner might find a special attraction for Don Quixote.

14. maggieddd

maggieddd Senior Member

does one mean many?

15. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Daniel

At first I resented being "forced" to take Alternative and Liberal Ed credit classes in college (20 credit hours I'd rather have spent taking Chem or Math or computer science), but I now am generally thankful for those clases - including Classic Lit - for enriching me with broader horizons.

After reading Don Quixote a few times in college, I had come to the conclusion that the story was a warning to us for not taking social circumstances, politics, etc, at face value without questioning the underlying meaning or "real" issue. By not taking the warning to heart, we run the very real risk of becoming that which we fear or try to prevent.

Eg: "tough on immigration" and we become as brutal and repressive as other countries we routinely chastise.

Or maybe I'm just getting sentimental and romantic about my early college days.

jay

16. rohlrogge

rohlrogge Rich

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Literary license allows an author to create symbolic scenes which can take many forms and they should not be confused with reality. The spirit of the idealisms should rise above the literal interpretation of the author's fictional events. I only wish that deep inside all of us there lies the slightest desire to do the right thing regardless of the potential minor or significant impact on me physically, mentally or spiritually.

Sorry for waxing philosophic!!

Daniel, thanks for raising the subject.

17. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Maggie, I don't understand your question. What are you refering to when you ask "Does one mean many?"?