1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Done series of suspension repairs, but...

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Toyotally04, Aug 26, 2022.

1. Toyotally04

Toyotally04 Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    In regard to my previous thread, I have gone to two or three places to get my sway bar end links and front struts replaced.

However, I still clearly hear a (louder) squeaking noise to my right side of the car, one sounds definitely like the right wheel, but the other sounds like behind my right shoulder although much quieter.

What am I looking for now? Brakes, or...?

2. douglasjre

douglasjre Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Sway bar bushings

3. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    That's a good call every time the wheels go up and down even a little bit and the side to side motion or any of that the sway bar bushings the sway bar tries to move and the older rubber sway bar mounts which is long since swelled and heat cycled and done whatever they're going to do 10 years ago. Are probably pretty much toast now you can pick your poison by graphite urethane whatever just pick one they're going to be way better than what you have and all of them are pretty good nothing's permanent but in this situation it'll be a one-time do for the car.

4. Toyotally04

Toyotally04 Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So the Toyota dealership and a franchise auto shop both recommended brake fluid exchange and cooler system fluid exchange.

But I still hear a couple occasional squeaking in one drive on local streets.*

* Edit

#4 Toyotally04, Aug 27, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2022
  5. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Loud squeak is those links. You must use the OEM links as after market will probably make noise. Last I looked there $102 each Toyota online.

You get what you pay for.

6. Toyotally04

Toyotally04 Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    But I did do the sway end links at the Toyota dealership for roughly $350.

The parts were 116 for a pair, according to the invoice.

edthefox5 likes this.
  7. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    That sounds more like it about 60 bucks a pop $120 sounds a little steep to me but what about this sway bar bushings they hold the bar to the frame of the car once they get dried out and yucky if you will they tend to make a squeaking noise. Right now I also have a left rear drum brake that when I let up off the break it makes a squeak as the shoes let go or not in the clamping mode it's very faint but you hear it if you are backing out of your driveway or doing whatever you hear that you're like what in the Hale. But I know what it is when I have a minute and have the rear drums off I'll get everything straight I just looked back there not long ago they're not worth changing yet but they're so old I'm probably going to do it anyway The shoes look not too questionable so I'm just probably going to change them they're too cheap not to and at that time I'll clean and refresh everything under the drum.

8. douglasjre

douglasjre Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    4 bolts

Attached Files:

9. Toyotally04

Toyotally04 Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Anyhoo, I took the Prius to another place for wheel alignment. Their vehicle inspection suggests brake fluid exchange with ABS and maintenance on engine and inverter coolant; the only itemized recommendations that agrees with the dealership.