1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Dont all Prius's come with an Alarm?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by JohnRobinson, Apr 20, 2010.

1. JohnRobinson

JohnRobinson Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I have a 2005 with alarm (plus alarm button on key) and today picked up my new 2007 model. I cant beleive Im gonna say this but it was only when I got it home that it doesnt have an alarm button on the key. Therefore no alarm? I guess I didnt check because I assumed that all Prius's came with it as standard. Kinda built into the whole keyless system....

So do you think my car doesnt have an alarm or is it a case of the parts are there and it just needs to be activated and therefore buy new keys with alarm button on?

Thanks in advance.

John

2. Mike Dimmick

Mike Dimmick Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It depends on your location. Different Toyota subsidiaries/wholesalers have specified different equipment.

The UK models all came with built-in alarms but that's because we historically had a high level of car crime. It's now a lot lower because of immobilisers and alarms being fitted as standard equipment, but I reckon you could not sell a car over here without a factory-fitted alarm.

My 2008 car definitely has an alarm - I've set it off before - but no specific alarm button on the keyfob. It's only got lock and unlock buttons. US models also have a 'panic' button on the keyfob.

The alarm is standard on all new mainland European (left-hand drive) Prius, assuming your local distributor hasn't customized the spec.

1 person likes this.
  3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Nope. All Priuses have an engine immobiliser. However, on the Gen 2, you can have the dealer activate it (FoC if you ask nicely)

1 person likes this.