1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Don't Get Taken Every Time

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by JackDodge, Oct 30, 2007.

1. JackDodge

JackDodge Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    http://dontgettakeneverytime.com/about_the_book.htm

Some really great information regarding the consumer's car buying experience which is laden with minefields and slimy car dealers. Some of the most surprising facts, that car dealers will deliberately lower your credit rating so that you won't qualify for their advertised low interest rates. That they own EVERY web site that purports to sell directly to you so that you can avoid the car dealerships. That your local TV consumer reporter won't dare investigate car dealerships because the local TV stations get so much advertising money from car dealers who are vindictive and won't hesitate to tell the station to get in line or lose their business. That means fire the reporter and apologize to the dealer for their "mistakes". And, Toyota issues a credit card “using the latest integrated chips.â€, giving them "the legal right to assess your credit regularly without checking with you further." Every car dealer does this. Every manufacturer does it. It obviously doesn't mean that you should avoid buying a new car but should have your eyes wide open when doing so.

2. Miss_Taz

Miss_Taz New Member

You say that "car dealers will deliberately lower your credit rating".

How exactly do they do this? Do they just tell you it's lower than it really is? Or are you suggesting they provide false data to the credit reporting agencies to actually change the score???

-Vikki

3. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Let me guess, they're all run by the Illuminati in their secret bunkers in Area 51, right?

4. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, there are plenty of slimy car dealers, and all local TV news outlets are heavily dependent on car advertising.

OTOH, people who borrow money to buy new cars are usually robbing themselves.

5. FloridaWen

FloridaWen New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(richard schumacher @ Nov 14 2007, 11:03 AM) [snapback]539436[/snapback]</div>
    Oh so true.... as if most vehicle's rapid depreciation isn't enough you borrow money and end up paying close to 1 1/2 times the original vehicle cost due to finance charges (interest).

Speaking of rapid depreciation, we had a 2003 Acura MDX Touring with Navi, Trailer towing package, etc. It cost us around $42,000 in February 2003. We took out an "equity loan" for it at around 5%+ but were lucky enough to pay it off within the first year after purchase. We traded (May '07) this "perfect condition" vehicle, no dents, dings, rust, flawless.... with four brand new Michelin tires, brand new battery, new Brembo ventilated rotors, ceramic brake pads, etc. and less than 52K miles. The Toyota Dealer (Tampa) gave us $19,500 "trade-in" for the MDX................. ouch !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. apriusfan

apriusfan New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(FloridaWen @ Nov 19 2007, 05:25 AM) [snapback]541501[/snapback]</div>
    Well, the Toyota dealer does need to make some money on selling the car. With pre-owned, there are no incentives (holdback, promotional, etc.) from the manufacturer, so the car has to stand on its own. Depending on where the market for the car is at in your area, Kelly Blue Book may be a total fiction. $19,500 may have been the most recent price paid at auction for a MDX. Auction price is what the dealer can use to assess risk on the resell - if they can't move the car, they can sell it at auction.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Miss_Taz @ Nov 14 2007, 06:52 AM) [snapback]539396[/snapback]</div>
    One way that can be used is to hit the credit report a bunch of times in a row. That will drop the credit score that everyone uses to determine 'credit-worthiness'. Each hit costs a fee, so the tactic is not free; and, depending on the state law, such a tactic can be illegal.

7. FloridaWen

FloridaWen New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(apriusfan @ Nov 19 2007, 10:52 PM) [snapback]541792[/snapback]</div>
    That's the key word "auction" !! I kept quoting to the Toyota Dealer that Kelly Blue is at $21K in "excellent" cond. (as ours was) and the Toyota Dealer kept saying "auction"............. what he could get an MDX like ours at an auto auction. It really didn't matter our MDX was really close to "showroom condition" with all the bells and whistles and many NEW items. I guess we are lucky as he did give us OVER $1500 off the new '07 Prius and it wasn't even in stock (had to wait for an incoming vehicle coming to Port) and we did get the "ToyoGuard" package omitted and saved some more $$ there !! Not complainin', just trying to make a point of rapid depreciation in a high end vehicle like an Acura MDX. I'm guessin' the 19MPG and PREMIUM FUEL ONLY requirements made the MDX a less than favorable vehicle, although we saw that it sold off the used vehicle lot in less than four weeks from day of trade-in !!

8. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(richard schumacher @ Nov 14 2007, 11:03 AM) [snapback]539436[/snapback]</div>
    Yes, I agree 100%. Unless borrowing the money doesn't cost you anything (a 0.00% APR), I feel like it's always better to pay cash.

9. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    well, not all of us can afford to pay cash for an item like a car.

as far as financing goes, i always heard that they can't run your credit report without your SSN. but you do have to let them see your driver's license, and i wonder if they can't manage with that info alone.

the higher your credit rating, the easier it is to take it down a few points too.

10. apriusfan

apriusfan New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ Nov 21 2007, 06:32 PM) [snapback]542751[/snapback]</div>
    The SSN is required for the credit report/rating. I imagine the request for the driver's license is to confirm the name on the SSN is really 'you'. Although I wonder how they would handle a married name being different from the name on the SSN....

11. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I think I'd take up to, perhaps, a 3.99%APR over four years, so it isn't black and white for me, either. I just want to know, at least in theory, that I could invest the money and maybe equal or beat the interest rate!
    :)

My parents were real hardliners about paying cash for everything (if at all possible), and how it's important to figure in the cost of not doing so, and I guess that's where I got it from.

12. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Credit checks need an SSN because all the reporting agencies are
    still using SSNs as an indexing system like they're NOT SUPPOSED TO.
    Steer clear of the whole mess if possible; your privacy will have a
    much easier time of it.
    _H*