1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Don't tease the diesels

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by bwilson4web, May 25, 2008.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus

At another web site, some of the hybrid members made some catty remarks about 'Where are the diesel advocates ...' and sure enough, a couple showed up.

Nice enough folks, the diesel advocates are loyal to their ride but unfortunately were reduced to asserting that the new EPA numbers were too low relative to owner reports. They cited the 2006 Jetta reports at Fuel Economy. I empathized citing the years Prius owners were bashed by skeptic claims,"You won't get EPA numbers ..." Then thanks to their tip, I saw the user reported mileage numbers from each vehicle could be pulled and loaded into a spreadsheet.

I took the user reported mileage from the 2006 Jetta diesel automatic and the 2006 Prius and put them into a spreadsheet. I sorted the data and converted the order into a percentage so I could plot both vehicle's mileage reports on the same scale. I trimmed out the upper and lower 5%, the outliers, to calculate the middle, 90% user averages for both vehicles:
    [​IMG]
    This chart shows the reported mileage for both 2006 vehicles. In absolute numbers, the Prius comes out significantly ahead. The price difference per gallon between diesel and regular gasoline puts another burden on the diesel owners. Furthermore, the diesel advocates also pointed to the new EPA rules showing it now includes the 'cold CO' test on the diesels that would further reduce the EPA ratings. Understand I'm not a diesel skeptic as much as a hybrid defender, facts and data first.

I would love to see diesel-hybrids and at one time, we were on track to get some until the hydrogen fool cell program de-funded it. Having answered hybrid skeptics with facts and data, I empathize with the problems of diesel advocates. Sad to say, it will take sympathetic reviewers who can address both the "better than expected MPG" and "diesel isn't that expensive" arguments. It is a tough row to hoe.

Bob Wilson

2. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I've been mocked for suggesting HYBRID diesels. They clearly aren't receptive to change yet... especially when you bring up the topic of real-world data, knowing the new emission requirements cause an efficiency reduction. And they aren't too thrilled when I bring up the 1,200 mile road-rally, where the 2 Prius got better MPG than the diesel. The higher price of diesel obviously doesn't sit too well with them either.

3. Sheepdog

Sheepdog C'Mere Sheepie!

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Im not so concerned about whether jetta owners are upset about diesel as I am that all of our goods and food is transported on trucks and trains fueled by diesel. Efficient yes, but expensive and not getting better any time soon!

4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I would think trucks are suitable candidates for hybrid technology. They're large enough that the battery size shouldn't matter (hey, isn't there a huge empty spot above the cab, behind the wind deflector?) plus it'll allow for auto-shut off at traffic lights. I would think an electric motor could help multiply the torque significantly and plus hp isn't that big of an issue so diesel+battery should be worth while.

5. RhythmDoctor

RhythmDoctor Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I'm not going to mock you, but in my non-expert opinion, diesel hybrids have two things going against them:

Diesels historically do not lend themselves well to frequent on-off cycles. They do not start or stop smoothly. This is why people often complain about diesels idling too much - it can be a pain to stop and start them up

Also, diesels engines tend to be heavy, which increases the challenge for running on electric motors in a full hybrid.

I know diesel technology has come a long way, but I am not sure that they are the most compatible match for sharing a powertrain with an electric motor.

As I said, I am definitely NOT an expert at this, and my knowledge of diesels is decades out of data. So I invite someone with more knowledge to prove my biases wrong.

6. RhythmDoctor

RhythmDoctor Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I little top-heavy, don't you think? :eek:

7. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I suppose but honestly, they wouldn't be doing any fancy cornering at moderate speed. Heck more and more of the cabs are coming with ESP so that should help stabilise things (not that they should rely heavily on electronics but every bit helps)

8. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Actually the same claim would be valid about our hybrids if they still used those tiny, 2-5 hp starter motors. But hybrids have 'starter motors' that are nearly 4-5 times larger and closely integrated to the engine. It actually turns out that the Prius engine is gas starved and electric stopped. You can really tell the difference by doing the following experiment:

• warm up the car by driving for 10-15 minutes
    • at a speed above 42 mph slip the car into "N"
    • once the speed drops below say 40 mph, slip it into "D" and quickly back into "N"
    • feel the ICE shudder to a stop
    Yet if you do the same experiment by keeping the car in "D" for about 5 seconds and then back to "N", MG1 will have smoothly brought the ICE to a halt and there will be no shudder.
    They come in all sizes including 60,000 lb. interstate vehicles. What this means is the vehicle driving profile has to be optimized and that may require architectures other than the HSD/TSD architecture.
    There are more than one hybrid architectures and we need to match the specific system to the vehicle profile:

• Toyota/Ford PSD, dual MG architecture
    • dual-clutch, Volkswagen, transmission
    • hydraulic hybrid
    • split wheel drive
    • series hybrid
    Each has specific advantages and disadvantages and needs to matched to the vehicle mission. For example, the hydraulic hybrid is perfect for garbage pickup and mail delivery vans. Also, don't forget that interstate truckers have a large volume of space under the trailer floor-boards for energy storage systems.

Bob Wilson

9. dwdean

dwdean Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    You know, if I've said it once, I've said it a thousand times....diesel hybrids already exist, and they're in use this very second moving goods around this country and around most other countries. We just don't ever think of them as hybrid vehicles, but all modern (think roughly 1950 through the present) railroad locomotives, except maybe the yard slugs, are hybrids. The diesel engine is used to generate electricity which is used to turn traction motors on the wheels.

They do in fact get phenomenal fuel economy (see for example http://www.aar.org/getFile.asp?File_id=364.) Yes, it's an industry publication, but the numbers aren't considered to be controversial.

Regenerative breaking is another thing that came from railroads. Modern diesel-electrics all do it (called dynamic breaking), the difference is what happens to the juice generated. Locomotives generally don't store the electricity in a battery, they either use it or dissipate it as heat.

It should be fairly easy to translate all the experience into a diesel truck with or without batteries. Heck, the Volvo C30 that's still in development is taking a page straight out of the railroad book. If I understand it correctly, all the motive power comes from four traction motors (one on each wheel, just like a train). The ICE simply drives a generator.

Diesel hybrids don't have to be that ambitious, but we shouldn't be too far from them. I only wish something could be done about the particulate exhaust issue.

10. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I'm not in the least interested in a diesel engine. The diesel proponents very conveniently ignore the higher NOx and PM10/PM2.5. They also like to pretend that diesel exhaust isn't a proven carcinogenic or that it contains dioxin

11. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    [gasp] you mean you didn't statistically *test* for outliers? ;)

12. Per

Per New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    The big problem with Big truck hybrids is weight. Trucks are limited to 80,000 pounds total weight including the trailer(s). Any added weight will decrease the weight they can carry, for less profit. Also keep in mind you would need a very large electric motor--our diesel in the motorhome makes 1350 lb-ft of torque--any idea what size electric motor you would need to equal that? Then you would have to work out the details of the transmission--I doubt an HSD would work at that scale, and still be weight-efficient.

13. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The newest diesel-electric trains are starting to offer battery storage as an option.

Another place where diesel-electric hybrids have been common for years are ships. Almost all WWII era submarines, most new tug boats, ice breakers, and other working vessels use or used diesel-electric systems.

Tom

14. JSH

JSH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Diesel particulates are not a known carcinogen, ALL vehicle particulates are known carcinogens. Current diesels that utilize particulate filters can have official PM numbers of 0, just like gasoline engines. They don't really have 0 PM, they just reduce the PM size below what is measured by the standard just like gasoline engines. As far as official numbers though, you are living in the past. Diesels and Gasoline engines are equal in emissions, 0 PM.

Of course you don't really think your Prius has 0 PM emissions do you? A quick swipe of your finger inside your tailpipe will prove that theory wrong.

Now diesel NOx is higher than in a gasoline engine. This is directly related to the higher combustion temperatures due to higher compression. This higher compression in the primary reason that diesels have better mileage than gasoline engines. As gasoline engines get more efficient and use higher compression ratio's they are running into NOx issues as well.

15. dwdean

dwdean Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    That would be a real feat! I'm guessing that means that they've made some inroads into the charge density/weight issue. I always thought that the lack of the ability to store energy produced by regenerative breaking was a major flaw and sad to watch all that energy dissipated as heat. On the other hand the battery necessary to capture it was impractically large and correspondingly heavy.

I'd frankly be happy to see the current railroad technology transferred to trucks and the like while they work out the problems with storing electricity for use downstream.

Nobody said they have to put HSD in diesel trucks on the first go. I'd just like so see them use the fuel that they burn more efficiently.

16. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    No, I do not believe my Prius has zero emissions. No current internal combustion engine does, or will

However, diesels produce *far* more particulate and NOx emissions, even with a DPF. If you can find issue with the following, please let me know

http://www.toronto.ca/health/pdf/de_technical_appendix.pdf

http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/2002/agendas/committees/hl/hl020729/it004.pdf

Subject Top Page: The Report on Diesel Exhaust

Subject Top Page: Diesel Programs and Activities

More Californians Killed By Diesel Pollution Than Homicide

Sick of Soot: Solutions to California's Diesel Pollution

Diesel Engines and Public Health

The last one compares the proposed T2B5 with the "strict" EuroIV and proposed EuroV diesel emissions standard. Quite a difference

http://www.ucsusa.org/assets/documents/clean_vehicles/dieseldilemma_fullreport.pdf

17. problemchild

problemchild New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Diesel has more power per gallon then gas. I think its almost 20% more power. If they could make a hybrid that had a diesel engine powering an electric motor and also had regen it would be a winner. If the diesel engine runs at its most optimal rpm range to power the electric motor it could be made to be very efficient. You could also use the diesel engine for direct drive if the extra power was needed.

The car would probably get 75+ mpg and maybe 100+.

18. dwdean

dwdean Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Frankly, I reject your challenge; it is simply a pointless rhetorical device.

The question isn't the science, it's the spin and the way the science is being used.

Let’s not loose track of reality.

No one here is claiming that diesels are "clean", but then again no one here is claiming that burning gasoline is "clean". If we want to continue living in the 21st century, then we're going to have to find ways of using our resources more efficiently. That includes diesel.

When you have divested your life of all the things that are touched by the use of diesel (in any form), you can make your argument legitimately. Until then, it's just a bit more than a little hypocritical to be sitting in your comfortable 21st century, first world life complaining about evils of diesel.

How many of the things in the room you're sitting in as you're reading this got to you on a truck, boat, or train (that includes the materials that the building is made of, your computer, and goes right down to your underwear)? How many of those things are you willing to do without (including the computer that you're going to rebut this on)?

Enough said.

While you may not care about diesels, you still benefit from them and you should be glad that there are folks out there trying to make better use of that particular technology. Can they do better? Yes. Should we be actively looking for and developing alternatives? Yes!

Should we be imitating the ostrich and sticking our heads in the sand? Well, you can if you want, that’s your right. I for one will be keeping my head up and my brain fully engaged. We need options and we need a bunch of them. We’re not going to get out of this with a one size fits all solution.

Peace.

19. bulldog

bulldog Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Do you have any EPA diesel tests showing 0 PM for the current test?

The last TD number I looked at was for the 2006 Jetta TDi and the EPA test showed 0.046 for the PM.

20. JSH

JSH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    No I don't because the EPA has not release the emissions data for the 2009 TDI yet. However, particulate filters have been used for years in Europe. Here is the results from the UK's equivalent of the EPA. Same car, different engines:

2008 BMW 123d with particulate filter:
    VCAcarfueldata.org.uk - Search Results - Further Information

Fuel: Diesel
    Fuel Consumption: 5.6 (l/100 km)
    CO2: 148 (g/km)
    Noise: 68.0 (dB )
    CO: 0.385 (g/km)
    HC: 0.023 (g/km)
    NOx: 0.186 (g/km)
    Particulates: 0.000
    Euro Standard: IV

2008 BMW 125i Automatic: