1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Don't you just hate it when...

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by ozyran, May 10, 2007.

1. ozyran

ozyran New Member

...you forget to look at your MFD before you turned off your car, only to realize you wanted to see what your FE was?

At the end of running some errands, I stopped at the Post Office and shut off the car, and then went to look at the MFD. Oops. All data lost for that trip.

I had a really good P & G session on the way back from my errands, in city traffic no less, and managed to a.) not tick off anyone B) and b.) get about 50 mpg! I love my Prius!

And now for the first month ownership report (about 3 days early, but what the hey):

Well, I must say that over the past month I've been very happy with the performance of Pris. She's delivered good mileage driving like a normal person, good mileage when I turn into Mario Andretti to get on the Interstate, and OUTSTANDING mileage when you use pulse and glide - on the highway, and on the surface streets.

When going up a long grade, I've learned it best to spool up the ICE before starting the climb and maintain speed. Trying to accelerate while going up a long grade can be an absolute bear, especially when you're going from 55 mph back up to 60. If you can go 60 mph or less on the freeway, do it. I had to plan for extra time on the road, but in the long run it was worth it going 60 mph instead of 65 or 70 (and yes, I was in the slow lane the whole time :D).

These seats are not bad, but you have to find a comfortable spot if you're driving your Prius for a serious length of time. And yes, this car's bladder WILL outlast yours, unless you're a veteran truck driver.

For those times where you need speed, she'll give it to you. She's not a sports car, but she's also not a Fiat 500, either. This car keeps up with traffic no problem.

And, just for the record, here's my tanks for the past 4 weeks:
    3/30/07: 386.2 miles - 9.403 gallons (41.072 mpg); 60% city, 40% highway (Chevron)
    5/04/07: 396.0 miles - 8.935 gallons (44.320 mpg); 70% city, 30% highway (Shell)
    5/07/07: 232.2 miles - 4.284 gallons (54.202 mpg); 30% city, 70% highway (Exxon)
    5/09/07: 338.3 miles - 6.974 gallons (48.509 mpg); 20% city, 80% highway (Shell)

We obtained decent mileage using Shell, but it looks like we might be going more with Exxon whenever possible. Oh, and BTW, doing a tune-up helps mileage IMMENSELY. I did a tune-up shortly after our first tankfull on 3/30/07 - you can see the difference right away.

2. Jack Kelly

Jack Kelly New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Because of the variables in knowing exactly how much gas is IN any particular tank, I think most would agree it's a hopeless quest to try to draw any conclusions about either MPG or the performance of any one-tank brand of gas.

3. ozyran

ozyran New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jack Kelly @ May 10 2007, 12:45 PM) [snapback]439184[/snapback]</div>
    True. However, I rather like throwing my money away on old wives' tales...

I didn't really know if the brand of gasoline really mattered, however, for semantics' sake I thought I'd post the brand.