1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Door ding

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by galaxee, May 14, 2005.

1. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Someone hit my Prius with their car door and didn't have the guts to tell me about it... I coudl just cry. My first brand new car and it already looks screwed up. :cry: :cry: :cry:

Should I get the police involved? Any ideas? :(

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Who you gonna sic the police on? They'd just report it to your insurance company who'd put a mark on your record and the cost probably won't be as much as your deductible for your trouble.

If it's bad just get an estimate...if it isn't too much pay out of pocket. If it's a lot and it's less than your deductible then go ahead and claim it with insurance...they usually don't need/want an accident report for something like that.

3. autoxic

autoxic Commuter

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    You can file a police report, but it won't help. Ask your insurance company or someone who knows the law in your state, NC.

Save a paint chip from the enemy car if any can be found. Keep an eye out for cars that match that color and have scrapes. Revenge will be yours! J/K.

My car (not my Prius) was hit last year, denting and scraping a lot of one side. The other car did not stick around. I made an insurance claim, and Progressive told me that "hit and run" incidents have a different deductible than my normal comprehensive coverage. The deductible in VA was $200.

The total damage was over $1000 from my parking lot "ding", but I had my car back in less than a week, and I got a rental car.

Short version: Check your deductibles, find out about hit-and-run deductible in NC if any, and get an estimate for repair. If deductible is near repair cost, don't bother with calling your insurance company.

Other option: clean it up, use scratch remover and buff it out, and see if you can live with it. Total cost: $5. Your car will get more dents.

BTW, my car got a windshield chip from a rock the third day I had it! That stank, bu tI got it fixed for free.

4. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Hmm.... thanks for the info.

My husband came home to console me and view the offense against my Prius this afternoon. He assured me that he could get a heat gun from work and fix it since the door is made of aluminum. He also works with a paint guy who is a friendly guy and already fixed a small scratch for free to return a favor. So maybe we could get away with something cheaply.

I guess it's not too awful but it's pretty irritating that I drove a POS for 6 years and nothing like this happened to it, but less than 2 months with my first brand new car and it gets dinged.

If I find the responsible car I will be having words with the driver. What a chicken.

And revenge won't be mine. Fortunately for everyone I park near, I put little rubber door edge liners on my car so I don't do damage to anyone else's car if I do swing it open too wide one day. And I'm no criminal, I couldn't intentionally damage someone else's car.

Sigh....