1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Door Edge Guard

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by thaight, Mar 20, 2006.

1. thaight

thaight New Member

I am looking for an inexpensive "Door Edge Guard" for a silver prius. I just installed side moulding and want to protect others when my door is opened. Does anyone know where I can purchase these guards? :)

2. swrtwdrv

swrtwdrv Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I ordered a set of color door edge guards for my Avalon from www.trdparts4u.com ($51.75 plus shipping). When I get them, I'll do a fit check on my Prius and reply back here about the fit. You should be able to find generic silver, black or clear stuff at most auto parts stores for much less.

3. gilahiker

gilahiker New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Go to the sponsors page...I know Sigma has them, I'm not sure if metrotpn has them...

4. nerfer

nerfer A young senior member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I went to PepBoys and got two pair for about $4/pair. Clear plastic, so you don't really notice them. 24" long. They had black and chrome and something else I think.

The ones on the front door can be applied higher than those on the back door (because of the way the edge of the door is made). If you like consistency, particularly with the ridge line above the door handles, you might want to think it over before sticking on the whole door guard. The back door curves more, so the guard won't go down as far, unless you buy extra, but you don't need the inside curve to be guarded.

I had these on my Subaru, and they worked well (I have a young son, so this was easier than watching him every time he opened the door in a crowded parking lot). After a few years one started getting loose, so I took it off. Was going to put on another but I bought the Prius :)

nerfer

5. swrtwdrv

swrtwdrv Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I received the color door edge guards for my Avalon and they are preformed, rigid plastic. They can't be adapted to fit a Prius.

6. yoyoman

yoyoman Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    This is the problem I have after installing the door edge guard. THe gap between the front and rear door is too narrow. When I open the rear door, the rear door is actually touching the front door edge. I have tried to cut the door edge thinner and still touching a little bit. Anyone has a better idea to put on??

7. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I know the perfect product to use... but not exactly what it is called or where to get it. Sorry!

For many years and many vehicles, I have used an L-shaped (in cross-section) 3M product that is black rubber with 3M sticky on the fat, bumper leg of the L. The other leg (very thin) fits into the crack between the sheet metal. You peel the paper back, and stick it into place. WAY better than those U-shaped things that I've tried before. This stuff sticks and stays, and interferes with nothing. I haven't found it at the retail level - I but it from my tint guy who buys it in huge rolls. Would love to find it if anybody turns it up. I'm even willing to buy a big roll and sell pre-cut lengths.

Here's what it looks like. Top couple of pictures:
    http://www.darelldd.com/ev/prius_exterior.htm

8. Kathleen2

Kathleen2 New Member

I purchased my door edge guards from K-Mart. They had both black and silver. Price $3.95 for a pair.
    Kathleen

9. joy

joy New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(darelldd @ Apr 18 2006, 12:10 AM) [snapback]241348[/snapback]</div>
    Where did you get your bumper protecter from? I looked on Toyota's website and couldn't find it. Your car looks great. By the way what type of tint did you use? I am getting my car (silver pine mica) next week and they are putting the Formula one pinnacle film on it (been highly recomended). It only comes in 15% and 35% as well as one other. I was going to do the 35% on the front 2 windows and 15% on back, am afraid of having it be too dark ( they don't have 20%). I think I might do the 35% on the upper hatch like you did, are you happy with it lighter there?

10. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(joy @ Apr 29 2006, 12:19 AM) [snapback]247113[/snapback]</div>
    The bumper protector is from an Ebay Toyota dealer. The tint is 3M semi-metalic. I definitely would do the same shade combination again if I had to do it over. I like having the back slightly lighter than the sides for night visibility.