1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Door sill protectors

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by tjoe78, May 2, 2005.

1. tjoe78

tjoe78 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    My husband cannot get in or out of my Driftwood Prius without scuffing the door sills, the part just inside and above the black protector. Is there some kind of protector you can use? Is it a universal piece? Where can you buy? I saw some for trucks you attach with 3M tape. HELP!

2. Bob Allen

Bob Allen Captainbaba

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I've had the same problem and am looking for the same thing. One thought I had was to find one of those rubber rear bumper protectors, like the Matrix one that some of us have installed on our Prii, and cutting it down to fit.. There might be a more rectangular bumper protector that is more like the shape of the top of the door sill.
    You should be aware that the plastic used in most of the interior is very slippery and "sticky" resistant, and many of the glue backings won't adhere to it.
    A second thought which I am pursuing, is to find rubber stair treads at my local Home Depot (Lowe's Hardware didn't have them). I think these are available and if so, could be trimmed to fit on the door sill assuming the glue would stick.
    Your husband isn't the only one to scuff the doorsills; the foot well is too deep to easily move one's feet from the floor to the street without undue effort lifting your feet. I suspect the scuffing is more visible on my beige interior than it would be on the grey.
    I'll post whatever I find; you do likewise?
    Bob

3. seasalsa

seasalsa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I bought mine from Brandsport, they have them listed for the Corolla and I thought they might fit. When they came I found that they needed a lot of trimming. I finally found that by cutting one in half and trimming both sides it fit well. The material is black and the adhesive adheres well even though I cut half of one tape lengthwise. They solved the problem and look good too. They look a lot like rear bumper protectors that are being offered on eBay.

Here is the link to Brandsport. http://www.brandsport.com/gtst-93111.html

4. Bob Allen

Bob Allen Captainbaba

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Thanks for the info. Do these fit on the top of the sill, i.e., on the interior colored plastic? From the Brandsport catalogue photo, they look like they are fitted to the metal part of the door opening. There are already rubber strips there, so I assume you were mounting yours on the top of the sill on the plastic?
    Bob

5. seasalsa

seasalsa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Bob,
    Yes they fit over the beige sill with the lip extending down to the black weather stripping. I cleaned the beige sill before installation and the adhesive is holding well. I'll try to get some pictures to show how it looks.

6. Bob Allen

Bob Allen Captainbaba

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(seasalsa\";p=\"86701)</div>
    I ordered a set but was not happy with them. I used my table saw to cut them down to fit the Prius, but the lip is too large so that when I tried laying the protector over the sill, the lip pushed down against the rubber door seal.
    I could trim that back too, on the table saw, although it's a little hazardous running something where my hand has to get close to the blade.
    As I looked at the protectors laying on the sill, I didn't like the effect. I also don't think the two narrow strips of adhesive are very strong. One of them came partly off during the trip through the table saw, and the adhesive didn't seem very "grabby".
    I've decided to live with the sills the way they are and just be more careful getting in and out. Eventually, Toyota will make an after market sill protector if wear and tear become problematic.

7. seasalsa

seasalsa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Bob,
    When using a power saw on plastic try turning the blade around so it runs backwards. The plastic is cut by friction and will not chip or shatter. I learned this trick when a friend had vinyl siding installed and it really works. That being said, I trimmed mine with a utility knife, you only need to score the material and it will snap off along the score line. The utility knive split the tape right down the middle, so I got very good adhesion with only half of it on there. I did need help holding the straight edge to trim the lip otherwise it went easy.