1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Door to Door Solicitation

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by hycamguy07, Apr 30, 2007.

1. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I thought I would pass this on to the people that dispise religion.....

So in this case the police officers hands are tied.

I guess the bottom line is you need to post your property with "No Soliciting" & "No Tresspassing" to keep the unwanteds away.... :rolleyes: ;)

2. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I love it when Jehovah's Witnesses come to my door! Unfortunately, they seem to have learned not to. Heh heh heh.

3. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Stev0 @ Apr 30 2007, 12:15 PM) [snapback]432569[/snapback]</div>
    I like to tell them that I'm a Jehovah's Bystander. We are just like Jehovah's Witnesses but we don't like to get involved. :lol:

Tom

4. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(qbee42 @ Apr 30 2007, 12:21 PM) [snapback]432576[/snapback]</div>
    :lol: :huh: :mellow: :lol: :lol: :lol:

5. Tyrin

Tyrin New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Stev0 @ Apr 30 2007, 11:15 AM) [snapback]432569[/snapback]</div>
    Exactly. If I have time, I tell them, "You can tell me about your religion if I can tell you about mine." Then I take them up to my living room where the big statue of Buddha sits...

6. livelychick

livelychick Missin' My Prius

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    It works even better if you have a dark room and a pentagram drawn on the floor surrounded by candles.

Of course, I don't, but I've often wondered if something like that has ever happened to the door-to-door evangelicals. I do like using it as a forum for debate, though.

And no, I don't have no trespassing or no soliciting signs up. I can say "no" to people in a very nice way, and sometimes, it's possible to meet someone cool.

7. Tom_06

Tom_06 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(qbee42 @ Apr 30 2007, 12:21 PM) [snapback]432576[/snapback]</div>
    My Welsh brother-in-law told some Jehovah's Wittnesses that he was a Druid and then spent close to an hour trying to explain Druidism to them. Almost had a couple of converts. This was quite a few years back before the new age types invented their version and made the idea of a live practicing Druid in the USA not unusual.

- Tom

8. Alric

Alric New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
  9. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Even yesterday, a bunch of kids in their late teens were canvasing our neighborhood (posted 'no-soliciting') for $$$ for bussing their selves back east ... allegidly to a baseball camp. Meanwhile, the buggar's buddies are out drinking in the car, waiting to hit the next bunch of suckers in the next neighborhood. My stratigic spouse said, 'gimie your address so I can walk it over to you' ... but their response was, "er, we don't have time for that so never mind".

10. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't think it's any big deal; they have a right to come around to my house (I don't have a no solicitors sign posted) and I have the right to not get involved (but still be polite in the process).

Compared to all the other daily transgressions which seem to me to be so much more self centered, I'd say the missionary aspect of Christianity is (at least in the context of today) the least of my problems!

11. iaowings

iaowings New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(livelychick @ Apr 30 2007, 12:52 PM) [snapback]432588[/snapback]</div>
    I have a friend who is a dedicated Satanist and has a private prayer room and would never let anyone in it. he has had people come to his door soliciting religion and despite the complete contrast in religion he allows them to introduce themselves and all that and then he politely informs them that he has no interest. Most of the time they leave. On occasion he has to explain things twice but they usually leave. He is always polite and never rude. We never discus politics or religion and thusly we get along fine.

12. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I always answer the door and telephone. I will never cower behind a closed door or an answering machine screening calls. With the exception of the Girl Scouts coming to the door, I NEVER do business at my door or with telemarketers. Doesn't matter what they are selling. Doesn't matter what they want. I just politely tell them, "I NEVER do business in at the door [on the phone]."

I remind the telemarketers that I am on the National Do Not Call Registry. If they try to BS me with a, "we are exempt," I tell them, "that is fine, but now I am telling you to add me to your company's do not call list which you ARE required by law to maintain."

At the door, I want to know who is canvasing the 'hood.
    Burglars have been known to knock and act like they are selling something in order to see if the house is a target.

So who do I have the biggest problem with when it come to peddlers at the door who just won't take "no" for actually meaning "NO"?
    Evangelicals? No, they tend to politely smile, say "have a nice day," and move on.
    No, it's he environmentalists. :eek: Sierra Club, Greenpeace, etc.
    They just don't like to hear that they are being grouped in with all the other peddlers . . . . "But what about all the unborn gay baby whales?" :rolleyes:
    When I tell them that my contribution is the Prius sitting in the driveway, I think they feel trumped, give up and leave. :lol:

13. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sufferin' Prius Envy @ Apr 30 2007, 04:19 PM) [snapback]432779[/snapback]</div>
    Either way, whether you buy a Prius or support Greenpeace/the Sierra Club, you're a 'checkbook environmentalist.'

14. huskers

huskers Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I have been waiting for years for Jehovah's Witnesses to come to my door. I had a lot planned to mess with them. Got home today after a trip to town and their stuff was in my door. Must have been divide intervention. Maybe next time. :angry:

15. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I just say "no thank you" and every single time they have smiled said "thank you" or "sorry to bother you" and have left. Personally I think any one that wants to mess with them or insult them just shows the level of their own intolerance.

Wildkow

16. airportkid

airportkid Will Fly For Food

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Wildkow @ Apr 30 2007, 05:44 PM) [snapback]432886[/snapback]</div>
    If the intent is to be deliberately insulting, I agree. But if the intent is not to be insulting, then fair game is fair game. The evangelists make the first move, unbidden, to take up your time in a determined attempt to persuade you; they should EXPECT to be challenged and engaged in adversarial dialogue just as determinedly intended to persuade THEM. Anything other than that is a waste of both partys' time.

Mark Baird
    Alameda CA

17. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(airportkid @ Apr 30 2007, 06:29 PM) [snapback]432940[/snapback]</div>
    Hmmmm, I don't know if I would go as far as "Adversarial" but I'd have to agree. Good luck. . . :)

Wildkow

18. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I love it when evangelicals of any stripe come to my door. I invite them in and keep them in polite conversation as long as I can. I listen to what they have to say, and I ask questions. I tell them I am an atheist, and I politely raise objections to their reasoning, and listen to their responses. My goal is to keep them in conversation as long as I possibly can. I view it as a public service: the longer I keep them with me, the less time they spend pestering my neighbors, who by and large do not want to be awakened early on a Sunday morning. They always seem to be nice people, and I learn a lot about some pretty wacky beliefs. It's a great disappointment to me that the development where I live now is posted, and they never seem to come here.

19. NoMoShocks

NoMoShocks Electrical Engineer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sufferin' Prius Envy @ Apr 30 2007, 02:19 PM) [snapback]432779[/snapback]</div>
    I hate to change the subject, but are gay baby whales born gay, or is it a decision they make after they are born?

20. AuntBee

AuntBee New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    We at our subdivision were told that by law, all door to door salespersons must carry a permit. Ask to see it , they said. And if they can't produce one, phone the police and report them.