1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Door window trim falling apart on 2006?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by dvancleve, Oct 25, 2009.

1. dvancleve

dvancleve Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Howdy folks.

I just discovered today the that rubber piece at the top edge of the door/bottom edge of the side window is falling apart on both driver side doors on my 2006. The car is in AZ, but is garaged and I am surprised and dismayed to see this falling apart on a <4 year old car. I will ask, but I don't expect the dealer will be willing to do anything about it. Has anybody else seen this issue?

Thanks, Doug

2. Rokeby

Rokeby Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Could it be that you drive around a lot with the window down and your
    forearm on the door edge? (I try to remember to keep the window rolled
    up just a little above the plastic thingy at the bottom of the window.)

This isn't exactly what you've asked for, but here's a link to a discount
    Toyota parts site. I can't exactly tell what part you need from the
    diagram. Click on the name/# at the top of the page to see their price.

Wholesale Toyota Parts

I would think a competent body shop could install the piece(s) well
    below a dealers price.

Hope this helps.

3. alanh

alanh Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I'm having the same issue (also in Arizona).

I believe the part number is 75710-47010.

Unfortunately it appears that the inside door panel has to be removed to get it off.

4. dvancleve

dvancleve Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Thanks folks. I have to say this is pretty disappointing. My '97 Subaru rubber is OK so far, not like new but nothing completely falling apart. Part # 75710 does appear to be correct. At a minimum, I also need the back door piece 75730. So far, the passenger side is all in one piece, but I didn't prod much for obvious reasons...

Doug

5. dwood

dwood New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a 2007 in the Central Valley of California--HOT like Arizona in summer--pretty mild winters, kept outside at home and work. The driver's side rubber went first at about 2 & a half years. Now at just 4 years old the trim on the right passenger door is all that's left--and it's cracked. I rarely drive around with the windows down. I believe it's just a problem poor quality rubber. I'm past the 36,000 mile warranty and will have to pay for new rubber.

6. dvancleve

dvancleve Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    When I took the car in for the water pump recall, I complained about the rubber (all 4 pieces were bad by then) and the dealer covered the labor, which was more than the parts. Not ideal, but better than paying for the whole thing or trying to do it myself after buying the parts. I think Toyota is probably more focused on customer satisfaction than they were before the various debacles, so it is certainly worth a try...

Doug

7. mygreen

mygreen New Member

I'm also having the trim fall apart on my 2007 Prius in AZ. Just the driver door for now but the front passenger door looks like it is going. Anyone have any info on how to steps to replace it yourself?

8. vertible

vertible Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If you buy the new part you can see where the tabs are that hold it on and it is easy to take the old one off. I had to put some pressure on it and the old one came out no problem.

Here is a link to a thread where I listed the part numbers and a good place to buy them. I received mine in a day or two since it shipped locally in Phoenix.

9. GregAZ

GregAZ Junior Member

Pardon the necrobump, but does anyone have directions for replacing this part? Thanks!