1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Doors lock when you walk away w/ Smart Key??

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by spencer999, Dec 13, 2004.

1. spencer999

spencer999 New Member

Hey all -

I'm wondering if there is a setting that will allow you to just walk away from the car with the Smart Key fob and it senses that you've walked out of range and it automatically locks all the doors.

Isn't this part of the normal functionality of the smart entry system? or am i confused? sorry for this newbie question. i guess i could test it but i just thought i'd ask you experienced prius owners.

thanks.

2. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I know this has been asked before.. if it's possible.. i'm not sure.. i'll wait for a response with you :)

3. tag

tag Senior Member

God, I'd love that! But, I think you'll have to settle for pushing the button on the fob. :(

4. jrray

jrray New Member

Why dig for the fob? There's that convenient little black button on the exterior door handles for locking the car after you shut the door.

- Robert

5. DaveG

DaveG Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    No, it can't currently do this.

What it WILL do, is if you accidentally press the unlock button on the fob, if you don't touch one of the door handles (on cars with SE/SS) within 30 seconds, the car will auto-relock.

Dave.

6. tag

tag Senior Member

You are correct, sir! :)

I was assuming a scenario where you were already a few dozen feet from the car (obviously heading away from it) when you realized you forgot to lock the doors.

7. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

I do believe that a passive setting (auto lock and arm) is one of the dealer settable options but it also has a negative side in that you have to power up the car within 15 seconds of entering to avoide setting off the alarm.

8. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    cant you hit the lock button and the doors lock as soon as they are all closed?

9. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    NO, dangit; all doors must be closed before the black button will lock the doors. I hate this when my wife and I are somewhere and I have to wait until she closer her door to lock them.

Or as she puts it, "you know you can push the button on the armrest, don't you?"

10. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

you know that you can push the button on your side when you finally leave the car and close the door, but on second thought that sort of comment usually elicits other negative reactions, Ie no sex, lunch or other "privileges"

11. Prius Maximus

Prius Maximus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I just hit the inside door lock button as I'm getting out. Doesn't matter if 1 or all doors are still open, they all lock.

12. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    ok inside button is fine. makes me think i left my car unlocked more than a few times though.

13. gt4jeth

gt4jeth New Member

They will stay unlock. I do not lock my car and it stay unlock the next morning. If you just pull the handle to open the door that door will stay unlock with the rest of the door in lock position, and it will stay that way until you lock it.

14. tag

tag Senior Member

Back to the primary issue; Does anyone know for sure whether, as Frank indicated, this is indeed a "dealer settable option"? If so, does the setting would involve the FOB, the car, or both?

I would like to have the ability to close the door, walk away, and have the doors lock without any intervention whatsoever (yes, I realize this is a rather lazy approach and that there are alternatives). :)

15. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

I plan to have this done Thursday. Will let you know then.

16. tag

tag Senior Member

DanMan,

I assume you contacted your dealer about this procedure. Did they indicate whether they would need both FOBs and/or provide you a ballpark re the cost?

17. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

They don't need the FOB. Its just a setting in ECU (Body I suppose). They just have to connect the THHT and make the change.
    Should be covered under the 1yr adjustment period. I was going to have them do it on my last oil change, but it was Saturday; the Prius tech was real busy.

18. tag

tag Senior Member

Thanks!

I think I'm going to have it done at my next oil change then.......or recall, whichever comes first. :wink:

19. spencer999

spencer999 New Member

Yeah, finally an answer! I'm going to have it done as well!

thanks!

lawrence

20. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    when you have it done.. could you get an official name for what the procedure is called? they seem clueless unless you know the exact name of what it is.