1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Doors won't lock without FOB

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by tntna, Dec 20, 2004.

1. tntna

tntna New Member

Wife was getting packages in from the car and tried to lock the doors with the little black button. She had already brought her purse in the house which contained her FOB. The doors wouldn't lock for her. She told me and I suggested trying the button on the driver's armrest but I don't know if she got around to it.

2. betshsu

betshsu Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Ah, yes, I had this problem when I first got my car as well. The little black button is part of the SKS system, so you can't lock the car using that button unless the fob is within range of the car. Locking from inside the car should still work though.

3. NiMH

NiMH New Member

I was quite impressed when I tried to lock my door with the fob inside the vehicle and it wouldn't lock in that case either -- nice!

4. chanterelle

chanterelle Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    This has happened to me a few times, too. I know that on some of those occasions, I have had the fob in my pocket. For some reason, the little black button doesn't work, but I can lock the car with the fob. The next time, the black button works again. And it seems to work fine for a month or so, then I have to use the fob again. Not sure what's up, or why it doesn't work all the time.

I have also used the button with the fob out of range, I think. Now you are making me wonder if I really did!!

But how do I lock the car from the inside, if I am outside? I thought that was impossible?

5. tntna

tntna New Member

First off, at the risk of being shot, I did say my WIFE told me this. :twisted: I didn't try it myself, so you might be right as well.

I'm not sure if the door lock button will work with the door open. I sort of assumed that it would. However, all the carsalespeople who tried to impress me in the past by telling me the door lock button wouldn't work unless the door was closed so you couldn't lock yourself out of the car were eyes wide opened when locked the doors using the button with the door open. The old trick was to make sure the door handle is pulled when the door lock button is pressed. Not sure if this still works or not as the last few cars have had FOBs.

6. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

I believe you can lock the car doors with the inside lock button with doors opened or absent fob, though I have to double check to be absolutely sure. With SKS, you can't keep the doors locked if the car detects the fob in the car, or even without SKS if the fob is in the slot.

Black button will give a long beep (complain) and not lock the doors if the fob is out of range of the door you are locking with the button.

7. chanterelle

chanterelle Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    From what I recall, there was no long complaining beep when I tried to lock the car with the black button. It was just silence, as if it ignored me. No flashing headlights to tell me it was locked, or anything else. Just nothing. I had to use the fob to lock the car.

I do know for a fact that the fob wasn't in the car, though!!

Good to know that I can use the lock on the inside as I am getting out to lock the car, though. In my last two cars, I was also able to use the trick to lift the car handle to lock the car door from the inside, as Thomas described. So you are saying I can just push the button, and not have to lift the door handle when the car door is open to lock the Prius?

8. kkister1492

kkister1492 New Member

My husband and I tried a few experiments with the FOB. I keep one in my purse so when we go someplace together he likes to drive but since I have a FOB already, he doesn't grab the second one. We have found that the black buttons don't work for the person without the FOB. A Snob FOB? He can lock the doors with the inside power lock and does that instead. We also found that I can unlock the door but unless I get into the car, he can't start it up. However, if after the car is running I get out of the car, it will still run. So he can drive off and leave me someplace but my Prius will give him a complaining couple of beeps.

9. tntna

tntna New Member

Yep I notifced that the car will stay in whatever mode its in when the FOB is removed from the car. That seems like a major bug to me. I tried it with a coworker. Told her I'd leave the radio on while I went in to the store for a quick second. Thought it would shut off when I got out of range. It didn't.

One thing I want to try if someone doesn't already know is, if you lock the doors with the switch on the armrest can you unlock it using the FOB? I would hope so.

10. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

I thought the same about the car not shutting down without the fob, as I was thinking of carjacking. However, Toyota designed the car with safety in mind, and it has several fail-safe modes. If the SKS were to fail (such as weak fob battery) while you are cruising down the highway, or even just stopped at the light, would you want the car to shut off?

Even with carjacking, once the car is shut off, it won't restart without the fob.

11. tntna

tntna New Member

Dan,

That's a valid point that I hadn't considered. I wouldn't care so much about it shutting down when I was at a light, but rather not have it shut down on the highway. :)

But I have a solution. Once the car is started, let it stay running. If driver door opens and FOB out of range/fob outside car, turn car off.

12. kkister1492

kkister1492 New Member

Yes, you can use the FOB to unlock the doors if you've used the power lock feature on the arm rest. However, if all the other doors are unlocked and you have a senior moment and don't remember unlocking them and just use the toggle on the handle to lock the driver's door, the FOB won't unlock the door. I have used the FOB, then, to unlock the door when I should have just used the black button to lock the car and then unlock as normal with the SKS. Wouldn't have had to go digging in my purse to find it. I've got to start paying more attention! Oh, you can lock your FOB in the car using the switch on the armrest, too.
    Don't ask!