1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Double check that the seat backs are latched when folding up

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by delrey, Jun 22, 2004.

1. delrey

delrey Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    This really applies to any car where the seat backs fold down, not just the Prius. But since this happened to me yesterday in my Prius, I'll post about it here. Be sure (especially if you have kids in the back) that your seats really are latched when you fold them back.

I was driving home yesterday on the freeway when my attention wandered a little (something odd in the road caught my eye). When I looked back (we're talking split seconds here) the car in front of my had stopped suddenly (there was an accident ahead), and I had to brake hard. Braking assist took over and stopped us RIGHT AWAY. Wow. But anyway, no harm, no foul. We continued home - everything seemed fine - until I had to break firmly again (no brake assist this time, but still an abrupt slowdown). My son started laughing and said, well, I'll just have to ride like this now ... I glanced back and saw that he was leaning forward and his seatback was tilted forward behind him. He couldn't snap it back himself, so we pulled over to fix it in the breakdown lane.

I don't know if I'm guilty of not fully engaging the latch, or if I'm guilty of letting my kid play in the car while not paying close attention to what he was doing in the back seat. Either way, can't hurt to double check now and then.

Reminds me of my old roommate's russian prayer, "Please God, Scare but don't Punish!". Stay alert when in slow traffic at the end of a long day, as well, if you want to avoid all my mistakes ;-)

2. inkydoo

inkydoo New Member

Just a quick ditto on this. We had the back seats down several times recently and a few times one or the other wouldn't latch quite right the first time and needed an extra push. Also, if you're prone to not paying much attention it's easy to raise the seats back up without realizing the seatbelts are behind them and blocking the latches.