1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Double Start when near or below 0°F

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by MNTech, Jan 5, 2014.

1. MNTech

MNTech Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Been noticing lately I've been having to do a double start with temps get real cold! By saying a double start, I have to press the power button twice in order for the engine to start. The first power on shows all the lights on the dash with an orange light on the button, second start-which is pressed immediately after the first-puts the car into ready mode and will start the gas engine. I've read this may be a the 12v battery going bad, but I don't believe this is the problem. I ONLY have to do a double start when temps get near or below 0°F. Out of curiosity, anybody know why this happens?

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Press HARD on the brake pedal while depressing the POWER button for a two-second interval, and see if this still remains an issue.

3. MNTech

MNTech Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'll give that a try Patrick, may have been too gentle with the brake. Tomorrow will be the coldest air I've ever started my Prius, with a high of -16°F, so this should put it through the test!

4. FreydNot

FreydNot Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If you can, verify that the brake lights are lighting up when you push the pedal.

5. MNTech

MNTech Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks Patrick, the problem was I wasn't holding the power button long enough. Went straight into ready mode once I held it for 2-3 seconds.

FreydNot- yes the lights come on