1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Doug DeMuro - 1997 Toyota Previa LE SC AWD

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by Tideland Prius, Apr 1, 2018.

1. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If you haven't watched a Doug video, it's kinda unique and he just covers the weird or interesting details of each car. (The BMW Z8 video is an interesting one).

They're getting rarer in my area but still a couple are kicking around.

RMB likes this.
  2. Surge58

Surge58 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It really looks weird.

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I saw one with collector plates. I guess they're old enough now lol.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  4. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I have photos on the old phone of a Pinto with collector plates.

5. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I almost bought Previa buck when we first looking for a seven seater. Ended up leasing Nissan Quest instead. Then moved on to Grand Caravan, then to Toyota minivan, but by that time it was Sienna.:D

6. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    A neighbor has one with vent shades and it’s a recognizeable blue:eek:.

Tideland Prius likes this.
  7. RMB

RMB Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Wow wow wow! This video brings back memories. There was a short time I had an experience with this Previa minivan, it was a LE S/C (RWD), AT, without leather.

I replaced the engine on this bad boy. Previously another guy replaced the head gasket on this supercharged minivan, the shop performed a warranty engine replacement for the customer. I actually had to do the R&R twice, because the first replacement engine was a bad engine.

The tranny and engine comes down together, there is an intermediate shaft that goes from the engine main pulley to the front of the vehicle to run an accessory pulley (for the radiator/AC condenser fan, AC compressor, and power steering). Engine harness is straight forward, you loosen all the connectors to the engine, couple clips, and you can swing it upward to let it rest in the driver footwell area, this step is done through the engine access cover, although space is kinda tight, but no difficulties. The customer let me drive it for a good 3 weeks before she picked up the van, it is so cool to drive, handles very well, visibility is superb. Power wise, even though it is the supercharge model, it is still somewhat under power, and gas mileage... horrible LOL I did a calculation and it was about 15 mpg.:ROFLMAO:

The guy in the video forgot to mention some interesting facts, like, on the passenger side of the dash there are 2 glove boxes, something you don't see often in the 90's. and then in the top middle of the dash where the mid section of the "W" shape, there is a huge service cover you can pop out to get to the OBD II connector. The battery sits at where the "driver side sliding door" supposed to be (edit: if I remember correctly LOL!).

This is a weird van with some interesting design indeed.

Tideland Prius and Raytheeagle like this.