1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Doug McIntyre: AN APOLOGY FROM A BUSH VOTER

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by IsrAmeriPrius, Jun 23, 2006.

1. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Excerpts:

2. SomervillePrius

SomervillePrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    An interesting and well written opinion piece.

I never believed in Bush and I do also believ he will be seen as one of the worst presidents ever.

That said what shames me even more is that the party I thought I could support is as corrupt, full of dillusion and partianship. I can't help but agree that I think we are in for a 2nd collapse of the system unless big changes in both parties occurs. We can no longer be a country controlled by fringe issues and partisanism, the problems we face are now (thanks in large part due to an undue war) to large.

But where do we find the leaders of tomorrow if they can't come from any of the established parties?

I still think the county would be better of with new leadership, mostly because the current one is doing worse and worse, not because the "democrats" offer any better solutions.

I wonder what the next 10 years will bring.

3. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Here it comes . . .

[​IMG]

4. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(IsrAmeriPrius @ Jun 23 2006, 11:32 AM) [snapback]275800[/snapback]</div>
    What flavor was the Kool-Aid?

5. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    "I believe, as I have said countless times, the two party system is on the brink of a second collapse. It’s currently running on spin, anger, revenge, and pots and pots and pots of money.

We’re being governed by paper-mache patriots; brightly painted red, white and blue, but hollow to the core. Both parties have mastered the cynical arts of media manipulation and fund raising. They’ve learned the lessons of Watergate and burn the tapes. They have learned to divide the nation for their own gain. They have demonstrated the willingness to exploit any tragedy for personal advantage. The contempt they have for the American people is without parallel.

This is painful to say, and I’m sure for many of you, painful to read. But it’s impossible to heal the country until we’re willing to acknowledge the truth no matter how painful. We have to wean ourselves off sugar coated partisan lies.

With a belated tip of the cap to Ralph Nader, the system is broken, so broken, it’s almost inevitable it pukes up the Al Gores and George W. Bushes. Where are the Trumans and the Eisenhowers? Where are the men and women of vision and accomplishment? Why do we have to settle for recycled hacks and malleable ciphers? Greatness is always rare, but is basic competence and simple honesty too much to ask?

I believe that George W. Bush has taken us down a terrible road. I don’t believe the Democrats are offering an alternative. That means we’re on our own to save this magnificent country. The United States of America is a gift to the world, but it has been badly abused and it’s rightful owners, We the People, had better step up to the plate and reclaim it before the damage becomes irreparable. "

So where do we go from here? Are enough people fed up to flock to a "centrist" party and create a viable third party? If the results of our recent local elections are any indication....no. Incumbants still won by landslides. No third party challenger created enough of a stir to get a mention. It's the same old same old. People may complain but they'll still vote for the home team no matter how corrupt or incompetant. And as long as election results continue to be same old same old, current politics will consider it a mandate to remain unchanged and conduct business as usual.

6. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Gee can he get his "liberal" card now?? :lol: :lol:

7. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusguy04 @ Jun 23 2006, 04:01 PM) [snapback]275963[/snapback]</div>
    As an American Jew, I find it ironic that so many American Jews are against the Iraq War or the War on Terror given Israel is by far the biggest benefactor of the entire undertaking.

Israel has never been better off than it is now. President Bush has been Israel's greatest friend since Nixon ordered war supplies to be sent to Israel from the US and NATO during the Yom Kippur War. I would also posit President Bush has been good to the "Middle East Arabs" too.

1. Syria out of Lebanon - ending a 3 decade old occupation
    2. Free elections in the Palistinian Terrortories
    3. Taliban gone in Afghanistan
    4. Free elections in Kuwait next week
    5. Libya gave up 44 tons of WMD's and centrifuges and entered the "civilized" world
    6. Gaza Strip back to the Palestinians

Just to mention a few things that have happened because of President Bush.

8. JackDodge

JackDodge Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Jun 23 2006, 04:24 PM) [snapback]275968[/snapback]</div>
    Yes, people who love war generally can't understand dislike for war. The first bush found an enormous popularity when he started a war, not to mention a great deal of profit so it's entirely understandable that the second bush would get very popular and make his family a great deal of profit by starting an even more ambitious war. Unfortunately, a great many Americans love a good war; they see it as a hockey game because they're not close enough to it to see people getting blown apart.

9. imntacrook

imntacrook New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JackDodge @ Jun 23 2006, 04:50 PM) [snapback]275982[/snapback]</div>
    Some posts are so out of touch they don't deserve a sincere answer.

10. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JackDodge @ Jun 23 2006, 01:50 PM) [snapback]275982[/snapback]</div>
    This kind of cynicism and elitist atitude regarding America and American's in general is why the left keeps losing elections.

Wildkow

11. grasshopper

grasshopper Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(imntacrook @ Jun 23 2006, 05:50 PM) [snapback]276009[/snapback]</div>

The question is, which one of you is out of touch???

12. IsrAmeriPrius

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Jun 23 2006, 01:24 PM) [snapback]275968[/snapback]</div>
    Iraq and Iran were mortal enemies. As long as they watched out against each other, neither posed a serious threat to Israel (Saddam's Scuds were only annoying irritations). With the removal of Saddam from power and replacing him with an Iranian friendly Shiite regime, the delicate equilibrium in the region was upset. Now Iran can dedicate the resources it used to defend itself against Iraq to develop nuclear weapons and long range missiles which present a real threat to the security of the State of Israel. Have you read any of the Iranian president diatribes that Israel has no right to exist?

Which resulted in a terrorist organization - Hamas - put in power.

Where is Osama?

For which I give credit to Ariel Sharon and Ehud Olmert, not G. W. Bush.

13. Subversive

Subversive New Member

I can't speak to all of these, but:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Jun 23 2006, 04:24 PM) [snapback]275968[/snapback]</div>
    The elections in Palestine weren't exactly "free." They have pretty much the same deal we give many other fledgling democracies: "if you want to eat, you are 'free' to vote for who we tell you to, and if you don't we might decide to shoot you."

The Taliban are back in Afghanistan. As are the warlords. They came back as soon as our troops left Afghanistan to invade and subsequently occupy Iraq.

The "return" of the Gaza Strip to the Palestinian people was more the product of their "terrorism" than it was the product of their diplomacy.

14. Swampthing

Swampthing Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(IsrAmeriPrius @ Jun 23 2006, 11:32 AM) [snapback]275800[/snapback]</div>
    The world looks different when the Partisan Shades come off, doesn't it? I only hope that many more "blind followers" of any party are able to finally see the light when such incredulous behavior comes from their candidate of choice...

15. genalex

genalex Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Jun 23 2006, 02:07 PM) [snapback]275904[/snapback]</div>
    The root of all evil is the money that is spent on media mudslinging.

To restore election campaigns to rational contests based on the issues, we need genuine campaign finance reform. I vainly vote for this when I opt to have $3 of my income tax go to campaign financing, but of course this is a whisper in a whirlwind. The real money is contributed by special interests that can make it count.

Note that every time campaign finance reform is debated in Congress both parties take turns in emasculating any plan that might really work and they pass, instead, some lame lip-service act that doesn't change a thing. And what we get is this wonderful world of lobbying, where the big contributors get to buy whatever legislative actions benefit them.

Until this changes, we will never have a true democracy.

16. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(IsrAmeriPrius @ Jun 23 2006, 04:14 PM) [snapback]276049[/snapback]</div>
    What an incredibility crass statement. Why don't you ask the Israeli and American families who lost loved ones to Saddam's Scud's how annoying it is? Oh, and while you are at it ask the scores and scores of Israeli and Americans how annoying it is to have limbs blown off, sight lost, home destroyed etc. etc. etc. from Saddam's annoying Scud's.

Your some piece of work. :angry:

Wildkow

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Subversive @ Jun 23 2006, 04:33 PM) [snapback]276060[/snapback]</div>
    What a moronic statement. :wacko:

17. SSimon

SSimon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    i have a question........why do people continue to support the war in iraq when the actual cause for this war was nullified? i can understand supporting our troops while they're there and i can understand supporting our continued military involvement at this point, but what i cannot get beyond why people continue to support the war. i'm not debating whether good or bad is going to be the end product either. so don't start on that topic, please. i want to know how one can support something so passionately for which the actual cause was never realized.

18. IsrAmeriPrius

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Wildkow @ Jun 23 2006, 06:06 PM) [snapback]276090[/snapback]</div>
    When will you finally wise up and stop flaunting your ignorance?

Exactly one Israeli was killed by the forty or so Scuds that Iraq launched at Israel during the first Gulf war (Wikipedia®, BBC News, Jerusalem Center for Public Affairs). For Israel the Scuds were an annoying irritation as opposed to a real security threat capable of causing massive civilian casualties. Yes, it was tragic for the person who died and their loved ones. However, that must be put in perspective and compared to the danger that Israel faces from the real WMD (nuclear weapons and long range missiles) that Iran is presently developing (with North Korea's help) now that it does not have to worry about defending itself against Saddam. Tens, if not hundreds, of thousands will perish if Israel is ever successfully attacked by the madmen of Tehran with those weapons. It will be quite a logistical challenge for Israel to mount a successful preemptive strike against Iran.

The Israelis were quite capable of defending themselves against Iraq. Remember how Israel destroyed Iraq nuclear reactor in 1981? In 1991, Israel did not use it own armed forces to defend itself from the Iraq attacks during the first Gulf War due to pressure put on them by the Americans who feared the breakup of the coalition had the Israelis entered the fray.

It was a different story in 2003. Israeli special forces operated in the Iraqi Western Desert to search for and destroy any weapons that could be fired at Israel. In addition, Israel's defense mechanism against surface-to-surface missiles was greatly improved between the 1991 Gulf War and the 2003 invasion of Iraq and Israel was capable of intercepting Iraq's Scud missiles by then. By the way, no Scuds fired at Israel during the second Gulf War and none were found in the massive search for WMDs that followed the invasion.

19. genalex

genalex Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius

20. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(IsrAmeriPrius @ Jun 23 2006, 10:25 PM) [snapback]276203[/snapback]</div>
    In Tel Aviv 3 others died from the effects of a Scud blast, scores were injured and 29 Americans were also killed from another. Not to mention the scores of wounded and the economic damage.

My opinion of your statement above is to go say that to the face of the family of those soldiers and civilians that were killed, injured or lost there homes and belongings.

Their opinion of you will probably look something like this . . . [attachmentid=3901]

Wild[attachmentid=3902]kow

p.s. Oh! Look here what does your own source say concerning the Scud missiles??? Annoying? Not quite. . .

"the property damage when the missiles landed in populated areas was quite significant. Thus, despite their inaccuracy, the missiles proved to be reasonably effective. "

Best to keep your mouth shut and thought a fool than it is to open it and remove all doubt thus confirming your [attachmentid=3903] dodo status. . .