1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

DPST Switch for Overrides

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by mgundel, Oct 7, 2006.

1. mgundel

mgundel Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Hi all,

I've looked but cannot fond a source for a small push button on/off DPST switch to use for overriding the NAV and BT lockout. Does anyone here have a source? I want to mount it inside the compartment below the radio so it would need to be small, 1/4" or so.

TIA!

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    don't know about push-button type, but rocker types are readily available at Radio Shack.

3. TheForce

TheForce Stop War! Lets Rave! Make Love!

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You can get them but I dont know good source for them.

I was looking at the wiring diagram and cant you just cut the main speed sensor wire to disable all 3 of the lockouts? Unless i'm missing something all that happens is the main wire just gets split into 3 wires. It would be easier to just tap into that one wire wouldnt it? I've been thinking about doing this one wire one button mod if that main wire isnt important to the function of the car.

4. mgundel

mgundel Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(theforce @ Oct 7 2006, 07:57 PM) [snapback]329596[/snapback]</div>
    One wire one switch would be a great solution. I was basing the two wire cut on other posts that describe splicing in to the two purple wires next to the glove box. If there is a single "master" signal, I'll chop it open happily.

5. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Martin Gundel @ Oct 7 2006, 07:05 PM) [snapback]329598[/snapback]</div>
    I'd be careful about that...does one go to your speedometer? Does one go to the HV ECU? You may encounter problems you don't want.

I strongly suggest sticking w/ the simple, easy to access 2 wire solution behind the vent. That way you can just use the one for the system you wish to access without causing issues w/ anything else.

6. Cheap!

Cheap! New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Martin Gundel @ Oct 7 2006, 06:31 PM) [snapback]329585[/snapback]</div>
    I ended up just using magnetic switches mounted behind the dash. Got them from radioshack, as they are used for home alarm systems in the windows. Now when I want to override I just place a magnet in the correct place on my dash and it activates. No fuss, no mess, and no one knows where they are located. B)

However I only know about the BT, and Nav overrides I did not know there was another.

7. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I use sub-mini toggles. I've never seen a small pushbutton on/off DPDT before.

8. Alnilam

Alnilam The One in the Middle

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Cheap! @ Oct 7 2006, 08:00 PM) [snapback]329651[/snapback]</div>
    I think I want to do this. Do you have to hold the magnet the whole time you are using the touchscreen? This would require two hands and doesn't sound very safe if a driver ever gets tempted to use it when flying solo.

Anybody got the Radio Shack part # or is their supply of magnetic switches pretty small?

I just ordered the DICE unit and will have to do some disassembling to install that. Might be a good time to put the switch in too.

9. walt

walt New Member

Bel Air, MD, USA -=- Blair, Merlin, Merka
    Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Alnilam @ Oct 8 2006, 03:43 PM) [snapback]329794[/snapback]</div>
    go to http://www.radioshack.com/

enter magnetic switch in the search box

or, if you want a manual switch, enter dpdt switch in the search box

10. Alnilam

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(walt @ Oct 8 2006, 01:04 PM) [snapback]329797[/snapback]</div>
    I'm looking at 49-532, a Normally-Closed Magnetic Switch ($4.97.)

This the ticket? If so, my first question is answered. The magnet holds in position against the second interior switch-magnet while the MFD is being used.

Thanks.

11. Alnilam

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Alnilam @ Oct 8 2006, 02:21 PM) [snapback]329816[/snapback]</div>
    To answer myself:

No, it is 49-533 I discovered at the store. You need to get the one that is Normally Open. Normal, to the Radio Shack folks, means the magnets are together and the switch opens. Remove your "key" magnet and it closes. The switch is designed for window alarms.

12. Cheap!

Cheap! New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Alnilam @ Oct 8 2006, 08:43 PM) [snapback]329878[/snapback]</div>
    Sorry, I have been away this weekend. You want the "Normally closed" switch as the purple wires you will cut are normally on a closed circuit. When you open the circuit the computer thinks the car has stopped. I made the mistake of buying two switches and not looking at the packs. I ended up with one of each and I couldn't figure out what was going on at first. Then I mounted the switches under the glove box. You can access that area when you remove the vent panel to the right of the MFD.

Here is the best piece of advice I can give you for the whole project. “Cut one purple wire low leaving you enough room to solder a length of wire to each side and use one color for this. Then and only then cut the second purple wire high leaving you enough room to solder a length of wire to each side using a different color wire this time." This way you won't be confused of what wire hooks to what wire.

I have pictures of how I did this, however the credit goes to other priuschat members. I took ideas from person A, also ideas from person B, and came up with my own solution. At first I was going to put cut holes below the black panel, below the radio. However, I did not look forward to scaring my baby.

In my pictures I have a metal plate to hold the magnet in place against the side of the glove box. However, that shortly fell and I just mounted the under the glove box (no picture) and the magnet just sits flat on the floor of the glove box and it works just fine. I was able to change from my wife’s phone and dial a number today while I was on the road. Guess what. It was safer then trying to reach behind me into my briefcase, fish out the phone, dial, and hold it to my ear. Way safer.

Now the metal is gone and the two switches are near each other under the glove box, but far apart so I can only operate the one I want by where I put the magnet.
    [attachmentid=5220]

Now you see it. ( The magnet sits flat when it is working now. )
    [attachmentid=5221]

Now you don't.
    [attachmentid=5222]

Attached Files:

13. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I know of one person who put a magnet on the cover of the compartment under the radio; so opening the compartment turns it off. Another put the magnetic switches on the A/C vent cover itself and has a refrigerator magnet over the spot. Removing the magnet turns it off.

I use a small push-on/push-off button for the BT override, which I got at Fry's Electronics. It's not a DPDT, though.

14. Alnilam

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    A little semantic problem here:

Radio Shack lists part #49-533 as a Normally Open switch. But on the package it says, "Switch open with magnet engaged." This is what you want. For the purpose of window alarms, "Normally" the window is shut and the magnet is engaged. The circuit is open. When you open the window, the switch closes and the alarm goes off. Our emphasis is the opposite.

If I'm lying, I'm dying!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Cheap! @ Oct 8 2006, 07:32 PM) [snapback]329900[/snapback]</div>
    I am having a hard time identifying the pictures and figuring out what is going on. To activate the switch do you use the Radio Shack magnet or your own?

"Now the metal is gone and the two switches are near each other under the glove box, but far apart so I can only operate the one I want by where I put the magnet"

I don't know what this means. Sorry for being so dense.

15. Cheap!

Cheap! New Member

I hope this helps. Yes I bought a larger and stronger magnet for this application. I think it cost me a $1.18.
    [attachmentid=5223]

Attached Files:

16. Alnilam

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Thank you for the new drawings.

I'm confused about something. I thought that cutting the purple wire gave you access to both the BT phone AND Nav systems while in motion. Why do you have two separate switches, one for each? Wouldn't a single switch do the job?

Again, thanks!

17. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Alnilam @ Oct 9 2006, 09:42 AM) [snapback]330065[/snapback]</div>
    There are two speed sensor wires, one for the NAV and one for the BT. Take a look at http://www.evnut.com/prius_speed_wire.htm (scroll to the bottom) to see them.

18. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    **slightly off topic**
    magnetic switches are sweet... I've got a good friend who had his car stolen a few years back... when the police recovered it, he decided to make it "theft proof" and stuck a magnetic switch with a small timing mechanism (to keep it active 30 seconds after being activated) in the ignition path, so you have to slide the magnet on his dash before starting the car.

As it so happens, he took it out about a year later for 2 days to afix it permanently (solder the connections, etc), and during those two days the car was stolen again!

Then last year during the winter our back door had a horrible habbit of blowing open in the middle of the night. A few magnetic switches, a speaker, and a little timing circuitry caused a nice alarm to go off every time that happened, saved us a boat load in heating bills.

**back on topic**

I really like how you did the magnetic switches, it makes things look pretty slick. I opted to just put a DPDT switch in one of the slots to the left of the steering wheel for the functions, which also works nicely (i also added the anytime reverse camera mod on a button next to it, just for fun)

19. Cheap!

Cheap! New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eagle33199 @ Oct 9 2006, 01:20 PM) [snapback]330120[/snapback]</div>
    I am using the far left switch for my anytime camera mod and I am about to move the EV switch from the flasher to the dash for two reasons. One, I am tired of halving to flash people at night when I want to go into EV. Two, I am waiting for my EV button from Sigma for a permanent install. That being said, I am glad for the magnetic switches since I am running out of official button slots. :D

20. glenk

glenk Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    www.mouser.com is a very good place for onesies-twosies orders for components. They don't have a minimum order surcharges as well.

A push button switch with this kind of operation is called a push-on push-off type switch.

Mouser switch link