1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Dr. Prius acceleration test

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by pasadena_commut, Jan 8, 2023.

1. pasadena_commut

pasadena_commut Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yesterday the Dr. Prius tests were run on our 2007. It came out as 50% capacity, no error codes, and in generally good health. The modules were all pretty close in voltage and the IRs were within 0.1 of each other. (Those values wander around a lot but that description always held.) Not bad for a 14 or 15 year old pack. However, running the acceleration test gave some problems. The first time it said that module 5 was out of balance in the Low Voltage test. Ran it again, it said that 3 other modules were out of balance in the Low Voltage test. Ran it a third time, and all the modules were fine, but it said the battery was too hot. (Not surprising since it had just done 3 hard accelerations and stops with only a few seconds between them.) I think the fan is still working OK, but cannot test it at the moment since my techstream PC broke (literally, at the hinges) and I have not had a chance to replace it yet.

So what does the Low Voltage test measure in that acceleration test, and why would different modules be out of balance in different runs?

2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Electrics are funny like that like you say it's a 14 15-year-old pack heading towards 20 years old maybe it's getting that time It wasn't mine fell flat on its face had to get a new one and I mean new not rebuilt so I'm hoping for another 13 or so years probably just the nature of the beast The battery thing is what everybody's talking about now on every site in the world with all these electric cars coming online $20,000 batteries complete cars being burnt and dropped off cliffs and everything else because of what battery costs battery replacement cost battery replacement cost that were not thought of by the overzealous new owner etc gas does seem pretty cheap when we're looking at $7,000 up battery prices

3. pasadena_commut

pasadena_commut Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Gas and other petroleum products are only (relatively) cheap at the moment because the costs of their externalities are not included in the sale price. Without going into the politics of what fixing that would entail, the current situation is like saying "why pay to install a septic tank when our house's sewage can continue to run through the existing outlet pipe which empties into my neighbor's back yard"? The main difference is that in this analogy it is immediately apparent who is causing all the damage, whereas with carbon emissions it is not so cut and dried. So not "Bob dried up the Mississippi last month" or "Bob caused a drought in central America", but rather "Bob's emissions contributed one billionth to the problem (and so did a billion other people out of the >7 billion people on the planet)".

4. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I have had (different) modules show weak during that test. After enough times I stopped using it because it gave me no meaningful data.

I think that each data sample does not accurately show voltage levels at that exact moment in time, and Dr Prius may not take that into account.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.