1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Dr Prius and the Gen4 Prime (bad news)

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by sylvaing, Mar 14, 2024.

1. sylvaing

sylvaing Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    So I sent [email protected] the following question

Subject: Life Expectancy test of a 2017 Prius Prime

Is the Life Expectancy test compatible with a 2017 Prius Prime? The Prime's battery is much bigger than the one in a regular Prius.

This is the replied they sent :(

Hi Sylvain,

I don’t think Dr. Prius App is fully calibrated for the 2017 Prime yet, we only have a chance to work on the Gen1 plug-in Prius, we need to find a test car and calibrate it, FYI.

Jack

2. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I worked on a 2017 Prius plugin once and the basic data from Dr. Prius app worked fine... Never tried the life expectancy test with it though because there's better ways to monitor battery health than paying extra for that feature. Keep in mind a plugin Prius battery lifespan is alot different than a standard hybrid battery lifespan, especially when the vehicle is only a 1/2 dozen years old.

3. Andy2

Andy2 Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Technology
    PriusCamper, are you able to describe the ways in which the 2017 traction battery lifespan is a lot different than a standard hybrid battery lifespan? I’m interested in this issue.

4. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It's a way bigger battery with way more modules... Using the engine & inverter to discharge & recharge a standard 1.3 kilowatt-hour battery pack is easy. But when you boost that number up to 8.8 kilowatt-hours you aren't going to get much meaningful data using the engine & inverter on the pack without driving it a significant distance and Jack avoids making any major changes to his app now that it works so well.

5. sylvaing

sylvaing Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Can you expand on that please?

6. Andy2

Andy2 Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Technology
    So are you saying that the assessment of the two batteries is different or the actual longevity?

7. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes, both... Also the method used to test a 1.3KW battery is not going to be very accurate for an 8.8KW pack.

8. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Keeping track of MPG is a good way... But the main number on Dr. Prius app that matters is "Voltage Diff." As the battery gets older and loses capacity and balance that number goes up. The high that number goes the shorter your packs lifespan. Though that's more specific to NiMH chemistry than Lithium chemistry.

Scarface2005 likes this.
  9. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I was able to get the life expectancy test completed once, but it's not something I'd do again unless I needed to explain exactly how it can be completed to someone else. It's results are what they are because of how the test must "currently" be done to complete the test, as Jack mentioned in the DrPrius support email.

Basically, it's a very customized set of it's own chicken dance. It only measures the very bottom of the traction pack and when figured out it only takes a few minutes to complete instead of the 10 minutes or more for supported models. Plus the Prime shoots and error message to the MID about the foot on the Go Pedal and Brake Pedal at the same time in the middle while charging the battery for the test. The Prime also limits the engine rev range while the Go Pedal in to the floor and foot is on the brake.

Run the traction pack down to 1 or 2 miles of EV range left before starting the test.
    Start the test.
    Run in EV mode until it runs out.
    To complete the charge section of the test "I've had to switch to charge mode" and the test finishes this section within a few minutes.
    The discharge part of the test is where the error message shows on the MID
    Put your feet on the Brake and Go Pedals, floor the Go Pedal and watch the DrPrius app to get the dial indicator into the green area with the needle at 12 O clock high or even 1 PM if possible.
    I also needed to turn on everything I could think of, to get the indicator steadily in the green.
    One I had the indicator in the green it only took a another few minutes to complete to test and give me the results for the part of the traction p;ack the test actually test ran on. My results were 56%, be that what it may.

To run the DrPrius Full Battery Test the pack temps need to be above 77 F / 25 C I've only started the test a few times over the years, but every time I try the test my pack has never been warm enough and the DrPrius app errors out of the test.
    When my pack is 25 C or above, I've always wanted to use as much of the pack as efficiently as I know how to bring my Estimated EV miles as high as I can get it, because the other driver of the car brings it down every time. lol

#9 vvillovv, Mar 16, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2024
  10. sylvaing

sylvaing Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I got it to complete too, but for a 6 years old car with 135,000 km, it gave me a battery score of 101% lol. I'm not trusting its result.

Screenshot_20230725-141235~2.png

11. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Unless you figured out a way to get the test to measure anything besides the bottom ( 5% "guessing") of the pack capacity, ir looks to me like the bottom of your pack is in pretty good condition. What's the internal resistance look like when your down below 10 or even 5% SOC?
    For sure, the test isn't looking at the Primes full pack. so there's nothing really to trust or mistrust, the test isn't made to evaluate the Prime pack, it might work on a Gen 4 Prius, but that eval will probably be off too.

see the stats at the bottom of the screenshot above.

#11 vvillovv, Mar 16, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2024
  12. sylvaing

sylvaing Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Thanks, I'll check next time I'm almost running out of charge.

13. sylvaing

sylvaing Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I think the vLinker MC+ has issue reading the internal resistance as recording the data only recorded a bunch of '1' for that field. I'll try later with my OBDLink LX. However, since the other fields seem to have valid data, here they are plotted for a SoC of 82% down to 42% (I haven't had a chance to run it to 15% (0% EV) yet.

upload_2024-3-18_19-22-12.png

The jagged light green line is actually all the 94 battery modules stacked one over the other (that's why you see some other colors blending at its edge). It's the only line using the scale on the left. The dark green line is the modules maximum voltage difference in mV at each sample interval. The blue line is the speed I was going at that sample and the orange line is its SoC.

The maximum voltage difference between the modules at any given time was 24.4 mV with an average of 11.6 mV. That maximum difference was at 4:38:01 PM and the modules voltage average for that time sample was 3.49V (a min of 3.4724V and a max of 3.4968V), giving a percentage difference of just 0.7%. The highest differences happened when I accelerated.

Does it look good or bad? I don't know, but that's the data I got :)

14. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    0.0244 voltage difference seem oddly low for the highest number. I'm doubting the accuracy of that particular data point. It should be higher than that?

15. sylvaing

sylvaing Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    This is the raw data imported from a CSV into an Excel spreadsheet if you want to take a look
    To see what's the accuracy of the car's battery monitor analog to digital converter, I took a few sample lines, transposed them vertically, sorted from smallest to highest and calculated the difference between each jump in value. That difference was either 1.1 mV, 1.2 mV or 1.3 mV.

Attached Files:

#15 sylvaing, Mar 18, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2024
  16. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Lol... Why use mv? That's not a standard on here, nor anywhere else when it comes to HV batteries.

Additionally, I don't associate with proprietary Microsoft files... I'd be happy to take a look if you make it available on Google spreadsheet or Dr. Prius app screenshot?

And maybe tell me again why Dr. Prius screenshots of "voltage diff" aren't available to you? Seems like an easy request to fullfill?

17. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    speed is kmh? The graph looks ok to me, after I zoomin far enough to read the scales and see the color bleed. But I don't really care if the readings the app show or the readings the cars gauges show are dead on balls accurate. I get a base line of data that I use to compare.. I keep track of the highs and lows. As I become more familiar with the range I start to fill in between the highs and lows.
    The reason I say the graph looks OK to me, is I'm extrapolating from the DrPrius screenshots I've posted to different threads here in the past. AndI realize that internal resistance on a well maintained Prime pack can stay at a very minimal state most of the time, and when it starts to go vonkie and the graph scatters around there is usually a good reason for it. That is what I look for. ie; What was going on when the interenal resistance graph started to deviate from it's normal state.

Just to be clear, posting what is seen as internal resistance at a different time than when you ran the test, will not reveal much about the internal resistance at the time the test was run. It (internal resistance) at the time ofthe test could be that same, somewhat or wildly different at another time, It might not matter, but we would not know for sure.

18. sylvaing

sylvaing Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Because 11.3 mV was easier to read in the spreadsheet and scale in the graph than 0.0113V. We're looking at cell's voltage here, not the whole pack. I agree that mV when talking hundreds of volt is meaningless, but not when talking a few volts with a precision of one millivolt.

A Google spreadsheet has way more limitations than a full blown Excel spreadsheet and Dr. Prius screenshot shows only a point in time. Beside, they have told me they haven't tested their "Life expectancy test" with a Prime so I decided to read the data raw and plotted it to a have a look at how the cells behaved under load. I have never seen this being talked about here, at least, not recently.

19. sylvaing

sylvaing Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Yes, speed is in km/h.

The raw data only showed "1” for the internal resistance of every module for every data sample, hence why I think my vLinker might not read that field correctly (or at all). I'll try another read with my OBDLink and see if I get the same result.

But from why I got from the modules' voltage, the modules seem to all follow the same trend of charging and discharging with no huge variations between the modules. That's reassuring.

vvillovv likes this.
  20. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    My point is typical max voltage difference in a healthy Prius is in 1/10th to 1/100th of volts, not 1/1000th range. Thus, those numbers are wrong and tell you nothing.

The primary screen on Dr. Prius app can give you "voltage diff" numbers in real time as you drive in real life and if you want to know the lifespan on your pack, pay attention to that, not your proprietary MS spreadsheet.