1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Dr.prius and why the battery won't charge

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Mayapie88, Jun 12, 2024.

1. Mayapie88

Mayapie88 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    So basically I belive cells 8 and 9 are bad but I'm confused as to why this would keep the battery from charging or if that's a totally different issue and if so what it could be. The first photo is it on ready and the second is while it's on. Can't reverse it ethire because I've been told it reverses with the hv battery. So do can I just replace cells 8 and 9 or is there something wrong with the electric motor?

Attached Files:

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    the only way to know is with a prius aware scanner like the autel 200 which provides codes and sub codes for the entire car.
    the battery modules work in concert, and when one falls outside the set parameters, you usually get quick charging/discharging constantly.

3. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    what @bisco said I'm not following what you were told about the reversal thing. There is a thing called cell reversal when a module is really bad. (8 or 9) is low really low. Just as easily could be (8 and 9)
    are really low.

4. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    The HV system won't work correctly because the design engineers decided that a failed battery can't provide or accept full power safely.

There are many many posts about replacing High Voltage battery modules. Modules degrade slowly with age and use. As long as they degrade evenly then there's "no problems".

The battery is made up of 28 modules. They are monitored by the battery ecu as pairs - so 14 blocks total. If the voltage of any block is "too different" for "too long", the ecu sets codes.

"Just" replacing any bad modules can work (maybe for a few months), it just seems to be very rare. Usually the replacement modules are different enough under load that the ecu sets more codes.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.