1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Dr Prius for Prius C

Discussion in 'Prius c Main Forum' started by moonflower053, Jan 6, 2024.

1. moonflower053

moonflower053 New Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

I tested a Prius C 2015 130k miles today. As I'm totally new to Prius, I didn't (know/have time) to buy the paid version of Dr Prius before testing so I couldn't run the test.
    Here are some screenshots when running the free version
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Can these photos say anything the status of the battery?

I didn't see any error code in DrPrius (likely I don't know where to look for or it's only in the paid version :( ) soI tried with another app suggested by OBD seller: CarScanner and got this but not sure about how bad these codes are. The TPMS ones can be ignored though.
    Could you please opine? Thanks!

[​IMG]

#1 moonflower053, Jan 6, 2024
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2024
    2017Prius likes this.
  2. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I'm not used to using an app to pick cars, but the data suggests that there isn't a problem with that battery right now.

Toyota builds the c battery to last 8-12 years. That one ought to drive great with those scores, but you'd want to establish your battery replacement plan right away so it doesn't catch you unprepared.

Good luck!

2017Prius and moonflower053 like this.
  3. moonflower053

moonflower053 New Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you, how about the error code? There seems quite a few…

2017Prius likes this.
  4. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Looks like quite a few, yes. But none have associated "P" codes registered. Usually when something is serious enough to really matter, the computer stores a "P" code that really just means "hey get in here and read these others." Usually it will also illuminate the check-engine lamp.

I haven't monitored our car with a tool sensitive to "U" codes, so I couldn't tell you if the ones you found are the normal pattern of "log file litter," or something accidentally left over (not cleared) during a previous repair or if it is evidence of a new problem.

Have you test-driven this car? it would be essentially inoperable if the ECU couldn't communicate with major subsystems as a current or persistent condition. Not the sort of thing you'd miss on a spin around the block.

2017Prius, vvillovv and moonflower053 like this.
  5. moonflower053

moonflower053 New Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, I drove it and it run ok except I heard some squealing sounds when I run it at low speed.

2017Prius likes this.
  6. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I can't account for what you heard, but if you aren't used to hybrids everything about them sounds strange.

7. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    One way of monitoring dtc codes is after documenting and searching out their meaning (search terms I use are " toyota dtc 'error code #' ) .
    If either the free version of DrPrius or Car Scanner allows you to clean dtc codes, you can do that, than monitor to see if and when any of the cleared codes come back. If none do there are reasons why that are beyond the scope of this post. But if dtc codes do reappear, posting the descriptions for what you have done and what you are seeing now should give everyone reading this thread a heads up about your questions.

8. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I hesitated to comment on the DrPrius screenshots mainly because I'm not familiar with the C s normal voltage range and not being sure if 165 volts is normal or high, which could explain a lot more about the screenshots you posted. But if 165 volts is within the C s normal voltage range than all the screenshots look good, extremely good. But they are all at nearly identical SOC of 52% SOC. And a much better way to gauge how good the battery is is by getting screen shots that show data when the C charge bars are at their highest and lowest, to be able to check the battery health.

9. moonflower053

moonflower053 New Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you all, I bought it and for now it drives well. I noticed the usb port doesn’t work. Do you know if there is a fuse for that?

10. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    If your 2015 is like our 2018 the USB port is part of the stereo, electrically speaking, and gets its power (and fuse protection) there. The USB socket just has a little pigtail wire off the back that plugs into the back of the stereo.

If it doesn't work.... Congratulations!

Now you have a great excuse to install a modern head unit. The Prius c is one of those rare cars that can fit an enormous variety of aftermarket systems, and it's easy to do.

Ours was 4 days out of the showroom when I installed a nice Sony that can do CarPlay and Android Auto. Haven't looked back.

11. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    One other thing about the DrPrius screenshots I didn't comment on are the 3 battery temp readings. Those temps of high 80 low 90's are normal during summer up north. So if you took those shots recently I say that those temps are quite high unless the car had been driven for at least an hour or two and you had the heater on.. There are always lots of variables, some more obvious and others a lot less..

12. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Good excuse to check/clean the battery cooling fan under the left rear seat.

There are youtubes covering how to thoroughly clean it with a screwdriver and a vacuum cleaner.

13. 2017Prius

2017Prius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    This was a great post to read. Thanks for everyone's input.

I'm researching the Prius c because I may be buying one in the next few days. Can ya tell me a little more about Dr Prius and/or Car Scanner? What's the best to run to check the hybrid battery's health?

I'm looking at a 2014 Prius c Four w/ 58k miles. Super nice condition. Paint finish looks new. It's had just one owner who kept it very clean inside & out. Regular 5k mile maintenance w/records. No accidents. Steering is still super tight & responsive.

I test drove it for about 40 minutes. 20 mins on the interstate got 48 mpg. 20 mins on city streets & county roads got 54 mpg. I know it's 10 yrs old but it seriously looks excellent, drives great & was driven <6k mi per year.

Ya think it would be a reliable daily for a few years? I had a 2012 Prius Plug-in from 175k til 306k & a 2017 Three Touring from 48k til 130k when it was totaled in Feb. Nothing but regular maintenance, brakes, tires & one wheel bearing on the combined 213k miles so I'm sold on the Prius’ reliability. All the car review sites give the Prius c nearly as good reliability scores,

Thanks for any help!

14. 2017Prius

2017Prius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Thanks for this heads up! That's the first thing I noticed in the 2014 Prius c Four I'm looking at. No Apple Car Play or Backup camera. But, ya say it's easy to find replacements?

15. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I'm saying it has a space in the dash that can accept a generic double-DIN aftermarket deck with ease and grace. It's really hard to do in some modern cars and impossible in others. But the Prius c is about as easy as it gets for that type of replacement.

That is not the same as a plug-n-play finished unit designed to precisely fit the car. Those are a relatively new phenomenon, and they don't exist for every possible target application. I can't speak for them in the Prius context.

16. 2017Prius

2017Prius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Perfect. that's what I thought ya said. thanks.