1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Dr Prius instructions

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by ronlewis, Aug 28, 2023.

1. ronlewis

ronlewis Active Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    One
    What can this app diagnose on Gen1? What do all the datapoints mean? Has anyone written a review or user's guide. I watch the bars going up and down and see the various data, but have no idea what the baselines should be or what they should read if operating properly. Did they ever make it work with Gen1 to test battery life?

2. ronlewis

ronlewis Active Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    One
    BTW, I did get it to connect to a couple of my Prii through the BAFX bluetooth device - it just takes a lot longer than it does connecting to my Ford trucks. I'm not sure if I paid for this app or if it was a free download. Are there paid features for Gen1?

3. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Can you borrow TIS from somebody local to you I bought a TIS computer from a dealership that went out of business and I've been using it for a couple of years I wouldn't say it's the fastest thing on the planet to connect to the car but I don't know I don't think TIS software has been rewritten enough to get into the high speed realm yet I don't think anybody really cares in that regard at least the manufacturer of the software and the Toyota dealer doesn't seem like they're looking for super speed instantaneous stuff on the screen practically when you let go of the plug plugging it in doesn't seem like that's what they've been working towards Not sure why but oh well generally when I hook TIS up. By the time I get done with the clicking and the fooling around it's been about I don't know 40 seconds and I'm running a health check. I have noticed my wife has some of these Bluetooth things that go to her OBD port and they seem to be a lot slower than that 40 seconds in TIS. I've never been able to get hold of a generation one long enough to get TIS plugged up and look at anything but I'm assuming generation one and two should be pretty similar as far as this type of software goes. But yes interpreting all this stuff is kind of fun at best.

4. ronlewis

ronlewis Active Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    One
    I bought a TIS clone and the dongle, but didn't have an XP computer at the time and am not a techy person to try to run a partition, etc.

I gave it to my son for his Gen1, but I'm not sure he's ever installed it either. Just wondering what this Dr. Prius app does, if anything, for Gen1.

5. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Just to keep things clear, TIS (technical information service) is the name of a web site you can sign into for repair manuals and service bulletins and stuff.

Techstream is the name of the software that can talk to the car.

6. ronlewis

ronlewis Active Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Oops, thanks, Chap. He confused me too. Yeah, the website won't help.

7. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I guess Toyota must own TIS on my text stream software it's an upside down! T i s/tech stream so I was just thinking TIS would be a short abbreviation for Toyota information systems or something along those lines Not sure about the website business

8. ronlewis

ronlewis Active Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Hey, they got TRS, why not TIS?

9. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    When you get a copy of tec stream. And you see it open on your screen you will see the words t i s tech stream right up in the left hand corner next to connect to a vehicle

10. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Hope to have a dealer login by the end of the week

11. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    You should contact Dr Prius about gen1 compatibility.

The decoding of the data is simplified if you buy and believe their premium service where they pass judgement.

IMG_2753.jpeg
    The above demo mode summarizes the results and bad results are in red.

They also have a capacity test you hear about when somebody is fighting a code but Dr Prius says there is capacity left.

IMG_2750.jpeg IMG_2751.jpeg

The free version gives you a screen of data generally with yellow and red pointing out concerns. IMG_2748.jpeg

12. ammdb

ammdb Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I recently got the Dr. Prius app and paid for the upgrade since it works on my '06 Highlander Hybrid.

The battery test and life expectancy are not implemented for Gen1, so not worth the paid app version. Otherwise it does provide useful info.

13. ronlewis

ronlewis Active Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Thanks. Ammdb. That's what it looked like. So, a harder question, why I was hoping someone had already explained it, but what is the useful part of the info it does provide? Basically just the battery monitor screen. What data do I want to see and what is bad data? I mostly work on Ford diesels, and I know what that data means, but this is a whole nuther animal. I'd love to find an easy way to test these batteries for life expectancy, and maybe an intelligent guess is buried in that data somewhere.