1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

dr prius lithuim modules problems

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by mikweb73, Jun 14, 2023.

1. mikweb73

mikweb73 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    about a year ago i swapped out the metal hydride modules for dr. prius lithium. it worked great as advertised .....until winter ,(coldest temp i know of was 15F ) about 6 months ago , when battery issues started cropping up and i started driving my other car more and only occasionally the prius, the situation got worse , i had to regularly wipe the dtcs from the computer , now it went into limp home mode . and does not use the battery at all until i wipe the error codes , then it runs normal except it is constantly discharging and charging the hv battery like its testing it and it gets worse then does not use the battery no matter how hard i try to accelerate. the electric motor can suddenly cut in and out causing lurching , the battery status bars on the display go up and down a lot faster than normal and sometimes jumps up and down like it can not sense the actual state of the battery charge and is guessing and reguessing wildly. the battery modules have the same resistance and number one and two are lower in voltage but only a couple tenths , but not error codes for a specific module.
    please let me know what might be the cause and remedy for this problem. thank you.
    p3000
    p0a80
    c1259
    c1310

2. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Welcome to PriusChat!!

You might check the HV battery ECU, both the orange socket and inside the case where the pins attach to the PC board.

Have you spoken with the dr lithium warranty department about this?

FYI : you're moderated until you've posted 5 times.

3. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    With the normal metal hydride battery once you start flopping back from fully charged to half mast to empty and back to full again very quickly unusually quickly like you've not noticed ever before that's generally your battery telling you there are problems with the lithium cells I'm going to assume similar The minute this started in one of my cars as soon as the battery was swapped out that stuff was gone

4. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Greetings... When you installed the Lithium pack did you use new wiring for the voltage sensor harness ( aka: wire, frame, No.2)?

There's is a known problem that happens to a small number of older Prius that's caused by the corrosion that was created with the old NiMH pack. If you open up the inside of the battery ECU and find corrosion on one of the pins where the voltage sensor plug connects to the circuit board, that corrosion is causing bad readings of voltage. By cleaning those pins and replacing your voltage sensor harness you fix that problem. Also Nexcell has designed an upgrade kit for $100 that will not only prevent this issue from coming up, but it will also further boost your MPG.

Prius Rising likes this.
  5. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I think the logical guess is that your replacement modules are not going to work out as good
    as you had hoped.
    But they will have to be tested to prove that.
    Have you contacted the company that you bought them from ??

Georgina Rudkus likes this.
  6. Georgina Rudkus

Georgina Rudkus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    The electronics were engineered and designed for NiMh batteries with a 20 plus years proven track record. When and if I need a replacement, I'll get a brand new NiMh vattery from my Toyota dealer/

7. sam spade 2

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Indeed. Me too.
    Not everything can be improved by having an "amateur" tinker with it.

8. donbright

donbright Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    considering Dr Prius makes an app, i would imagine they could get telemetry from the app and better analyze what the issue might be.

9. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes, that's exactly what has happened... And despite selling close to 1000 packs less than a dozen have had this issue, but one of the main reasons they've been sold out for so long is that Nexcell takes these problems seriously and so they redesigned the circuits in the modules to eliminate the problem, which in this case led to a discovery that the new circuits that keep modules so perfectly balanced no matter what Prius battery ECU does that it has led a significant improvement in MPG has been realized, which led to further refinement of the circuits, which has led to more delays. But I can't tell you how great it is to work with people who don't cut corners and want to deliver the highest quality system possible even if it drives me crazy that I have so many people ready to buy while we wait for the next shipment of packs to arrive.

#9 PriusCamper, Jun 15, 2023
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2023
    Prius Rising likes this.
  10. donbright

donbright Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    so what are they doing for the 1 percent of customers with this problem?

11. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Everyone thus far has had their pack replaced under warranty, even though the problem has more to do with Prius battery ECU than than the actual performance of the pack. And in addition to that all existing Nexcell owners can get shipped the new circuit upgrade pack for close to under $100, even if they've never had an issue. And who wouldn't want an upgrade that significantly improves MPG?

12. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Tell me more about how an amateur can do battery chemistry research and testing for 8 years and then contract with a factory in China to produce something for the the past few years that has been tested to same standards as major auto makers and then they keep improving on each iteration to ensure that even the most minor of product failure risk are addressed?

Perhaps you'd like to make a friendly wager about how almost all Prius built 2000-2015 that are still on the road a decade from now will be running on Nexcell packs?

I'll bet you $8 dollars? And we can set it up as a smart contract through the DAO so I automatically get paid by you in 2033?

bisco likes this.
  13. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    The interesting part is last year the company would not share how they made lithium cells compatible with the existing NiMh charging algorithms. Just a lot of rhetoric about how well tested they were. Now the story is different "redesigned the circuits in the modules to eliminate the problem, which in this case led to a discovery that the new circuits that keep modules so perfectly balanced no matter what Prius battery ECU does..."

#13 rjparker, Jun 15, 2023
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2023
  14. sam spade 2

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    SO......that is what they are TELLING you. But how do you know that isn't just some made up fiction that
    they are feeding you in an attempt to keep you happy ??
    I mean how do you REALLY know ??

15. sam spade 2

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Scams come in all sizes and shapes.
    Some of the perpetrators are really smart people.
    And they can suck in fairly intelligent people to do their "marketing" for them.

This may not be one of those cases........but it sure does bear some of the earmarks.

16. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    funny how no one blames toyota when an oem pack fails early. they just say, '$h!t happens', it's under warranty.

ColoradoCrow likes this.
  17. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Getting warranty is fine; being ghosted when needing the original order, support or parts is completely different. Why should a buyer have to ask on a forum rather than directly to the seller?

18. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i don't see where the op posted that happening

19. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Other than an improper installation, I've never once heard of a OEM pack failing prior to expiration of replacement pack warranty, what is it, like 4 years? As in EV cars are awesome because electric power doesn't require hardly any moving parts that can fail... I mean how many times in your life have you bought a battery that's defective right away, rather than simply failing a little sooner than normal after lots of use?

20. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That's not true... For more than 3 years the owner of the company has been actively engaged in explaining all the details on here and elsewhere with nothing off-limits for discussion ever. Of course when I've tried to post Nexcell details on your Prius FB group you've not approved the posts because pretending like there's no transparency is how you perpetuate your nonsensical anti-advancement agenda. Not much different than Toyota explaining why EV cars are not practical and no one wants them. It's one dishonest claim after the next with y'all as the world advances while you just sit there.