1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Drag race between 2012 Prius C one and 1994 camry le

Discussion in 'Prius c Main Forum' started by TheyCmeNow, Jun 30, 2013.

1. TheyCmeNow

TheyCmeNow Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    It all started as a joke. A buddy of mine claims to be able to "smoke" me in his 94 camry le (4 cylinder) I was curious and looked up specs for both cars.

Camry:
    125 Horsepower
    3087 lbs
    0-60 = 8.0 seconds
    Quarter mile = 15.9 seconds

Prius C:
    99 Horsepower
    2500 lbs
    0-60 = 10.7 seconds
    Quarter mile = 18.0 seconds

Source: streetspecs

I don't know if power mode was factored in. He has 26 more horsepower but i'm 587 lbs lighter. And it also helps knowing that the camry is older while my car is new.. :whistle:

We haven't raced yet but we still want to. I want to see how people react with a drag racing prius :eek:

Comments are appreciated.

2. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Power mode has no effect on full throttle acceleration, all the modes map partial throttle differently, but when the pedal is to the metal, all is equal.

If you put the car in D and hold down the brake, full throttle will charge the battery to the max, just in case you need to 'cheat'. (remove the spare to save weight)

TheyCmeNow likes this.
  3. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    PWR doesn't give the Prius more power. It's a remapping of throttle position, so it doesn't matter. When it comes to drag races, power to weight ratio is king. The Camry has 0.04 hp/lb. The PC also has 0.04 hp/lb using the nmbers you provided. (The Camry has slightly more power if you ignore significant digits.) I have a hard time believing an old 4 cyl Camry does 8 seconds to 60. I'll give the win to whoever weighs less.

TheyCmeNow likes this.
  4. Rob.au

Rob.au Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    i-Tech
    While everyone is right about Power mode in a Prius, the c doesn't even have a Power mode anyway. I suspect TheyCmeNow is talking about the Power mode in the Camry.

If we're talking about an XV10 Camry (or SDV10 as they came to be here), I've had many hours and km behind the wheel of one between about 1996 and 2006. IIRC the Power button existed on those with automatic transmissions and had the function of telling the car to stay in the lower gears for longer. I used to use this on the mountain climb I used to have to do regularly in that car, then turn it off at the top. I suspect a 1994 Camry would have had slightly higher power levels (they kept restricting them to comply with newer emissions standards), but regardless the power/weight ratios are very similar.

If the c has a high SoC (ie at least > 60% SoC) and you're on level ground, I'd say the c has an edge.

Thinking back to the mountain pass I used to do - if you were going from the bottom to the top the Camry would win easily, every time, no problem. Where the c has the problem is that for maximum power output it will consume petrol and it will consume charge from the HV battery. Recharging the HV battery comes from two sources - regen braking on hills or coming to a stop (not happening on a continuous hill climb) or from charging by the ICE. The HV battery doesn't have enough charge in it for a continuous hill climb at power, so you're left with the issue that in this situation, eventually, all your power is coming out of your ICE and your petrol tank. The c can't perform at its best in this situation.

5. TheyCmeNow

TheyCmeNow Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    His Camry has a power button. As for me, by "power" I meant turning off the Eco button. I read somewhere that without Eco mode, the throttle is slightly better. And yes, the spare will be taken out for more weight reduction.

6. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    In the US, it was an O/D button. Its function was to lock and unlock 4th gear which is the overdrive gear.

7. Rob.au

Rob.au Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    i-Tech
    That's different. The Power button was an additional button to this.

The throttle is mapped differently, but it is no better. If you push the pedal all the way, there is no difference between ECO Mode and Normal Mode, unless you have the air con on (and even here the difference is that ECO Mode can restrict the power used by the air con).

8. ztanos

ztanos All-around Geek!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    My co-worker has a 98 4 cylinder camry. I beat him every time. The 4 cylinder could not possibly get 8 seconds to 60.

TheyCmeNow likes this.
  9. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney EditProfOptInfoCustomUser Title

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Video or it didn't happen!

Start your diet now and make sure you evacuate fully before the drag run to minimize weight. Remember that you can also help reduce your weight further by shaving down and driving naked.

I believe there's a poster here who drag races his Prius as he enjoys squeezing performance out of non-performance cars.

minkus, mmmodem and TheyCmeNow like this.
  10. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    8.0 secs in that era needed the 3.0 litre V6 Camry so I'm a little sceptical about that number. You'll beat him off the line initially but he'll slowly reel you in is my guess. He won't smoke you but it'll be a close race based on numbers with him slightly ahead.

11. TheyCmeNow

TheyCmeNow Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    One

I got those numbers from Car Specs, Car MPG | StreetSpecs.com

12. TheyCmeNow

TheyCmeNow Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    This guy ^ :eek:
    I'm speechlesss
    haha!

13. ztanos

ztanos All-around Geek!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I'm missing something. I don't see 0-60 times.

I did just find on another site that the V6 did it in 8.0 seconds, however. The 4 cylinder is 10.9 seconds.

14. mahout

mahout Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two

Hate to burst your bubble but we have a 2002 Toyota 4 cylinder Highlander (3500 lb) here that will leave mine and another C in the dust from stop or low speed start. Both top out about 98 mph on track but by then the Higlander is a quarter mile in front.
    Its torque that matters in acceleration, not hp. HP matters to top speed along with aero drag which the C wins easily but the extra 60 lb-ft of torque matters enough. And gear ratios count too. The highlander should win that battle. Once over 60 mph the C may begin to have an edge. may
    The highlander 2.4 liter engine( has about 140 lb-ft of torque compared to 85 lb-ft of torque in the C. Big advantage. The Camry should do at least as well though it won't lose an aero drag over 60mph.
    But on our autocross course the Prius C wins as easily as it loses the acceleration battle. Ours is a race shop and the inevitable confrontaion was assured. But then 48 mpg beats the crap out of 18 mpg. Wait til we get a supercharger on that other C. Then we'll dust the Highlander and still get 40 mpg. If I were Totota I'd have that forced induction performance model ready to go with the change over to the Mazda2 chassis and outHonda Honda. Somebody'sd gotta lead he way as gas approaches $8/gal per our DOE director.
    PS one of the errors most people make is comparing 0-60 mph times; its misleading. The critical facxtor is the distance the vehicle travels in a given amount of time. Way back in the fifties my da's friend had a cadillac and he demonstrated that by out accelerating me easily in my dad's Ford though we both had about the same horsepower to pound ratioos. But his 350+ cubic inch Caddy beat my dad's 289 even though his weighed a lot more . Axle ratios count too.
    So don't take your Prius C to the drag strip thinking you're going to winn a few trophies.
    The C does do an adequate job passing cars in the 50-60 mph range though once on the interstate plan ahead.

15. TheyCmeNow

TheyCmeNow Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    I wasn't expecting to win any trophies. This race is for shits and giggles. As for my source, I probably got the info for the v6 instead of the v4

Prius C is an mpg car and it's great! Just the idea of drag racing a PC is comical.

16. ztanos

ztanos All-around Geek!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    The electric motor gets the full extent of its torque as soon as you touch the pedal... the Highlander does not... I'd bet that the Prius C will beat a highland off the line every time. It most likely won't win the 0-60 as I think it's around 9.5 for the Highlander, but it will beat it off the line.

TheyCmeNow likes this.
  17. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

How does the 2AZ engine in the Highlander compare to the 5S-FE in the Camry? One is 10 years newer with better technology (variable valve timing). The 2.2 litre in the Camry makes less than the 1.8 litre in the Corolla today. It'll be a closer race between the c and the Camry for sure than the c vs. the Highlander.

18. Mr Incredible

Mr Incredible Chance favors the prepared mind.

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    A couple of thoughts.

Be sure to turn off the ECO mode.

The C is slow out of the hole. Be ready to jump on it FAST.

Be sure to take out the rubber floor mats and empty the glove box and washer fluid to save weight. Don't race until you have less than half a tank.

It MAY be possible to turn off the traction control and get a little wheel slip. It won't be much, but every little bit is going to help. For all the frightend here, I doubt seriously that there will be enough wheel spin to damage anything or get a huge smokey burnout going.

Pay attention to the driving portion and keep your eyes out of the cockpit.

Carry on, and good luck.

TheyCmeNow likes this.
  19. TheyCmeNow

TheyCmeNow Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    Now I have to look for a drag strip. What should I look for 1/4 or 1/8th?

20. ztanos

ztanos All-around Geek!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    According to Edmunds road test found here:

2012 Toyota Prius C Road Test Specs

Track Test Results
    Acceleration, 0-30 mph (sec.) 3.6
    0-45 mph (sec.) 6.6
    0-60 mph (sec.) 11.3