1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Dragged, kicking and screaming, and now own a Pruis

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by mgrant8163, Jan 2, 2011.

1. mgrant8163

mgrant8163 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I'm a newbie Prius owner in Northern California. My in-laws have two Gen II cars and love them. We rented a bright red 2010 for Thanksgiving week and my wife decided that she had to have one. I'm so tired of hearing about MPG I could just spit!

So, about a month ago, we bought a 2010. Now she wants ME to drive it! (I just hate hand-me-downs). I consider myself a "car guy" and have not had a vehicle without at least 300 HP for at least 10 years. The Prius is a shock to my system. Here's what she got on the car:

*Dark grey exterior- nice and shinny, I like the color,
    *Dark tinted windows. Thank goodness, what if one of my friends see me in it?
    *Factory leather interior - I like the color combo of the light leather and dark dash, mats, etc., heated seats,
    * Sunroof with solar pannel- stupid question...why do I have a solar panel that doesn't charge the battery? The sunroof is nice though,
    * Navi system with hands free phone- great system with touch screen

This car is growing on me, especially since one week I drove it for a week in downtown San Francisco. Awesome to park and easy to get around with. Dislikes (so far):

* Exterior stying - this thing is really ugly. The interior is pretty nice and I almost get used to it. As soon as I step outside of the car, I'm reminded how ugly it is.
    * Hub caps- I don't know if I've ever owned a car with hub caps. In fact, I"m not sure if my father has ever owned a car with hub caps. I give them a life of 6 months before I put some nice wheels on the car and upgrade to 17's.

Since the main purpose of the car is to get great MPG, the gloves are off. I'm going to work on getting the best MPG possible. Does anyone have any mods that I should look into?

Mike

2. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The first thing I'd modify is your crappy attitude.

4 people like this.
  3. mgrant8163

mgrant8163 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks for diving right in with a personal attack your "A-Holiness."

2 people like this.
  4. Airbalancer

Airbalancer Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Do a search on solar panel. it operators a fan to keep the interoir of the car same temp as outside so the car does not over heat in the summer

I find the exterior to nice to the interoir, each to their own

5. outoftown

outoftown Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    We've owned gen 1 and have a couple of gen 2 but my wife and I have been driving a 2010 Prius rental around the last two weeks. On the gen 2, the hubcaps are really trim rings and can be removed. I like the look of the gen 2 better without the rings. If you want to improve the mpg, the best thing to do is pay attention to the display and change your driving habits from the 300hp days. Leave the car in eco-mode when you can. My only dislike about the 2010 so far is the noisy and short-lived Goodyear Integras. I would never buy these tires but I see a lot of 2010 with other brands. Driving habits make a difference...my wife averages 3 to 5 mpg less than I do on our gen 2s. Tires choice can impact mileage 2~3 mpg, so read up in PriusChat to learn more about LRR tires and many other tips from those that stretch out their mpgs.
    Welcome to PriusChat. You are a convert, but the previous poster noted that you our calling the forum's baby ugly, so forgive the immediate response. If you want a pretty Prius, look at the Lexus 200H coming out in March 2011.

6. mgrant8163

mgrant8163 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I saw a good discussion here on the solar panel possible mod but it didn't sound like anyone had actually done it or attempted it. It just seems like a no-brainer that if my car is parked at the airport for a week that the panel would keep the battery charged. On a hot day in traffic, maybe the panel could keep the car running off the battery for a minute longer and get even better mileage.

7. mgrant8163

mgrant8163 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks. Actually my driving style is pretty good and with the one minute MPG bar chart on the dash it's getting even better. Since I'm used to the 300hp days I'm pretty good at saving fuel out of necessity. I used to get 30 MPG on the highway in my 2002 Corvette convertible. Just as you said, my wife gets 3 or 5 MPG less than I do pretty consistently. At Christmas, between the two Gen II cars and my driving of the Gen III, I have the family record so far at 43.6 MPG from Northern CA to Southern CA. I don't know how some of the other members here are getting 50+ averages but we have lots of hills plus a lot more highway speeds of 60 MPG +.

We have yet to put the car in "power mode" for any longer than to get a laugh. It seems such an oxy-moron for this car. It's always in "Eco" mode. Isn't that the point? We also try to put the car in "EV" mode as often as possible (I call it "golf cart" mode") but find it very hard to keep it there. We either exceed the 25 MPH limit, or accellerate too hard, or the battery just needs more juice.

I'll be glad when the stock tires wear out. I'm with you, not impressed with them. I'll be upgrading to 17's with maybe a lower profile, stickier rubber (as long as my MPG doesn't get hurt).

Other vehicles right now:

'02 BMW 745 Li
    '07 Chevy 3/4 ton Diesel Duramax
    '03 Bourget Fat Daddy chopper
    '01 KTM MX400 dual sport

P.S. I'm thinking of getting a license plate frame that says: "less gas = more shopping, more shopping = more jobs" What do you think?

8. Airbalancer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Re: Dragged, kicking and screaming, and now own a Prius

Think of the power / econ buttons the same your pointer speed
    Power pushed , the more sensitive the gas pedal is, the less you need to push it
    econ mode you need to press the gas pedal, helpful in the gliding mode
    I can travel about 2 miles on battery up to 40 mph on the back road, as long as no one is behind me and in econ mode it is easier to feather the gas pedal

9. mgrant8163

mgrant8163 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three

That's interresting about the sensitivity of the gas pedal. We had a BMW M3 convertible once and my wife was afraid to drive it in "Performance mode" (I never drove it out of Performance Mode). The sensitivity (or lack thereof) of the Prius gas pedal is something I have to get used to every time I get in it. The BMW mode actually changed the engine timing and suspension settings. I guess I assumed the Pruis did something similar, not just change the sensitity of the gas pedal.

10. wick1ert

wick1ert Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    From someone with Solar panels on their house, you have one main issue that makes the mod you mention essentially not worthwhile.

Most solar panels max out around 200 watts peak production (this is the max, in ideal conditions over the course of an hour). The panel on the prius is smaller than this, and probably around 100 watts max peak is my guess. Remember, this is peak production under ideal conditions. I don't recall the exact size of the Hybrid battery in the Prius, but I believe it's roughly 1.5 kw/h. In this scenario, to fully charge the battery pack would take roughly 15 hours. This is assuming no draw on it, and full, peak production. The odds of obtaining this as extremely slim for any extended time period.

Any extension you may get with setting it up to slowly trickle charge the hybrid battery pack isn't really going to get you much at all. In fact, the biggest draw on the hybrid battery outside of the electric motor is probably the A/C compressor. If the compressor right off the bat doesn't have to work as hard, I think you're getting a better benefit of it powering the fans pulling hot air out of the car.

11. Airbalancer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

we have a2000 323cic and it about the same as sport mode
    ours does not change the suspension settings

12. markf57

markf57 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Mike:

Are you referring to the plastic wheel covers? Pull them off. Under the plastic you will find a really nice wheel. You can buy 1 1/2 electrical knockout plugs at Home Depot to cover the hole in the middle. There is a thread on here somewhere about the plugs. I installed mine yesterday.

Thanks,

Mark

13. mgrant8163

mgrant8163 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Another member commented that the solar panel puts out about 80 watts at peak production. Living in sunny California, we get a lot of peak days.

I read an article about the gen IV coming up next year that gets in the upper 80 MPG. One of the big changes was that the car runs only on battery (unless hard accelleration is needed) for the first 10 minutes upon each start up. Because of our driving habits, a lot of going to the store and home would be battery only. That's how it gets such an amazing increase. So...using that theory, my thought is that anything might help, whether it's parked and just needs a top off (then the engine doesn't have to do it) or running in traffic on EV mode. I don't really understand all the electric stuff, but as long as the panel is there and producing power, I'd like to harness it. Thanks/MG

14. Troyroy

Troyroy Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    wick1ert

I'm certain that the OP was talking about the 12 volt battery in the truck....not the traction battery pak.

Sounds like a good idea to me.....have to roof trickle charge the small battery.

15. mgrant8163

mgrant8163 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks Mark, I'll look for the thread. How do your's look?

16. markf57

markf57 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
  17. donee

donee New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi mgrant8163,

That is 1 minute on battery, not 10 , while the engine warms up. So, be careful doing heavy acceleration up a hill during that time. If you have to go up a hill, and need to accellerate up it, right after driving away, its best to wait with the car in drive for 1 minute stationary, then pull out of the parking spot.

With regards as to the question about why the solar panel is not set up to charge the HV battery, the issue was RFI (Radio Frequency Interferance). The scuttlebut is that they could not come up with a voltage converter, that would not back couple common mode RF energy into the solar panel. The solar panel being a flat insulated sheet above the metal roof of the car acts like a microstrip patch antenna. And caused excessive interferance to nearby radios.

Their fall back was to use a relay to just switch the panel over to the ventilation fan, thus help avoiding superheating of the interior of the parked car.

18. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I like it :D

19. mgrant8163

mgrant8163 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three

No way! Are those wheels really under there? They aren't half bad. Why did Toyota decide to cover them up (and it cost them a few $$ too). I saw a truck full of new Prius's going to a dealer the other day and told my wife that they had changed the wheels to a one piece. I guess the dealer had not installed the hub caps yet.

I can't wait until my wife gets home (with the Prius) and to take off those ugly plasic covers. Next stop, the hardware store....LOL. Thank you, thank you.

20. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    They improve fuel economy quite significantly (well 4 or 5 mpg).

You can buy official Toyota center caps but they're very expensive each one.