1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Dramatic Drop in Fuel Mileage - Please help

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by ginostef, Jun 22, 2006.

1. ginostef

ginostef New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I have a 2004 Prius, Option 9, with about 35K miles on it. I've been through two winters and two summers, this one is the third summer. It has been pretty consistent with mileage, getting between 47 and 52 all the time. My high was 57. Now, the last three tanks, my mileage has dropped to 38-40. I'm shocked - because I already do all the things, driving style, A/C control, yada yada to get as much as I can. Here in VA with a long commute on the highway at high speed - this is about as good as it gets (47-52).

A couple things have changed inregard to the car. I had a very poor experience with a dealer, not my normal one, who did the second recall for the computer - reflash, and alignment, etc. Right after that, I got about 50mpg so I didn't think much of it. Almost on top of that, I bought the Goodyear Comfortreds, based upon all the good comments here. I run them at 44 and 42. While I also have trouble filling the bladder, I am patient and top it off. These numbers aren't the MFD numbers - they are calculated. The MFD numbers have also lately become far less accurate. Lastly, I installed the BT Tech brace. That helped the handling with the Comfortreds which I find to be a bit problematic. While I did not like the Integrities, the squashy sidewall on the Comforttreds, even at these inflation pressures, cause some oversteer that I don't like. I'll live with it.

Anyone have any idea what might be happening here? Perhaps the battery is requiring charging more than usual? Help!

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    How long have you been running the Comfortreads...usually takes at least 1-2000 miles to break them in and they will give a tiny drop in mileage even after break in....and have you rechecked the pressure?

Did you have a new alignment done after the Comfortreads were put on? Definately need to if not.

Check the oil level, if it's way too high that could be a problem.

Double check the parking brake...sometimes if it's partly down it can cause a little drag.

Check to make sure your defroster isn't on.

3. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    After I got my TripleTreds, I sprung for the Lifetime Alignment at Firestone.

Every 10,000 miles now, I sit there some Saturday morning until they can get to it, but my tires might wear better...

4. ginostef

ginostef New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Jun 22 2006, 12:42 PM) [snapback]275289[/snapback]</div>
    HI Evan - thanks for responding. I've been running then about 2K miles or just a little less. I check the air pressure relentlessly in hopes of finding a low tire or something, nada. I have not had it realigned since putting them on since I had it aligned just before, but with the way it handles, I will definitely do that because the last alignment was way off and the change was dramatic after it.

Parking brake is okay and I'm sure the defroster is off. Perhaps the alignment. OR - maybe the A/C needs to be recharged or checked? That would make it run more than it has the past two summers. Anyone have any bad experiences with the reflash? I kind of counted that out, but maybe should not have. Thansk again Evan!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mikepaul @ Jun 22 2006, 12:46 PM) [snapback]275291[/snapback]</div>
    I wish I had gotten that, but didn't. I got the tires through tirerack and had them mounted locally. For alignment I usually go to the local NTB, and yes, spend my hours waiting for it to be done as well! I think that's my next stop, and as Evan also pointed out - I'll check the oil level again. This dealer that serviced my car was particularly bad - destroyed my seats, didn't do the TSB on the fuel filler, etc and didn't rotate the tires per the 30K. I won't go back - but I will check the oil again!

Thanks!

5. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Like most of the country you're probably now burning 10% ethanol and a summer formulation, both of which decrease MPGs.

Did you change gas stations at the same time, or did your gas station make changes to their pumps (of course any changes may not be obvious )?

Please don't top off. You run the risk of saturating the vapor recovery canister and greatly increasing hydrocarbon emissions. Eventually this will require replacement of the canister.

6. ginostef

ginostef New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(richard schumacher @ Jun 22 2006, 03:36 PM) [snapback]275388[/snapback]</div>
    HI Richard,

Thanks for your reply. I've used the same gas station all the time I've had the Prius - at least 90% of the time and all these tanks are the same. So - yes they went to Ethanol, but because it is a warmer climate here this time of year, my gas mileage is better than the winter (where it is cold enough to need to run the heater and the ICE). That's kind of why I was so surprised to see the mileage drop like a rock from one tank to the next.

I don't top off to the point of runover, or even to get the gas up far enough to see it or hear it. It really needs to have the filler tube updated, but the dealer doesn't seem to get it. I do try to fill it with what I think the mileage would indicate should go in and that works without saturating the canister.

Thanks!

7. HokieHybrid

HokieHybrid New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    As I haven't had to get mine serviced yet I don't have a lot of experience with service at the dealer. I'm curious, where did you get the poor service? PM me if you don't feel good about posting to the board, but we openly discuss dealer experiences here usually.

8. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ginostef @ Jun 22 2006, 01:21 PM) [snapback]275313[/snapback]</div>
    for that kind of mpg drop, it'd have to be so out of alignment it's nearly undrivable.

if it's discharged, it won't run and you'll get a check engine light. if the system detects a leak, there's an environmental safety switch that'll kick the system off. environmentally smart ;)

not so much oil level, but look in the throttle body to see if the oil change folks overfilled badly enough to get oil in the throttle body. you'll find the throttle body under the air filter. take a look. even that is a relatively minor mpg factor.

the heat does affect battery performance, but remember it operates in a strict 40-80% SOC range.

there is a LOT less energy in E10 than in regular gas, especially regular summer gas. if the gas station recently changed to E10, find a station to fill up with ethanol-free gas and see if you get your regular numbers. i suspect that's what's doing it, if they recently changed over to E10.

9. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ Jun 22 2006, 05:18 PM) [snapback]275477[/snapback]</div>
    The EPA states 33 percent less, in it's pure form. At the 10 percent in E10, that's just 3.3 percent. With respect to Prius, that translates to about a 1.7 MPG drop... and my 56,000 miles of data using E10 in the 2004 Prius seems to confirm that pretty well.

10. ginostef

ginostef New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(HokieHybrid @ Jun 22 2006, 05:26 PM) [snapback]275448[/snapback]</div>
    I a;ready posted the information on the bad service and the destruction of my seats, etal,. It was Bill Page Toyota in Falls Church VA. If you look at my other posts you'll see it - very unhappy experience and unlike the service I get from Miller Toyota in Manassas. My problem was that I need my Prius to commute HOV so if I have to leave it, then I am on the road over 4 hours for a commute that day - if I get there at all! So I thought I'd find a place up where I work and then everything would be cool. Not!

11. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(john1701a @ Jun 22 2006, 06:52 PM) [snapback]275501[/snapback]</div>
    duly noted, thanks for the info. :)

we haven't used it here.

12. HokieHybrid

HokieHybrid New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ginostef @ Jun 22 2006, 08:15 PM) [snapback]275539[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks for the info. Not too far from there at Koons Arlington Toyota I have been pleased thus far with the service dept. I dropped off my parents Camry and they did a thorough check for a noise that we never could diagnose. It went away the moment I got it. They didn't charge me for anything more than the oil change, and they have a shuttle to Metro.

13. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ Jun 22 2006, 03:18 PM) [snapback]275477[/snapback]</div>
    in western wa, E10 is required ALL YEAR LONG. and has been around here since the late 80's. the drop in mileage is not that much. at least it doesnt seem to bother me. several in this area are getting comparable milage to anyone else in the country save the very warm south

14. ginostef

ginostef New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(HokieHybrid @ Jun 22 2006, 09:57 PM) [snapback]275580[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks -Koons was going to be my next stop - it's only a mile further than Bill Page. It's proving to be a crap shoot trying to find good Prius Techs at the Toyota dealers. When you find one, take him out to dinner and make friends!

Thanks again - nothing better than a personal endorsement.

15. ginostef

ginostef New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DaveinOlyWA @ Jun 22 2006, 10:12 PM) [snapback]275587[/snapback]</div>
    I'm going to look into when NVA got E10 to use, and if it was used last year as well. I think it was. If so, the mileage I got last two summers was excellent, well above where I am now, which is below my winter driving experience.

The variables that have been offered so far are:

Alignment - it was aligned, felt better, but felt much worse after putting on the Comfortreds the next week. This improved somewhat with the BT brace, but still is "Twitchy". Agreed - this is probably not a big contributor to mpg, but maybe some.

Oil overfill - the oil was changed by the dealer and he put in organic vs the synth that I normally run. It was filled to the top of the bars on the dipstick, so I will check the throttle body to see if this is an issue, and dump this organic mix, go back to M1.

Tire inflation - I'm running the Comfortreds at 42/40 - same as the integrities. Below that they feel very unpredictable so I'm going to leave them there.

E10 - changeover to E10 can caus a loss of energy and therefore mpg. Not sure about when NVA changes over and if this is a new thing or not. With our pollution in the DC area, I suspect this has been the case for some years, so if my previous two summers are on E10, this isn't relevant as I average in the mid 50s during the summer. will check

A/C - I checked it - I am ASE certified, and it's fine, maybe a few ounces low so I added it to bring it up to full and while it is a bit cooler, I don't detect a difference in load. With this synch motor, I doubt I would see it, except watching the pressure gauges. Nothing so far.

Computer Reflash - the same dealer did the second reflash recall for the 2004s. I have no way to know if it was done right, have to assume it was unless they only flashed a data table which COULD affect a lot of things when it comes to efficiency. Not sure Toyota will check it or back it out- we'll see.

One thing no one mentioned - is error codes. While I am not getting any idiot lights, if I go to the operational page (same one that we use to override the nav freeze while in motion), there is an error log. It's in hexadecimal, and the second page IS carrying data, (vice all zeros or all FFFFs), but I have no way to read them. ALl my error code readout devices do not marry to a hybrid test socket.

OKay - so I have some homework to do - will get back and post the results as I get them done. Thanks for all the help. If anyone has any more ideas - bring em on!

Gene

16. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Let me clarify something. The ethanol additive in fuel is NOT necessarily E10. Most places have not gone to E10, but rather they've replaced the MTBE with some percentage of ethanol that varies depending upon your location...probably b/w 3% and 5%.

17. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    i would think in a high polution area like DC that alcohol additives would be required all year. that is why we have it here. it started as a summer only thing back in the late 80's but went mandatory all year along the I-5 corridor in the mid 90's.

18. duanerw

duanerw senior member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I had the same problem with my 05.My mpg went way down after the dealer flashed my computer.I talked with
    the tec and he said that does happen and once you flash the computer you cant go back.
    I did fix my problem tho, the $3150 rebate and low mpg put me in an 06 pkg 4.total cost after rebate was
    $50.00 .my mpg now is much better than i was getting prior to the flash on the 05

19. devprius

devprius /dev/geek

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ginostef @ Jun 22 2006, 09:23 AM) [snapback]275280[/snapback]</div>
    I'm willing to bet that your gas milleage will slowly creep back up to normal after another 5 or 6 tanks. It sounds like you the SSC-50P recall work done. As part of this recall, the computer memory that governs the performance and efficiency of the engine has been reset. The computer has to re-learn how the engine is being used so it can tailor it for better fuel effciency (and thus fewer emissions). Going back to the old firmware wouldn't help in this case since the data that it had collected previously is gone as part of the reflash. Just give it some time and you should be fine.

I had the same drop in milleage that you experienced. After approximately 10 or so tanks, my milleage improved back up to where it was, and I swear, got a bit better than what I was getting the previous year.

20. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I would have called that theory wacky, but I've had the same experience: a significant drop in fuel economy after the last firmware upgrade, followed by steady improvement to better than before.