1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Dramatic drop of MPG. Ideas?

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by catlin64, Dec 10, 2011.

1. catlin64

catlin64 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I bought a 2007 Prius 3 months ago. It was low mileage and for the first two months...GREAT MPG (average city/hwy of low-to-mid-50's). Since then the MPG has dropped to low-to-mid 40's. I have done two oil changes (one regular oil, one synthetic). The air filter has been changed. I have put new tires on the car (recommended by Toyota)...and had a sudden stop to miss a deer. It was immediately after the sudden braking that the MPG began to drop. The more after oil changes/filters...and finally tires. It's frustrating as heck. Ideas?

2. Dark_matter_doesn't

Dark_matter_doesn't Prius Tinkerer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Check the 12 volt battery. If you do some reading on the Gen II forums, you'll find other accounts of owners resolving MPG drop-offs by replacing their 12V batteries.

Optimus makes a very good replacement with battery posts customized for Prii.

3. FLteacher

FLteacher Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I bet it's the cooler weather and/or new tires.

4. Dark_matter_doesn't

Dark_matter_doesn't Prius Tinkerer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    You'll also see the change from Summer to Winter gas formulation, and Winter gas can drop your mileage by 10% or more.

5. xpcman

xpcman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Cold weather, winter gas formula and new tires all contribute to lower MPG. Those old tires where giving you better than average MPG. When you change tires (what brand/model are the new tires?) they take some time to break-in. I assume you are running the heater more with winter temps. That causes the ICE to run longer and use more gas.

6. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
  7. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Short answer: colder weather. It hurts all cars, it's just more obvious in a Prius.
    Single best response: pump up the tires. You can go as high as the value shown on the sidewall. Tire pressures should be measured when the car has not been driven for at least an hour, and measured monthly or more often.

8. jbrad4

jbrad4 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced