1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Dramatic Loss of Power/Performance in My Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by jw_teacher, Aug 1, 2006.

1. jw_teacher

jw_teacher Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    This all of a sudden happened yesterday afternoon when I drove home from work...

Everytime I touched the gas, the car would stall for a good second or two then weakly start accelerating. There was nothing wrong with the battery charge as it was only one or two bars under full. I did not have the air conditioning on (to save gas) and had the windows partially open. However, in the back seat the exhaust vents for the battery were very loud, louder than I've ever heard them before.

It was like that again this morning and afternoon. My Prius is not performing the same on the road. Granted, I live in the midwest and it is over 100 degrees here. But I don't think that could be the reason for the loss of power. Any suggestions what could be wrong?!? :(

2. San_Carlos_Jeff

San_Carlos_Jeff Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jw_teacher @ Aug 1 2006, 04:12 PM) [snapback]295878[/snapback]</div>
    Sorry, no suggestions, but you should be concerned. I've driven in well over 100 degree temp and the power feels like it always does. I'd take it in as soon as you can.

3. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If the battery is overheated (car sitting in the sun for an extended period of time or recent heavy use (ie. charging/discharging)) it certainly could result in decrease performance. Based upon the fact that you could hear the fan running hard to cool it that would be my main suspicion.

How did it run after sitting all night in cooler temps? If performance was still off first thing in the morning I'd be concerned. If it's only after sitting in the sun for a long time and it's just a mild/moderate decrease that could be explained by decreased battery performance I wouldn't worry.

Not being there it's darn hard to know exactly what you're describing, but if it's bad morning and evening when you know the battery should be cool definately have it checked.

If you don't have a CEL and it's otherwise doing OK when cool then you can wait and watch.

4. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    the temperature in the battery compartment does determine the amount of power that can be extracted from the battery... as it gets hotter, the battery becomes less efficient. It's possible that, sitting in the sun, the car got extremely hot, including the battery compartment, and needed to cool down before it could provide max power (thus the fans straining). having the windows open instead of using AC could have delayed battery cooling, as the air temperature in the cabin wasn't cooling quickly. I'd recomend trying a comparison in similar situations of running the AC for a few minutes first to help rapidly cool the cabin temperature and see if the problem goes away. if it still has a problem with a relatively cool cabin, then i'd definately be worried and take it to the dealer.

You could also always get a can-view to see exactly whats going on with the batteries and the power and such.

Darn EFusco, you beat me to it! posted almost simultaneously!

5. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(San_Carlos_Jeff @ Aug 1 2006, 04:14 PM) [snapback]295882[/snapback]</div>
    I wouldn't. That's sounds exactly like my 102 F degree experience. The system simply went into battery-pack protective mode. The heat most definitely was to blame. All was fine after that single incident.

6. jbarnhart

jbarnhart New Member

From the description, it almost sounds like the "traction control" is kicking in. Is there any indication on the dash? Maybe there's a bad sensor or something.

7. jw_teacher

jw_teacher Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Yes, in all cases my car was sitting out in the sun. I left 10 o'clock this morning and it was well above 90 degrees. It was over 100 degrees both afternoons. I never tried the car at night.

I guess I have to be more careful to keep the battery cool prior to using it.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Aug 1 2006, 04:19 PM) [snapback]295886[/snapback]</div>

I will make sure to run the A/C from now on as long as it is this hot. I had no idea the battery couldn't sustain 100 plus degrees weather.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eagle33199 @ Aug 1 2006, 04:21 PM) [snapback]295889[/snapback]</div>

Thank you. Now I know it is a common occurance under this scenario and not a problem with the car itself.

Thank you everyone who replied.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(john1701a @ Aug 1 2006, 04:24 PM) [snapback]295891[/snapback]</div>

8. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This is why the battery vent is inside the cabin. The battery needs about the same temperature range that people find comfortable. I don't think that the owner's manual makes any mention of this, which is unfortunate. Imagine how many owners might be seasonally sweating and freezing under the mistaken impression that they are helping their fuel economy.

9. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I can reproduce this condition.

A. Drive car to work, park in sun.
    B. Go out for late lunch, about 1.5 miles away, around 2:30 pm.
    C. Park car in sun again.
    D. Leave for home a little early (say 5:00 pm).
    E. Car will run in sluggish mode with only one bar on the battery. Vent fan is on in the backseat on high, you can't miss the sound.

The key here is the late afternoon hot soak. The batteries are very hot from my lunch jaunt and had no opportunity to cool since the ambient air in the car is up over 120.

Going to lunch earlier helps, so does parking in the shade. (I already have tinted glass and a sunshade)!

You may also be able to prevent this by letting the vehicle run for a few minutes before driving off. (I know, crazy, huh?).

Nate

10. RichBoy

RichBoy New Member

did you leave the parking brake engaged ? if not, the take it to your Authorized Toyota Dealer ASAP

11. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    jw,
    When possible, use a window shade to reduce the sunlight entering the car when you must park in the sun. Also, crack all 4 windows a bit.

Park in the shade whenever possible. As stated, DO use the A/C. It will hurt your mpg a bit, but it'll help cool the battery pack on longer drives.

Pray that this dang heat wave passes soon!

12. hawkjm73

hawkjm73 New Member

This is a rather curious thing to me, as I've never had it happen with my Prius. Mine's an 05 that has sat out in the Phoenix sun all day at temps around 118F. I have never had it fail to start moving energeticly within seconds of start-up, even when it's had all day to bake. I do use the air-conditioner all the time, but that dosn't seem like it would have any real effect here. I'm usually moving before the air coming from the vents is even cold. It can't possibly have provided enough cool air to the battery to have had any effect by then. It just seems to me that there is something more going on here if a 100F battery exibits these symptoms and a 118F battery does not.

13. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The battery and associated electronics make their own heat while in use and will get a lot hotter than 120'F unless cooled. The original poster noted that the loss-of-power happened while in motion, which would have given the battery system time to heat itself up while sucking uncooled cabin air. Running the A/C continuously as you and I do never allows that self-heating to get out of hand.

14. hawkjm73

hawkjm73 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(richard schumacher @ Aug 2 2006, 02:29 PM) [snapback]296440[/snapback]</div>

Okay, I had read the op to mean the symptoms happened right away. If he ment it happened after a while driving, then it makes more sense. A minute or two of low speed (high battery use) driving without the AC on would definetly be much harder on the battery then the same drive with the AC on. Well, you know what they say about assuming. Sorry.

15. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    jw teacher, do you put the car into a hot soak like I did?

(just curious)

Nate

16. jw_teacher

jw_teacher Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(naterprius @ Aug 2 2006, 04:42 PM) [snapback]296560[/snapback]</div>

Kind of like that Nate. I left late in the morning with the windows partially open with the A/C off. I parked the car in the hot sun with the windows shut during the day. When I left work the car was an oven inside yet I only had the windows partially open again.

Yesterday I used the A/C and it solved my problem. The fans weren't blowing like crazy and the car was running like it used to. However, because the temperatures have finally cooled off into the 80's, I will go back to punishing myself to save gas. No more A/C as long as it is under 90 degrees! :p

17. mootsman

mootsman New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jw_teacher @ Aug 1 2006, 05:12 PM) [snapback]295878[/snapback]</div>
    Wow, it's a 100+ and no air on to save gas -- I couldn't get much further than that in the post. Really no offense meant at all...but why? I'm new to the Prius world but from what I've able to discern the mileage differential with the air on is pretty marginal....and I'm sure even more so if you have the temp set high enough to mostly just lower the humidity - I leave my home and prious on 80. Of course, here in mid GA the humidity may be a lot higher than your area -- I'm a pretty fit athlete but it has been brutal here.

18. jw_teacher

jw_teacher Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mootsman @ Aug 3 2006, 10:38 AM) [snapback]296975[/snapback]</div>
    No one understands how I can take it. People all the time would look at me crazy when I tell them I don't use the A/C. I simply got used to it after time. The humidity doesn't matter because the air coming in through the windows is enough to cool me. I would be sweating like crazy of course, but those few extra mpg's saved is what motivates me. I'm one of those nuts that coasts whenever possible, uses synthetic motor oil, inflates the tires to 44/42, and keeps anything out of the car deemed extra weight.

19. barbaram

barbaram Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    This is making sense, the pieces of the puzzle are fitting!

It has been very hot here lately and my mileage has been a bit off. Studying the battery and it has seemed a bit low. Often my commute is less than 15 minutes, so that's not enough time to cool down the car.

see my post in fuel economy:

http://priuschat.com/mileage-droppingand33...d33-t22670.html

20. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jw_teacher @ Aug 3 2006, 10:54 AM) [snapback]296944[/snapback]</div>
    Ah ha! Another place for improvement. When you get in the car open ALL the windows ALL the way. The hot air will exhaust, and the car will cool, much more quickly. This is especially true if you use A/C to cool the car. It isn't going to be putting out cold enough air to bring the inside down from 170F to the ambient 115F anywhere near as fast as straight replacement of the air.

Also, unless it is horribly crime ridden in your area, leave the windows open 1/2" during the day. It helps a lot.